A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

275/35R19 A/S Fitment for 2008 S6

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 05:37 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tires are working well. I still standby the fact that the look isn't as aggressive since the tires are regular tires and not the aggressive summer sticky tires. When I peel out, the tires definitely slip more than summer tires.

Overall, less $$, supposedly lasts longer, more speeding cameras popping up, all good!
Old 12-20-2011, 06:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I also recently switched to 275/35/19 conti extreme contact DW (not S) and wouldnt recommend those tires or going with that size. Ever since I had them installed the car has felt unstable and the tires have been wearing unevenly (even after 2 alignments, everything set to audi spec). The tires wear in a heel-toe pattern (on the inside edge). I spoke to several technicians after this happened and they explained to me that nose heavy cars (like our S6s) do not respond well to tires with independent "*****" on the inside part of the tire. If you compare the stock sportcontact2 with the DW you will notice the SC2 do not have independent "*****", just one continuous tread on the inside edge of the tire. The DW have independent ***** (much like winter tires) which easily flex due to the weight and rapid accel/decel and cause uneven heel/toe wear (not the same as toe wear--google an image, its when the top part of a **** is more or less worn than the bottom part of that same ****, and creates a saw pattern.) This is felt as vibration when driving at high speeds, and you can feel it when running your hand in one way then then other way around the circumference of the inside edge of the tire. you will feel it smooth in one direction, and sharp in the other.
Old 12-21-2011, 03:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the tip! Sorry about your tires
Old 12-21-2011, 03:55 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by slicksic
I also recently switched to 275/35/19 conti extreme contact DW (not S) and wouldnt recommend those tires or going with that size. Ever since I had them installed the car has felt unstable and the tires have been wearing unevenly (even after 2 alignments, everything set to audi spec). The tires wear in a heel-toe pattern (on the inside edge). I spoke to several technicians after this happened and they explained to me that nose heavy cars (like our S6s) do not respond well to tires with independent "*****" on the inside part of the tire. If you compare the stock sportcontact2 with the DW you will notice the SC2 do not have independent "*****", just one continuous tread on the inside edge of the tire. The DW have independent ***** (much like winter tires) which easily flex due to the weight and rapid accel/decel and cause uneven heel/toe wear (not the same as toe wear--google an image, its when the top part of a **** is more or less worn than the bottom part of that same ****, and creates a saw pattern.) This is felt as vibration when driving at high speeds, and you can feel it when running your hand in one way then then other way around the circumference of the inside edge of the tire. you will feel it smooth in one direction, and sharp in the other.
I currently have 275/30/20 and have no problems. Although I am running a different tire: Pirelli PZero.
Old 12-21-2011, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I would think the following would have a bigger impact on tire wear vs tread block design

+ Alignment, specifically toe; too much and it’ll scrub, regardless of camber
+ Inflation pressures; too low and edges will always wear more quickly
+ Wear rating of the tire; all season of course wear more slowly

JMHO, YMMV, etc.
Old 12-23-2011, 04:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am 18 months into the Conti Extreme Contact DWS 275/35/19 and like everything about them. Performance is not as aggressive as summer tires but I don't drive my car to the extreme (fast, yes, but not extreme). The car accelerates energetically, corners tightly and stops quickly. I like these tires and will purchase them again when the time comes.