A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

2008 4.2 A6 potential blown head gasket, need urgent help

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 08:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 4.2 A6 potential blown head gasket, need urgent help

Good day all,

I own a 2008 Audi A6 with the 4.2 V8 that has 152k miles on it and I've been experiencing some odd problems. Around 1.5 months ago I noticed that both my coolant and oil levels began depleting, and I noticed a small hole in the bottom of the oil pan that was causing a leak. The liquid coming out seemed to be oil mixed with a little bit of coolant, but I'm not exactly sure. It only smelled like oil though. I patched this leak tonight but am still worried about how both my oil and coolant began depleting at the same time and am wondering if this has the potential to be a bad head gasket. I have noticed no froth on the oil cap, no water on the dipstick which I believe means no water is entering the crankcase, and no white smoke emitting from my exhaust, but the car does idle a tiny bit rough once warmed up, barely noticeable though. The car runs great otherwise though and I've never noticed any hesitation or lack of power when accelerating. Any idea what this issue may be? I have not noticed any other separate leaks.

Every response is greatly appreciated, have an awesome day y'all.
Old 01-08-2019, 02:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Do a compression test on the cylinders and pressure check the cooling system. I’d also do an oil change and inspect your oil. A blown head gasket can be different depend on where the gasket gives way, but if you are losing coolant and oil and can’t find any external leaks then it’s a good chance you have a blown head gasket. Another thing you can do is pull your spark plugs and inspect them. If one is really oil/ carbon fowled up then you have oil leaking into that cylinder. If you have a plug that looks brand new almost like it was steamed clean , then coolant was leaking into the cylinder.

Typically a head gasket won’t blow unless the car was overheated really bad, or if is had a really bad designed head gasket (cough 90s Volvos cough).

Old 01-08-2019, 03:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

A leaking engine oil cooler can act like a blown head gasket.

How did you get a hole in the bottom of the oil pan?
Old 01-08-2019, 05:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by A6 4.2 Vier
A leaking engine oil cooler can act like a blown head gasket.

How did you get a hole in the bottom of the oil pan?
I'm not sure how but it's definitely there. Small but present.
Old 01-08-2019, 05:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Klaus Von Richter
Do a compression test on the cylinders and pressure check the cooling system. I’d also do an oil change and inspect your oil. A blown head gasket can be different depend on where the gasket gives way, but if you are losing coolant and oil and can’t find any external leaks then it’s a good chance you have a blown head gasket. Another thing you can do is pull your spark plugs and inspect them. If one is really oil/ carbon fowled up then you have oil leaking into that cylinder. If you have a plug that looks brand new almost like it was steamed clean , then coolant was leaking into the cylinder.

Typically a head gasket won’t blow unless the car was overheated really bad, or if is had a really bad designed head gasket (cough 90s Volvos cough).

Okay sure! Is it still as much of an issue if I'm not finding coolant in the oil pan or crankshaft?
I was planning on doing the plugs soon so I'll for sure do that now and I'll run a compression test as soon as the materials become available to me.

Could it be possible that the coolant is leaking onto a hot part of the engine and evaporating into steam? I have seen steam while driving the car before but only in the first 5-10 minutes of the engine running.
Old 01-08-2019, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SpotlightR
Okay sure! Is it still as much of an issue if I'm not finding coolant in the oil pan or crankshaft?
I was planning on doing the plugs soon so I'll for sure do that now and I'll run a compression test as soon as the materials become available to me.

Could it be possible that the coolant is leaking onto a hot part of the engine and evaporating into steam? I have seen steam while driving the car before but only in the first 5-10 minutes of the engine running.
If no coolant is in the oil and vice versa then it’s probably not as ugrgent. How fast is your coolant and oil loss?

evaporated coolant will leave a white residue, if it is leaking on the motor and burning off.
Old 01-09-2019, 08:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

If no coolant is in the oil and vice versa then it’s probably not as ugrgent. How fast is your coolant and oil loss?

evaporated coolant will leave a white residue, if it is leaking on the motor and burning off.
The coolant appears to be depleting faster, I just have no clue where it's going.
They may be two separate issues since the leak from the oil pan is just oil.
Old 01-09-2019, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Pressure check the cooling system and see if it can hold pressure, if not then look for coolant leaking out. If your losing coolant and you can’t see where it’s coming from it’s probably internal. A cyclinder compression test can tell you what cylinder the coolant is leaking into. It would be odd to have a blown head gasket without a engine overheat to cause it, not unheard of though. It’s a shame you are in Dallas, I have all the stuff to check your cyclinder compression and cooling system.

I don’t know how mechanical you are but a head job wouldn’t be that hard to do, if you have mechanical experience. It would be a weekend project if your head isn’t warped.
Old 01-09-2019, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

In your first post you stated the oil had coolant mixed in? Did the oil look like a chocolate milkshake?
Old 01-10-2019, 06:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

In your first post you stated the oil had coolant mixed in? Did the oil look like a chocolate milkshake?
I was wrong. At first, I assumed that the leak was coolant as well since I was losing coolant but upon inspection, it is only oil.