A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

2010 BMW 535i xdrive Wagon vs Audi A6 Avant

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 06:40 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 BMW 535i xdrive Wagon vs Audi A6 Avant

Hello,

I am deciding between a 2010 BMW 535i xdrive wagon and a 2010 Audi A6 Avant. The motivation behind this purchase is for a larger car because my wife and I are expecting our first child, and hence need the additional space. Couple of questions:

1. We are hoping to install the car seat in the center (been told that's the safest position) - is one car more suited to a center positioned car seat than the other?

2. Is one car safer in a collision than the other? Tried to find info from the safety rating agencies but didn't get much information there

3. Which one handles wet weather better? - i live in the seattle areas and we get quite a bit of rain and the occasional snow. Are both AWD system comparable?

4. Is one more reliable than the other?

5. Which car handles better? (i.e. more fun to drive)...when the baby's not in the car

Any information is much appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by longinc
Hello,

I am deciding between a 2010 BMW 535i xdrive wagon and a 2010 Audi A6 Avant. The motivation behind this purchase is for a larger car because my wife and I are expecting our first child, and hence need the additional space. Couple of questions:

1. We are hoping to install the car seat in the center (been told that's the safest position) - is one car more suited to a center positioned car seat than the other?

I've had both, and right now, I would say the 535Xi Wagon.

2. Is one car safer in a collision than the other? Tried to find info from the safety rating agencies but didn't get much information there

I've had two A6 Avants totaled, one when a Camry jumped the center divide and went into my car head on. They had to cut off the roof of the Camry to get the driver out. I walked out of the A6 Avant. The second time, when a Suburban broadsided the front of my A6 Avant. Again, I walked away from it. No data (and hopefully nothing ,more) with the 535XiT.

3. Which one handles wet weather better? - i live in the seattle areas and we get quite a bit of rain and the occasional snow. Are both AWD system comparable?

I would say about the same.

The A6 was very reliable for me, but I have just had the 535 XiT for the last month and a half, and so far so good. It's easier to work on the A^ with the VAGCOM, but that's just me as the BMW is new to me.

5. Which car handles better? (i.e. more fun to drive)...when the baby's not in the car

Sorry to say, but the 535XiT.

Thanks.
I hope this helps.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Both are very safe cars... I would feel safe with my family in either car, I will say that the A6 Avant really is solid as a tank driving around in it. Have never felt safer in anyother car. The car seat will fit just fine in the center spot and I believe the Audi has a bit more room which is important when you have a kid and all the gear that comes with one nowadays.

Drive them both and I bet you will pick the BMW due to the steering feel. Can't go wrong with either one really. Good luck...
Old 03-27-2013, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It's funny that you should ask this question. I cross shopped both models and was going to look at a 535XiT after visiting this A6 Avant. Needless to say, I left with the Audi.

I sort of wish I would have driven the Bimmer. I think you should do that. Drive both and see what you like.

I understand that the BMW is more of a driver's car in terms of steering feel and RWDness.

I certainly feel that Audi has a better reputation regarding AWD.

In either case, both should do quite fine for the job at hand. Check them both out and see which fits your family better. Good luck!
Old 03-27-2013, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same questions with my '08. BOTH are great wagons. Honestly, I love my Audi for the following reasons:
-Quattro - proven and great - I love it - I ski - it's great.
-About $2-5K less than the BMW.
-Winter package, not sure if the BMW has it. My son loves the heated rear seats.
-Had a '99 Avant and loved the car.

You can't go wrong with either, both are great cars.

Good luck.
Old 03-27-2013, 04:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I have also selected an A6 Avant (2006) and really like the car. Perhaps one of the best all around cars i have ever owned (sport seats, air suspension, paddle shifters, ACC etc.)
Like many other on this forum, I am very disappointed that Audi no longer imports either the A6 or the A4 Avant. 50+% of Audis in Europe are Avants, however, it seems that not enough are purchased in the US for Audi to import either of them. Bummer. Thus if you have your heart set on a wagon it is BMW 3 series, Volvo or MB. Argggh!
Old 03-28-2013, 08:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by perlfather
I am very disappointed that Audi no longer imports either the A6 or the A4 Avant. 50+% of Audis in Europe are Avants, however, it seems that not enough are purchased in the US for Audi to import either of them. Bummer. Thus if you have your heart set on a wagon it is BMW 3 series, Volvo or MB. Argggh!
+1

I honestly don't know what I will do when it comes time to replace my 06 Avant.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hello,

Thanks.
The A6 Avant looks better.
Old 03-28-2013, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Iv never liked BMWs X drive, its so......primitive. Big ugly transfer case, a front drive line, front diff/axle setup. its just awful to work on, and reminds me of an old pickup truck or somthing....Not the amazing, reliable, simple and effective Quattro/4motion that vw/audi has.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Hello,

Thanks.
Just opinion of my friends, but real BMW supposed to be rear wheel drive. X-drive is after-though and ruins BMW as such. If you want rear wheel drive -BMW is very good choice. If you want AWD - Audi is a good choice choice.
Otherwise I think both cars are very safe choice (given that you have proper tires and drive them carefully).

Quick Reply: 2010 BMW 535i xdrive Wagon vs Audi A6 Avant