A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

2010 BMW 535i xdrive Wagon vs Audi A6 Avant

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 08:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 175 Likes on 154 Posts

I also live in the Puget Sound area and have a '06 A6 Avant (my first quattro out of the five Audis I'm owned to date). With only All Season radials, I have driven up to and back Crystal Mtn for skiing on snowy/icy roads, and thru the wet roads/highways in the lower elevations w/o any difficulties. The quattro drive system uses Torsen differentials, which relies on torque sensing to shift power to the wheel with the best tracion. Unles BMW is using the same type of differentioal in their xDrive system doubtful), there is no comparison - the quattro drive system wins hands down.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:34 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by longinc
Hello,

I am deciding between a 2010 BMW 535i xdrive wagon and a 2010 Audi A6 Avant. The motivation behind this purchase is for a larger car because my wife and I are expecting our first child, and hence need the additional space. Couple of questions:

1. We are hoping to install the car seat in the center (been told that's the safest position) - is one car more suited to a center positioned car seat than the other?

2. Is one car safer in a collision than the other? Tried to find info from the safety rating agencies but didn't get much information there

3. Which one handles wet weather better? - i live in the seattle areas and we get quite a bit of rain and the occasional snow. Are both AWD system comparable?

4. Is one more reliable than the other?

5. Which car handles better? (i.e. more fun to drive)...when the baby's not in the car

Any information is much appreciated.

Thanks.
Maybe you've already made your decision but I'll add the BMW point of view.
I sold my '04 VW Passat 4Motion (Torsen) Wagon and went to the '10 BMW 535i Xdrive wagon.

It is a very solid car. Very smooth, incredible power when kids (2yo and 4yo) are not along for the ride, plus they like to "zoom in Daddy's car"! I think you could get the seat in the center, but I haven't tried. Much easier to fit when they are no longer rear-facing.

In terms of winter traction, really couldn't tell a difference from my VW other than perhaps more rear bias as the BMW system is not set up 50/50 as the VW Torsen was. Also more power - going from 190hp/206ft/lb to 300hp/300ft/lb so in theory easier to get yourself in trouble if you push beyond the limits.
Check out some youtube videos for Quattro and Xdrive comparisons...interesting.

Also recommend Michelin Xi3 - yet I took winters off a few weeks too early here in MN and still did well with recent 6-8 inch slushy/icy snow mixes we've had.

All in all, you can't go wrong. Both the Audi and BMW are hard to find but there are about twenty 2010 BMW wagons around the country. Still kicking myself that I didn't hold out for a manual.

Reliabilty is probaly a toss-up - most of the kinks have worked out of the BMW by 2010 - see high pressure fuel pump, injectors etc.

Note the BMW did poorly for some reason in the Driver side crash test.

Anyway, I know this is an Audi forum so I'll stop going on.

Best of luck in your search.
Old 05-05-2013, 03:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

I found one YouTube video in Russian.seems the only unbiased comparison:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMfUrS98Kbk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Originally Posted by blacksaph10
Maybe you've already made your decision but I'll add the BMW point of view.
I sold my '04 VW Passat 4Motion (Torsen) Wagon and went to the '10 BMW 535i Xdrive wagon.

It is a very solid car. Very smooth, incredible power when kids (2yo and 4yo) are not along for the ride, plus they like to "zoom in Daddy's car"! I think you could get the seat in the center, but I haven't tried. Much easier to fit when they are no longer rear-facing.

In terms of winter traction, really couldn't tell a difference from my VW other than perhaps more rear bias as the BMW system is not set up 50/50 as the VW Torsen was. Also more power - going from 190hp/206ft/lb to 300hp/300ft/lb so in theory easier to get yourself in trouble if you push beyond the limits.
Check out some youtube videos for Quattro and Xdrive comparisons...interesting.

Also recommend Michelin Xi3 - yet I took winters off a few weeks too early here in MN and still did well with recent 6-8 inch slushy/icy snow mixes we've had.

All in all, you can't go wrong. Both the Audi and BMW are hard to find but there are about twenty 2010 BMW wagons around the country. Still kicking myself that I didn't hold out for a manual.

Reliabilty is probaly a toss-up - most of the kinks have worked out of the BMW by 2010 - see high pressure fuel pump, injectors etc.

Note the BMW did poorly for some reason in the Driver side crash test.

Anyway, I know this is an Audi forum so I'll stop going on.

Best of luck in your search.