A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

2010 A6 Residual and MF - Killed the car

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 01:12 PM
caf
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ayap
Audi's getting arrogant ... and it will backfire soon enough.

I went to ask for the lease on the Audi Q5 and it was like $535/month with I think a $3000 downpayment. And I said, well .. what about the Q5 with an S-Line package ? The salesman came back after talking to the manager and said .. with the S-line it is $850/ month ?

WTF ? $850/month from $535/month ... a $315 difference just because of the S-Line package ????????? No thanks.

And then I said ... the other dealer was offering $480/month, so why $535/month ... and then the salesman went and talked to the manager and came back and said ... yeah, we can try and go lower.

A few months after (during summer), Audis were not selling well and the dealer has taken off about $3000 - $5000 off the MSRP for most of the Audis in their lot inventory. Not good.
Never, ever negotiate a lease deal based on a monthly payment. The dealer will absolutely take you to the cleaners. If the dealer can pad the lease even $50/month, he's pocketing an extra $600/year ($1800 on a 3 year lease) for ever car he moves. Always negotiate the capitalized cost and the money factor, then TELL the dealer what the monthly payment should be. And be sure to calculate it yourself--I've found dealers often hand me an inflated fee, then when called on it, they mumble something about some BS fee of some sort that they had to add in.

I suspect that the original poster's dealer is marking up the money factor; most of them do. I've also found if they really want to make the sale they'll often drop back to Audi's buy rate, which is the unmarked up rate. Check around and you should be able to find out what the rate really is.
Old 08-21-2009, 08:13 PM
RDD
AudiWorld Senior Member

Why not go for a leftover '09? I heard the MF was 0.00003 or something. There are still plenty of them on the lots. What are the improvements for the '10 model?
Old 08-22-2009, 10:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by S42000
Does any car built in the last 3 years have good resale currently in this economy? Quite a few companies have raised lease rates, or dropped leasing programs entirely because trying to predict resale values is impossible.
I don't think many would argue with you on that. I certainly wouldn't.

The issue here, and original poser makes this point, is that more loyal Audi customers could end up in BMWs or something else if they are looking to lease. If Audi wants to tap more of BMW's US customer base then they need to offer attractive leases.

Apparently, they are offering the same residual of 49% on the 2009 and 2010 A6 models at the same time and that doesn't make sense to me.
Old 08-22-2009, 03:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

What do you guys think of this deal?

http://www.audiusa.com/us/brand/en/r...l_offer_5.html

That's exactly the deal I made because I didn't want to go through negotiations and stuff.

It's all over now, so if I got ripped off don't hold back.
Old 08-22-2009, 04:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

its all the cars right now. i was at manheim last month and picked up a 07 m6 with 17000k miles, still under factory warrant for 41k. thats serious depreciation. its not just audis.
Old 08-24-2009, 07:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by cynerjist
I don't think many would argue with you on that. I certainly wouldn't.

The issue here, and original poser makes this point, is that more loyal Audi customers could end up in BMWs or something else if they are looking to lease. If Audi wants to tap more of BMW's US customer base then they need to offer attractive leases.

Apparently, they are offering the same residual of 49% on the 2009 and 2010 A6 models at the same time and that doesn't make sense to me.
There are a few problems with this. #1 we don't know Audi's or BMW's actual cost. The big issue here is say you are selling a yellow ball for $5, it cost you $4. If you see a guy down the road selling a red ball for $3.50, does that mean you are priced too high?

It's two different cars, and you can't reasonably expect Audi to sell their car below their acceptable margins. BMW to me is taking a big gamble keeping their lease rates where they are. Look at the current values of a lot of 2006-2007 BMW's, I'm sure their current private party price is much less than their agreed to residuals.

As a buyer it's great that BMW is taking those gambles, Audi just is choosing not too. When it comes down to it, the MF and residual are not, well are not very negotiable. If the Audi is too expensive, move on. You can't negotiate it. If the BMW is more affordable, and the Audi isn't worth the extra cost, get the BMW. If Audi's weren't being leased at their current rates, Audi USA would change them.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Appreciate all of the dialogue - The topic has spun in may different ways, I guess the way I look at it is Audi is setting the depreciation rate of the cars with the residual. If they set a 49% residual in 3 years on this car, then it is going to be pretty close to that, if they set it at 54% well it would probably fall pretty close to that as well.

It amazes me that I am buying a 64k 535 and the payment is $100 less than the 57,5 A6 - help me understand the economics in that. Affordability is not the issue for me, at the end of the day the deal needs to make sense...and certainly this one doesn't (paying 49% and MF of .00141).

As for an 09, I need the sports package to kill the terrible wheel gap, there are NO Prestige with Sports available nor have there been for the last 3 months - trust me I have contacted 30 dealerships.
Old 08-24-2009, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can always throw in sport springs to get rid of the gap.
Old 08-24-2009, 10:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by pdxaudi3.2
Appreciate all of the dialogue - The topic has spun in may different ways, I guess the way I look at it is Audi is setting the depreciation rate of the cars with the residual. If they set a 49% residual in 3 years on this car, then it is going to be pretty close to that, if they set it at 54% well it would probably fall pretty close to that as well.

It amazes me that I am buying a 64k 535 and the payment is $100 less than the 57,5 A6 - help me understand the economics in that. Affordability is not the issue for me, at the end of the day the deal needs to make sense...and certainly this one doesn't (paying 49% and MF of .00141).

As for an 09, I need the sports package to kill the terrible wheel gap, there are NO Prestige with Sports available nor have there been for the last 3 months - trust me I have contacted 30 dealerships.
Now here's the question, from the sounds of your hunting, you are currently leasing your 06 A6, correct? If so, whats the residual, both $ and % of that car? Then, what is the current going rate for the car?
Old 08-24-2009, 12:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by S42000
Does any car built in the last 3 years have good resale currently in this economy? Quite a few companies have raised lease rates, or dropped leasing programs entirely because trying to predict resale values is impossible.
Exactly, I think he needs to reconsider especially since the 2010 will be the most refined C6 of the series, the top of the mark...IMO, switching to another car regardless of which one is a step in the wrong direction.

Quick Reply: 2010 A6 Residual and MF - Killed the car