A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

2008 A6 quattro jerky downshift issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 09:17 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 A6 quattro jerky downshift issue

Hey everyone, im new to this forum and I recently purchased a 2008 a6 3.2 quattro and have absolutely loved it. However in the last couple of weeks I have noticed that when I brake, I can feel the car downshift and the car jerks a little bit. Even under moderate braking it can be felt. Mainly from 5th-4th and 4th-3rd gears. This is while in D mode. Other than that the car shifts perfectly fine, if only a little jerky from 1-2.

Has anyone had this problem with the c6 and the jerky downshift when braking? Im hoping it is a simple fix like a tcu reflash or a software update, and not a bigger issue since the car has extensive service records from the dealership and all routine maintenance. Thanks for any input!
Old 01-23-2015, 01:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by thisiskevin23
Hey everyone, im new to this forum and I recently purchased a 2008 a6 3.2 quattro and have absolutely loved it. However in the last couple of weeks I have noticed that when I brake, I can feel the car downshift and the car jerks a little bit. Even under moderate braking it can be felt. Mainly from 5th-4th and 4th-3rd gears. This is while in D mode. Other than that the car shifts perfectly fine, if only a little jerky from 1-2.

Has anyone had this problem with the c6 and the jerky downshift when braking? Im hoping it is a simple fix like a tcu reflash or a software update, and not a bigger issue since the car has extensive service records from the dealership and all routine maintenance. Thanks for any input!
How many miles has your car done and has the ATF ever been changed ? - ZF 6HP19A tiptronic gearbox (A6 3.0 TDI Quattro))

Last edited by royclark; 01-23-2015 at 02:00 AM.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:13 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi royclark, the car has just hit 99k miles and has never had a tranny fluid change. I have read somewhere on these forums that changing the fluid for the first time with high mileage may actually damage the transmission?

Also, if it makes any difference, the jerky downshifting seems to occur only when the the car is warmed up, it is less noticeable when the engine is cold
Old 01-23-2015, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Hi royclark, the car has just hit 99k miles and has never had a tranny fluid change. I have read somewhere on these forums that changing the fluid for the first time with high mileage may actually damage the transmission
It sounds as though yours is already damaged through lack of maintainance.
Ignoring it won't make it go away.

If you read the link to other forum every one stated that they noticed a marked improvement in smoothness.
Old 01-23-2015, 05:59 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

So royclark, you think that changing the tranny fluid will make my car downshifts smooth? Do you recommend using the oem zf fluid?
Old 01-23-2015, 10:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

So royclark, you think that changing the tranny fluid will make my car downshifts smooth? Do you recommend using the oem zf fluid?
It won't do it any harm. Not sure what ATF for your trans.
Take it to dealer, it won't break the bank. Cost you a lot more for a new trany.
Old 01-24-2015, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Read the last post here - gearbox oil change query | Audi-Sport.net
Old 01-24-2015, 11:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would check with local Audi dealer to have transmission fluid change and update transmission control module software. You can use either ATF G 055 162 A2 or G 060 162 A2 then update TCM software. I would also ask them to remove the pan and replace filter too. I might cost you up to $1000.
Old 01-24-2015, 01:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had an occasional hard downshift starting at 85k, the tranny fluid drain and refill made a big difference. At 120k I can feel the hard downshift starting to return. Will rain and refill in the summer when it's warm.

Make sure your software is updated and that you use the correct fluid.

Try doing an adaptive throttle reset, that helps many minor driveability issues.
Old 01-25-2015, 04:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey did u get the transmission fluid changed? When done let me know how it goes if it fixed it.

Quick Reply: 2008 A6 quattro jerky downshift issue