A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

2007 S6 - Extended Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 12:07 PM
hsp
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 S6 - Extended Warranty

Considering the purchase of an extended warranty for my 2007 S6 (38000 miles). Feedback appreciated re: brand (Audi vs. Aftermarket) and level of coverage.
Old 05-11-2010, 12:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'm considering same, too, given that my factory warranty is finished in Oct. I started looking a month or two ago, then got distracted - would be interested in what you find.

From what I've learned, aftermarket is the only real option, as even the Audi-branded one is really a Fidelity warranty (with lots of markup in between, ahem).

Some of the overall companies I've been looking at, when first starting up:

1. Fidelity (Bruce_M here can provide quotes for them);
2. National Warranty Corp. (local Audi dealer provided them as an option to consider);
3. Nation Warranty Corp.

Gotta love all these variations on the names, eh? This, along with so many of the horror stories, is what caused me to start slowing down on the process, to ensure I was appropriately methodical in my approach.

One recommendation I've gotten (but not yet fully followed up on) is asking your trusted mechanic and/or service reps which extended warranty companies they've found to be good to work with, and why. As well as those they haven't enjoyed working with, and why...

That's what I've got so far, hopefully this (and info from others here) will help you along.
Old 05-11-2010, 01:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Interested in this too. We have till 50K correct?
Old 05-11-2010, 06:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

My experience with these aftermarket warranties is that they are not worth it.

I previously had GE warranty (warranty solutions) on my Jeep and they approved small items without issue. But until I had engine problems, the engine needed to be torn apart for diagnostics which would cost me about 1k...if it was covered, I wouldn't have to pay...but if it wasn't I would need to pay for the 1k just to know what was wrong...sorta like a gamble.

I ended up trading the car in and refunding my warranty.

Certified pre-owned warranty on the other hand is a diff story.
Old 05-11-2010, 07:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DirtyVegasTT
Interested in this too. We have till 50K correct?
Factory warranty remains in effect until the earlier of the two following events:
(a) 4 years from in-service date; or
(b) 50k miles on the odometer.

Generally seems to be two key factors impacting the pricing schedule for these:
1. whether or not the factory warranty is still in effect; and
2. if the car is <36k @ time the aftermarket warranty is purchased
with #1 consistent in having the most significant impact (for obvious reasons).

Curiously, the Fidelity quote I got didn't have any clear jump for #2, but the other two quotes did. Go figure.
Old 05-11-2010, 07:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by derrick_lui
My experience with these aftermarket warranties is that they are not worth it.

I previously had GE warranty (warranty solutions) on my Jeep and they approved small items without issue. But until I had engine problems, the engine needed to be torn apart for diagnostics which would cost me about 1k...if it was covered, I wouldn't have to pay...but if it wasn't I would need to pay for the 1k just to know what was wrong...sorta like a gamble.
Yep, this is similar to some of the horror stories I've seen, some having to do with certain coverage levels (eg: inclusive/named component [covers this, that, the other, BUT nothing else] or exclusive [covers everything EXCEPT the following], wear and tear, etc], particular companies, deductibles or not, whether the deductible is per visit or per repair, etc. Your experiences were far from rare

This is what caused me to slow down (but not abandon) my efforts on this.

The flip side of the coin: there are plenty of other folks (including many in this forum, just go search for "allroad airbag extended warranty" or "turbo extended warranty" <g>) who have had great experiences with extended warranties on their Audis, where it really saved their bacon, coming out financially waaaay ahead on expensive repairs.

Having previously paid out-of-pocket for replacement of two allroad airbags, planning to keep my S6 for at least 3 years past factory warranty, and having had the dealer keep my car multiple days a couple times for simple (but time consuming) in-warranty repairs, I still plan on getting an extended warranty before my factory warranty expires. Unplanned dealership repair trips rarely turn out to be cheap ones these days.

But only after if/when I find one that the repair shops (dealer and independent) that I'll use have recommend and have good working relationships with...
Old 05-12-2010, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

My extended warranties have been good so far for my '96 Camaro back in the day and for the E55 that had 90K on the clock. It is a matter of finding a reputable and solvent company that works with the dealer/shop you take your vehicle to.

I just might bite the bullet and buy the one Audi dealer sells to be on the safe side... I know it will be expensive though. Now that I think of it I will call right now and find out.
Old 05-12-2010, 12:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Ok, Fidelity coverage on my 2007 S6 with 42K for extra 4 years and 60K miles is $5,497.00! That is 10% of what I purchased my car for... and I'm not paying it. Fidelity states that they do not sell direct to customers, only through dealers, so you know that the dealer is marking this thing up by at least 30% or more.
Old 05-12-2010, 02:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

2nd Audi Dealer offered my the same warranty for $5,927.00! Man they try to rape you on these things...
Old 05-12-2010, 07:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

That's why my dealer is offering a second option now - they were finding fewer takers for the Audi-badged Fidelity warranty.

Their pricing on the second option was about $2k less than the Fidelity one.

Bruce_M here offers much better pricing on Fidelity warranties...

Quick Reply: 2007 S6 - Extended Warranty