A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

2009 A6 3.0t timing chain issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2016, 06:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 A6 3.0t timing chain issues

Hi everyone,
I've had my 2009 A6 3.0t (115,000 miles) for about 5 months now and really enjoy the car. I bought it with the understanding that the 3.0t's showed much less issue with their timing chains and tensioners, but unfortunately mine has begun to rattle more and more on start up. Used to just be for 1 to 2 seconds, but now will occasionally last 20 seconds or more. I'll get it properly diagnosed before I move forward with anything, but I'm fairly confident it's the tensioners. I'd like to keep the car, but also am reeling at the thought of paying several thousand dollars to get the tensioners replaced on a 7 year old car. So, I'm thinking of performing the work myself and have a few questions:

1. I know the upper tensioners on the 3.2 can be replaced without removing the engine. I assume the same is true for the 3.0t. How often is it just the upper tensioners going bad vs. all of them?
2. Does anyone have a tutorial for removing the engine? I've found a couple rough outlines for removing the 3.2, but the 3.0t is likely different in some respects. I assumed easiest would be to remove front end of car and remove engine/tranny together.
3. If anyone would be so kind as to upload/send Elsawin instructions for removing engine and replacing tensioners, I'd be happy to document the process and write up a tutorial should I go forward with the repair.

Thanks for your help!
Old 12-12-2016, 04:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Answers...

Before I try to answer your questions, my first bit of advice would be to check the oil level. In my old 3.2, when the oil level started getting low, the chains would rattle more and more. Also, when is the last time you changed your Oil Filter? After about 5k miles on the 3.2, the chains would rattle quit a bit more. Changing the filter every 4500 miles solved this problem. I would also recommend a good quality oil, such as LiquiMoly Leuchtlauf High Tech...it's the only on I use.

With that being said, your questions...

#1. The 3.0T is pretty much the same engine as the 3.2; it has just been beefed-up to deal with the extra strain of the superchargers compression. With that being said, if you are hearing rattling, it is my belief that it is definitely one or both of your upper tensioners that have failed, or perhaps the chain guide. Just as with the 3.2, the upper chain tensioners CAN be replaced with the engine still in the vehicle. You can find the tutorial for the 3.2FSI here: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...ement-2861500/
Of course, the part numbers will be different for your engine; when I am finished typing this, I will look up the parts in ETKA and put them below. You will just need to adapt the above procedure slightly to accommodate your engine. Something for you to read over in the minutes it will take me to look in ELSA.

#2. As far as removing the engine, I will look-up the procedure when I get the part number, but.... I am pretty sure Audi states to remove the ENTIRE drivetrain as one; engine, transmission, drivetrain, etc. Let's hope it doesn't come to that.

#3. Well, I already said I would find them for you!
The following users liked this post:
cgilley1 (05-10-2021)
Old 12-12-2016, 05:21 PM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

In the event that you decide to do the lower chains and/or guides, leave the engine in the car and pull the trans. Way easier.