A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

2008 A6 Voice Command

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 10:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2008 A6 Voice Command

Greetings. I bought a certified 2008 A6 3.2 Quattro last weekend, mainly as a winter DD for my summer DD. In discussion with sales it was mentioned that the car had voice command but now it turns out that its inactive. I can't find anything that lists that as a separate option and am wondering if there's a way to activate it via a dealer program change?

Good forum BTW, the FAQs are good.
Old 08-27-2010, 11:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You gotta speak with a German accent for it to work [joke]. I mainly use it to change radio stations in FM and CD discs. Making phone calls has been a challenge so far.

The functionality is described very well in the MMI owners' manual.
Old 08-27-2010, 11:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by zzz4
You gotta speak with a German accent for it to work [joke]. I mainly use it to change radio stations in FM and CD discs. Making phone calls has been a challenge so far.

The functionality is described very well in the MMI owners' manual.
Thanks. Not a question about how it works, because it won't All I get is "button inactive" and I'm looking for whatever makes it tick, so to speak.

I called it a pig in German but it didn't help...
Old 08-28-2010, 05:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like you were dealing with another sales person who thinks just because there is a button it must have voice control.

Do you have bluetooth? There is a way to activate the button via VAG tool, but you do not get full functionality.

I don't think you are missing out on much though. I hate the voice control that Audi has, voice tags are so old. I like the voice control that our MDX has. press the button and speak.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by spence341
Sounds like you were dealing with another sales person who thinks just because there is a button it must have voice control.

Do you have bluetooth? There is a way to activate the button via VAG tool, but you do not get full functionality.

I don't think you are missing out on much though. I hate the voice control that Audi has, voice tags are so old. I like the voice control that our MDX has. press the button and speak.
Yes, I do have bluetooth active with my cellphone. Looking for voice command primarily because its so blasted hard to do much of anything in the car without taking your eyes off the road repeatedly, even changing bands is a chore.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a 2005, and same thing is with mine.
I had a dealer program (activate) the feature, but quit honestly it wasnt working well. At the same time, there was a lot of interferance while using a bluetooth.
I took it back to the dealer, but I turns out that on my car those two features can't be active at the same time. Apparently there is a piece (electronic noise trap of sort) that had to be installed in my car in order for both to work.
Apparently cars that had voice command active had that piece installed in the factory (part of a stereo).
Now, I don't know if this is true or if I was fed a lot of BS, but they had car back and forth 3-4 times before they actually gave me the anwer. They offered to install the piece, but it wasnt covered under warranty (and the feature sucked) so I never bothered, and BT was more important to me anyways.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by olikoli
I have a 2005, and same thing is with mine.
Apparently cars that had voice command active had that piece installed in the factory (part of a stereo).
Now, I don't know if this is true or if I was fed a lot of BS, but they had car back and forth 3-4 times before they actually gave me the anwer. They offered to install the piece, but it wasnt covered under warranty (and the feature sucked) so I never bothered, and BT was more important to me anyways.
It is true. Voice command module is an option. It can be installed anytime in radio unit at the left rear of the trunk. It should be covered under warranty if you paid for that option when buying the car and now it fails. Voice command when you are in telephone mode is a different thing.
Old 08-31-2010, 02:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by oaktreelimb
Voice command when you are in telephone mode is a different thing.
How so please? Is it dependent on the capabilities of the cellphone with bluetooth?
Old 08-31-2010, 03:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car did not come with the Voice Command option. However, when the MMI upgrade was done at the dealer, they were able to activate this feature. however, it only works for the phone menu. You will need vag-com to activate feature if the car didn't come with this option from factory.
Old 08-31-2010, 04:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

How would one activate that using VagCom?

Quick Reply: 2008 A6 Voice Command