A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

2007 A6 vs Volvo S80

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 09:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 A6 vs Volvo S80

Greetings all. I am new here and come seeking your wisdom as A6 owners. I expect you are probably well versed on the competition from Volvo. I have narrowed our sedan choice to the two above. Both have approx 65K miles and are 2007s. The wife is keen on Volvo's safety record and innovations because of our 4 mo old son you will be our most prozed "cargo". I say Audi's safety record and test results is on par. Please share insights with re to a comp of these two and why I should go A6. Many thanks in advance.
Old 06-10-2011, 11:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 174 Likes on 153 Posts

Re: safety, have your wife review this thread: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...php?p=24155000. The Volvo doesn't even come close to this record, so if safety is the No. 1 factor for her, she'll pick the Audi A6.
Old 06-11-2011, 01:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Audi after 5 years will be better value if we compare to Volvo. + Audi interiors are better than Volvo. Just my opinion
Old 06-11-2011, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

my wife has Volvo S40. I count days when this POS will die. It has less miles then my A6. but A6 operates like new. S40 is falling aparts. wiring just clamsy. it is like IKEA of cars. Maybe Ford got all good stuff from Volvo and Volvo got all bad stuff from Ford but I would go with Ford then with Volvo
Old 06-11-2011, 12:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by beep-beep
my wife has Volvo S40. I count days when this POS will die. It has less miles then my A6. but A6 operates like new. S40 is falling aparts. wiring just clamsy. it is like IKEA of cars. Maybe Ford got all good stuff from Volvo and Volvo got all bad stuff from Ford but I would go with Ford then with Volvo
second that. MY friend had a S80 no the current gen, the one before. I think it was an 05 or 06 his parents got it new and gave it to him last year because he needs a car once he graduates college. Anyways the pillar trim on the passenger side by the front window is sagging and fell off. Kind of lame considering its supposed to be a luxury car. The navigation is cool as it pop up out of the dash, but the navigation seems cheap and after market because you use a remote to control. The only good thing about the Volvo is I think it has full standard leather seats and feel nicer than the Audis. The only good thing about the Volvo. So don't get one. The navigation sucks, and the interior trim is falling off. The head light wipers are cool though
Old 06-11-2011, 07:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Thanks

for the great feedback. That link on safety should settle the metter. I love the lines of the A6 as well. Gonna go test drive the A6 tomorrow, shud be fun!
Old 06-12-2011, 10:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Wow

Holy@#$%! OK, that was an eye opener. Took three testdrives today. First was an '08 A6 AWD Quattro with about 45K miles(Wht/tan). Sweet< smooth, tight, and def luxurious.

Second ride was an '06 A6 with over 100K miles. Not so good ride. Bad smell and beat up from two cross country trips (per Carfax), disappointing.

Lastly we testdroves a '07 Volvo S80 with 50K miles. Crisp and clean from the outside. Clean on inside as well. It had obviously been well cared for. Driving was another matter. It was slow, sluggish, and booooring. Our Accord was more responsive and fun! LOL, all I can say is wow. It will NO DOUBT BE an A6 now.

Now it's a matter of finding the right one and right dealer. Wish us well. We are looking forward to putting one in the garage.
Old 06-13-2011, 05:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Whatzigonnabe, you might want to consider a 09 A6, it has the upgraded engine.
I would say Volvo have gotten as much as they can out of this safety thing, the fact is that most luxury cars now a day are about the same or very close safety wise, just take a look at the government testing.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Yes

Originally Posted by The G Man
Whatzigonnabe, you might want to consider a 09 A6, it has the upgraded engine.
I would say Volvo have gotten as much as they can out of this safety thing, the fact is that most luxury cars now a day are about the same or very close safety wise, just take a look at the government testing.
Actually, I am trying to buy a FWD model because it appears MPG is better than the AWD Quattros. That being said, with cost in mind, I am targeting the '08s. From my experience there are more Quattros in the resale market than FWDs. Overall though, I AM SOLD. Funny thing, wife was talking crap about Volvos and the hype. It was one of those funny, I told you so moments that we husbands savor like a fresh cup of coffee in the morning,...
Old 06-13-2011, 11:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Whatzigonnabe
Actually, I am trying to buy a FWD model because it appears MPG is better than the AWD Quattros. That being said, with cost in mind, I am targeting the '08s. From my experience there are more Quattros in the resale market than FWDs. Overall though, I AM SOLD. Funny thing, wife was talking crap about Volvos and the hype. It was one of those funny, I told you so moments that we husbands savor like a fresh cup of coffee in the morning,...
Well, seems like your main concern was the safety, then why not go for AWD instead of FWD?

Quick Reply: 2007 A6 vs Volvo S80