A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

2006 Audi A6 Brake Sensor still on after changing pads

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 05:41 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Audi A6 Brake Sensor still on after changing pads

Good evening,

I have a 2006 Audi A6 (C6) 4.2. So a few weeks ago the brake light sensor came on. I just got around to changing the brakes tonight.

It was relatively straight forward and the only trouble I ran into was the silly clip (initially, I couldn't figure out how to get it off).

I replaced the brakes, start up the car and the sensor comes back on. I checked the connections, they seem secure. The master cylinder is full and the car brakes fine (perhaps a tad spongy).

I have VAG-COM and ran the diagnostic and no faults are coming up.

Is there a procedure I need to run or a value I need to set in VAG-COM? One guy overheard me discussing this at NAPA and told me that I needed to bleed the brakes with VAG-COM. I searched the net based on this and I can't find a step-by-step procedure to bleed the brakes with VAG-COM. Does the system need a value set as some sort of base initialization?

Any help would be appreciated as this thing is absolutely driving me nuts.

thanks guys!

- Derek
Old 07-01-2011, 06:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by [derek]
Good evening,

I have a 2006 Audi A6 (C6) 4.2. So a few weeks ago the brake light sensor came on. I just got around to changing the brakes tonight.

It was relatively straight forward and the only trouble I ran into was the silly clip (initially, I couldn't figure out how to get it off).

I replaced the brakes, start up the car and the sensor comes back on. I checked the connections, they seem secure. The master cylinder is full and the car brakes fine (perhaps a tad spongy).

I have VAG-COM and ran the diagnostic and no faults are coming up.

Is there a procedure I need to run or a value I need to set in VAG-COM? One guy overheard me discussing this at NAPA and told me that I needed to bleed the brakes with VAG-COM. I searched the net based on this and I can't find a step-by-step procedure to bleed the brakes with VAG-COM. Does the system need a value set as some sort of base initialization?

Any help would be appreciated as this thing is absolutely driving me nuts.

thanks guys!

- Derek
there is no procedure to execute. Simply replace brakes and reconect the sensor cables. Maybe sensors are faulty. Try to check the resistance between pins of the connector.
Old 07-01-2011, 06:49 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by beep-beep
there is no procedure to execute. Simply replace brakes and reconect the sensor cables. Maybe sensors are faulty. Try to check the resistance between pins of the connector.
Hmm, that seems like a good place to start. Is there resistance in the connector or is it a straight normally closed connection?

Thanks for responding to me, I really appreciate it.
Old 07-02-2011, 05:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 163 Likes on 117 Posts

It is just a continuous wire through the pad. It should be very low impedance.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by SchwarzS6
It is just a continuous wire through the pad. It should be very low impedance.
Indeed. Thanks for this. I took tires back off and gently pulled the wires and one came loose (on the passenger side). I took cut the shield, soldered the wire and taped it back up (checked with a multimeter) and no error!

Thanks for the help guys, now on to the spark plugs...

- derek