A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

2006 A6 quattro 3.2 Rear Wheel Bearing replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2006 A6 quattro 3.2 Rear Wheel Bearing replacement

Hi all,

I want to replace the rear wheel bearing for my 2006 A6 quattro 3.2 and i couldn't find any tutorials for DIY.

I got a quote from an Audi dealer for the Part #: 4F0598625A for $194. Is it hard to replace it? Do i need to press the bearing into the hub? Is there a service manual describing this procedure?

Thank a lot for any input.
Old 09-15-2017, 12:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you explain the symptom of a bad wheel bearing?

Do you have a slight/constant(VERY annoying) shaking or vibration at higher speeds? (Highway speeds 60+)
Old 09-16-2017, 04:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

No experience w/rear wheel bearing failures on '06 A6 Avant w/221K (Sold) or '07 w/156K or '08 w/163K BUT '06 had new front wheel bearings installed between 165-175K. My '08 just needed new front wheel bearings at 160K. Symptoms were high pitched whine I first associated with noisy tires from lack of timely rotation. Left front was really noisy & got worse when turning! Got new wheel bearings from emiparts.com ($210) and had installed by local mechanic mechanic. ($275). Much quieter now!
Old 09-16-2017, 05:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by anikon
Hi all,

I want to replace the rear wheel bearing for my 2006 A6 quattro 3.2 and i couldn't find any tutorials for DIY.

I got a quote from an Audi dealer for the Part #: 4F0598625A for $194. Is it hard to replace it? Do i need to press the bearing into the hub? Is there a service manual describing this procedure?

I had to replace the front bearing on my 2006 A6. I think it is much more difficult compared to the old cars. The iron bearing is held in aluminum hub and dissimilar metals corrode and fuse together. I ended up bringing the car to the shop.

Not sure if the rear hub is aluminum or iron. also the rear hub could be easier to take of the car and bring to the guys with the press.

Last edited by beep-beep; 09-16-2017 at 05:12 AM.
Old 09-16-2017, 11:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by stuffinder
No experience w/rear wheel bearing failures on '06 A6 Avant w/221K (Sold) or '07 w/156K or '08 w/163K BUT '06 had new front wheel bearings installed between 165-175K. My '08 just needed new front wheel bearings at 160K. Symptoms were high pitched whine I first associated with noisy tires from lack of timely rotation. Left front was really noisy & got worse when turning! Got new wheel bearings from emiparts.com ($210) and had installed by local mechanic mechanic. ($275). Much quieter now!
Apart from the whining, did you ever experience light vibration/shaking at highway speeds?

This has been going on for awhile, and I'm trying to narrow it down. I've gotten under the car to check: axles/boots, upper lower arms, shocks and everything is still in great condition. Don't know if on of the wheels bearings are bad?
Old 09-16-2017, 01:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 174 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by anikon
Hi all,

If you follow the Bentley Repair manual, here is what is states to R&R to remove the wheel bearing housing:

Wheel Bearing Unit
Special tools, testers and auxiliary items required
Torque Wrench V.A.G 1332

Removing

Vehicles with coil springs

All Wheel Drive (AWD)

Remove wheel covers, remove cover cap on light-alloy wheels (removal hook in vehicle tool kit).
Loosen collar bolt for outer joint of drive axle (only loosen when vehicle is standing on its wheels "Risk of accident" ). Refer to Drive Axle Outer Joint Collar Bolt, Loosening and Tightening.

Remove coil spring.
Refer to Coil Spring .
Remove wheel speed sensor - 3 - . Refer to Brake System - Repair Group 45 .
Remove drive axle. Refer to Drive Axle .

All Wheel Drive (AWD)

Place vehicle on a hoist. Refer to Positioning Vehicle on Hoist and Wheels .
Remove wheel covers, remove cover cap on light-alloy wheels (removal hook in vehicle tool kit).
Loosen collar bolt for outer joint of drive axle (only loosen when vehicle is standing on its wheels "Risk of accident" ). Refer to Drive Axle Outer Joint Collar Bolt, Loosening and Tightening.

Drive Axle
Removing

Vehicles with coil springs

Loosen collar bolt for outer joint of drive axle. Refer to Drive Axle Outer Joint Collar Bolt, Loosening and Tightening .
Remove coil spring. Refer to Coil Spring .
Remove wheel speed sensor - 3 - . Refer to Brake System - Repair Group 45 .

All vehicles
Remove exhaust system rear muffler. Refer to Engine Mechanical - Repair Group 26 .

Remove rear final drive. Refer to Rear Final Drive 0AR - Repair Group 39 or Rear Final Drive 01R - Repair Group 39 .

Remove drive axle toward the inside.
Old 09-16-2017, 04:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TeamHate
Apart from the whining, did you ever experience light vibration/shaking at highway speeds?

This has been going on for awhile, and I'm trying to narrow it down. I've gotten under the car to check: axles/boots, upper lower arms, shocks and everything is still in great condition. Don't know if on of the wheels bearings are bad?
I did feel some vibration which increased w/speed and got worse when turning right. (left ront bearing was worst)
Old 09-18-2017, 02:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by stuffinder
I did feel some vibration which increased w/speed and got worse when turning right. (left ront bearing was worst)
Ok! Sounds similar to me. Thanks for the info

Did you just do both while you were at it?
Old 09-28-2017, 05:48 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thank you a lot. This is what i was looking for. Will let you know once i'm done with this.
Old 03-14-2018, 06:22 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I tried to train myself in a U pull it yard on a similar Audi and it’s not easy at all. I don’t have the tools to be able to replace it myself. I’m waiting for a quote from a shop.

so far it’s just the noise it makes, I checked if it has any play and it seems ok.

Quick Reply: 2006 A6 quattro 3.2 Rear Wheel Bearing replacement