A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

2007 S6 Tranny Issue?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 12:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's what they told me... but you know how the service department is. Perhaps they just wanted to make it dramatic since all the work was convered by warranty.

Originally Posted by mystrodo
I realize now this was an older thread but I had to find some prices for the A6 transmission fluids..although not cheap $18.95 nowhere near $90 a quart they stuck DirtyVegasTT with:
http://www.blauparts.com/proddetail.asp?prod=J1D2103
Old 11-02-2009, 03:25 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what about the 6 speed automatics that are not a dsg? any fluid recomendations?
Old 09-18-2010, 06:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DirtyVegasTT
Update:

The tranny issue was getting bad. It seemed like at very slow speed, the tranny would disengage from the 1st gear, go to neutral, and then when you would give it gas, it would SLAM into first. Very loud and jerky. The dealer updated my TCU software, but it did not resolve anything. Plus, it happened on the freeway at the stop and go traffic and all my gear lights lit up. I took it to the dealer again thinking that this time they would have to replace physical parts, but they didn't. I was told that my tranny was readopted twice and that they flushed it and used some sort of blue fluid. I was pissed, I was sure that something was broken in the tranny and I thought I was getting a runaround. Well, to my surprise it worked... it has been two full days and the car is running great so far. It shifts so much smoother and there are no issues that I experienced before at least 5 times a day.

They told me that the new blue fluid is $90 / quart and that my car took 16. Not sure if its true, but all I know is that my problems seem to be resolved. I highly recommend to people here having issues with their tranny to try this solution. It worked for me.
Same problem here, they reflashed the TCU with updated s/w and the problem actually has gotten worse, slower shifts, more lag and what seems to be slippage between the lower gears in stop/go driving. The only difference is that there's no loud CLUNK now... it just shifts slower. So, the updated TCU basically slowed down the clutches, which removes the loud CLUNK, but didn't eliminate the delays and "neutral" feeling between gears... It also now does it in Tiptronic mode!!!! It's almost worse, just less noise...

I have to go back....
Old 09-19-2010, 02:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

I drive the car only in sport mode, so this is where I notice this issue. When I am barely rolling in first (1-2 mph in auto sport mode), or am at a stop, and give it some gas, every once in a while the car does not move immediately (.25-.5 second lag), but then it slams into a gear (1st) and almost hops. The best way I can describe it is - it is almost like a nutral drop, but with a bang and much ruffer. This happens a few times a week. Anyone experienced anything similar? Would really like to know so that I know what to tell my Audi advisor. Thanks.
check if you need to do an adaptation or something. Use a Vag like ross tech..or do a factory reset to the car I think is remove the battery cable for a 1/2 hour and put it back put the car in on but not start the car.
Old 09-19-2010, 08:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jeffry
check if you need to do an adaptation or something. Use a Vag like ross tech..or do a factory reset to the car I think is remove the battery cable for a 1/2 hour and put it back put the car in on but not start the car.
Thanks for the tip, but my luck and I'll screw something up and get blamed - halting their investigation into this most troubling issue...lol. I'm going to let the dealer figure it out.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Tranny clunk

So funny you posted this. I believe this is the same as what I encountered 4 years ago when I 1st purchased my A6. Pretty much when Im in S mode and If Im driving slow and slowly come to a stop the gear drops hard into 1st gear kind of clunky, feels cheap and Feels like something is wrong. Anyhow at the time, I had 2 different dealers take a look at it and they didnt understand what I was talking about. So I Audi actually had a field rep come out to my house and test drive it. He said that that is pretty much normal for this transmission. In other words, from my own experience and if you want my advice the S mode should only be used if you are going to be driving fast and coming to sudden stops. Now...the auto DSG tranny is a whole other machine, unfortunately they have not come out with it yet for the A6 I dont think.
Old 09-21-2010, 02:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

You didn't really buy that explanation did you? I drive all Audi (A4, Q7, A6, S6, A8) in Sport all the time. The bottom line is that the S should work as well as the D mode does. It's just like that, plain and simple. Took me 3 trips to a 'good' dealer to get this resolved, so I can see how working with others dealers can be difficult through this issue.

Originally Posted by AlteredEgo79
So funny you posted this. I believe this is the same as what I encountered 4 years ago when I 1st purchased my A6. Pretty much when Im in S mode and If Im driving slow and slowly come to a stop the gear drops hard into 1st gear kind of clunky, feels cheap and Feels like something is wrong. Anyhow at the time, I had 2 different dealers take a look at it and they didnt understand what I was talking about. So I Audi actually had a field rep come out to my house and test drive it. He said that that is pretty much normal for this transmission. In other words, from my own experience and if you want my advice the S mode should only be used if you are going to be driving fast and coming to sudden stops. Now...the auto DSG tranny is a whole other machine, unfortunately they have not come out with it yet for the A6 I dont think.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

You didn't really buy that explanation did you? I drive all Audi (A4, Q7, A6, S6, A8) in Sport all the time. The bottom line is that the S should work as well as the D mode does. It's just like that, plain and simple. Took me 3 trips to a 'good' dealer to get this resolved, so I can see how working with others dealers can be difficult through this issue.
I don't buy it either.. I prefer the S mode as well and the condition I describe is dangerous. The TCM update changed very little...the only change it made was to address the clunk sound symptom by slowing down the clutches and torque converter WHEN they actually engage. The surge as delay is still there. I asked the master tech at my dealer to call Audi again re the fluid changer, however, he said that the tech line states the tan fluid I have is not to be changed???

DirtyVegasTT: What color was your fluid before the change to blue?????
Old 09-22-2010, 02:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I would think whatever was there since the car was new... they said blue was a new fluid that wasn't in my tranny before. I really feel for you man, I know how frusturating it can be. All I can say is just hammer away at them and don't give up. Try to record the issue on some sort of digital camera and call AoA.

AGAIN, the S mode should drive just as well as the D mode does. That said, I still, on few occasions a month, experience mild resemblance of symptoms that I had before, but it is very tolerable now as opposed to before.

Originally Posted by Leeladisky
I don't buy it either.. I prefer the S mode as well and the condition I describe is dangerous. The TCM update changed very little...the only change it made was to address the clunk sound symptom by slowing down the clutches and torque converter WHEN they actually engage. The surge as delay is still there. I asked the master tech at my dealer to call Audi again re the fluid changer, however, he said that the tech line states the tan fluid I have is not to be changed???

DirtyVegasTT: What color was your fluid before the change to blue?????
Old 09-22-2010, 06:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

I would think whatever was there since the car was new... they said blue was a new fluid that wasn't in my tranny before. I really feel for you man, I know how frusturating it can be. All I can say is just hammer away at them and don't give up. Try to record the issue on some sort of digital camera and call AoA.

AGAIN, the S mode should drive just as well as the D mode does. That said, I still, on few occasions a month, experience mild resemblance of symptoms that I had before, but it is very tolerable now as opposed to before.
Did Exactly that on a video camera, thankfully.