A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

2008 A6 Grill Upgrade (to 2009)...PICS!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 12:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinGary
You must be going out with the wrong type of girls

LOL, yeah, I've wasted more time and money on cover-model, princess-types than I care to admit...those were my "shallow, narcissistic" years where I believed "outer beauty" was more important. Once I started buying German automobiles, I realized that what's inside is more important than the exterior look...but sometimes you can have both (AUDI).

Once I applied that to women, I married the perfect girl!!
Old 06-23-2009, 01:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the great tutorial!

But for "the next guy"..
I didn't need to "remove the SIX screws holding the undercarriage cover"..
The undercarriage cover can stay in place, as long as you remove the two last nuts through the wheel well..
This way you don't even need to lift the car up on ramps or jack stands..

Thanks again!
(PS! I need a DIY like this for changing/replacing the mirror houses.. anyone? )
Old 06-24-2009, 03:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

will the 09 grill fit my 05?
Old 06-25-2009, 01:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by weAUDI105
will the 09 grill fit my 05?
It looks that way..
The S6 grill I bought for my 2006 is the same for the 2005->2008 and also the 2009 models..

The bumper is the same for 2005 and 2008 (Lungfixer's bumper), but you might have to do the same modifications as Lungfixer did on his 2008.. including painting the "aluminum bumper"..

Originally Posted by Lungfixer
You may notice that the solid aluminum bumper that protects the radiator and engine bay is missing in the above photo. I could see that once the filler was removed the aluminum bumper sticks out like a sore thumb (see circled portion of photo below)...definitely would have shown through the '09 grill since it has no filler strip

...so I removed it and painted it gloss black.

I was told by my Audi dealership's parts dept that the '09 grill would "fit" on the '08 model...however, they did NOT tell me I would first have to make some modifications to both my bumper cover AND the new grill in order to get it to fit. First, the plastic cross-section (circled in photo below) protrudes out too far for the inside of the '09 grill. I had to take my heat gun, soften the plastic and push it in.

Next, the new '09 grill comes with tabs (indicated by red arrows) that specifically fit the '09 A6 bumper cover. I had to cut all of them off to allow the new grill to fit my car.

Old 06-25-2009, 04:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Very thorough write-up. Much appreciated. I love it when the community knowledge base gets expanded with projects like this. Thanks for taking the time to photograph and explain.
Old 06-26-2009, 06:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Anyone happen to know if..

Anyone happen to know if you can order that grill without the chrome trim? I am not fond of chrome... tnx!
Old 06-26-2009, 07:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Father_Flanagan
Anyone happen to know if you can order that grill without the chrome trim? I am not fond of chrome... tnx!
Can't find a "black optic" grill in Etka..

But you CAN easily take the chrome off, sand it down and paint it in eny colour you like.. :-)
Old 06-29-2009, 12:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Frode.N
Thanks for the great tutorial!

<SNIP
I didn't need to "remove the SIX screws holding the undercarriage cover"..
The undercarriage cover can stay in place, as long as you remove the two last nuts through the wheel well..
<SNIP>
So how did you pull the bumper away from the car without removing the undercarriage screws? And what exactly supported the bumper while you removed the grill? Please explain in detail...I'm very curious.
Old 06-29-2009, 04:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

So how did you pull the bumper away from the car without removing the undercarriage screws? And what exactly supported the bumper while you removed the grill? Please explain in detail...I'm very curious.
I did it the way you described..
I put two cardbord boxes (banana-boxes, we call'em in Norway ) under the bumper, as it came of the car.

I did unscrew the 3 large screws, that held the bumper to the undercarriage. (The ones on the left on your picture)

But I left the undercarriage cover on the car.. I did not unscrew the six screws.
I did the same on my old A3 some years ago, and didn't take of any undercarriage cover then.. I looked under the A6, and saw I could get away with it this time as well.

The bumper came out without the last six.
I can have some pictures for you later, if you'd like.
But your DIY was so good, I didn't feel the need to take any during my "operation".

Now go underneath the car and, using the standard head screwdriver, remove the three flathead screws that attach the front bumper cover to the black undercarriage cover. Then remove the SIX screws holding the undercarriage cover in place (front three shown in photo, there is one located in the center of the cover and two more at the rear corners.)

Pull undercarriage cover out and set it aside.

Old 06-29-2009, 07:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Great post Thanks!

I didn't realize how much work was involved. Saved me from finding out the hard way.

Quick Reply: 2008 A6 Grill Upgrade (to 2009)...PICS!!