A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

3.2 / 4.2 FSI valve deposits in these engines?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 07:24 AM
Cat Herder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

even though the CEL might be off, the code will still be in the log. A vag-com scan will tell you.

I don't think asking your dealer to swap coilpacks between cylinders at your next LOF is that much to ask. If it is, consider another dealer for your next appt/purchase and make sure the Service Manager knows about it...

If you get surveyed by Audi, make sure to tell them as well.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The code was in the log and it was cylinder misfiring, they said to use Shell high octane, which I use anyways. I am going to suggust the coil pack swapping if the CEL comes back.
Old 04-16-2009, 01:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks for responses... good info

So to sum up, it sounds like it _could_ be a potential problem on the 3.2 FSI C6A6, but it's not yet a huge issue... possibly due to the intake flow patterns, etc etc. If it was a huge issue, otherwise I'm guessing folks here would be talking about it.

Good tip on that intake/injector/fuel cleaner additive. I might just do that on mine as preventative medicine too.

My A6 has approx 45K on it... has the rough idle for a few seconds from cold start which doesn't really concern me... but I can open my 200K+ saab 16v turbo engine and its clean as a whistle, I'd be very curious to pop off the valve cover of my 3.2 A6 and see what's going on in there. That said, I am terrified to do so, I have no idea how to work on this A6. ha.
Old 04-17-2009, 05:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I am not sure if the built up is the issue or not. I am starting to think its the injectors not holding pressure when the car is off. Rather the injector got damage due to the built up, I do not know. After a cold start and rough idle, I can pump the gas once and the idle would smooth out. It seems like I am burning off the gas that leak thru the injector while the car is sitting by doing that. It seems less and less likely its the coil packs or a vaccum leak.
Old 04-20-2009, 02:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Build up on new Audi engines during break in period

I had some misfiring and CEL on cold starts in the morning, I been following a few threads about build up in the new Audi. Bought it into the Audi dealer today, and they put a scope in there and confrim the build up. Audi is asking them to put in some B.S. injector cleaner and drive it for 60 miles. The SA said this procedure doesnt work but they have to do it to make Audi happy. After that, they will clean the valve area, behind the valves and I think the upper conbusion chamber with some solvent. The dealer said they have done 3 of these this month and all on brand new Audi. Audi is suppose to have a new ECU program that will retard the timing to provent this problem. According to my SA, this only happens in a small percentage of new Audi. I will update you guys in 2 or 3 days when the car should be ready. Meanwhile, I have a 2009 A4 loaner, not a bad car at all, very zippy and handles nice. I dont miss my A6 as much as I thought
Old 04-21-2009, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Goty my car back today, they found minor built up in 2 areas and clean it with a solvent, pour in some injector cleaner, pressure tested the injectors and vaccum tested the cylinders. Let the car sit over night and had minimal misfiring in the morning. According to my SA, all Audi have some misfiring when cold, and the amount on my car was acceptable. I will updated you guys if the CEL comes back.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:38 AM
Cat Herder

Glad you got your car back, but this stuff is scary!
Old 04-21-2009, 02:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

It sure is, I drove Lexus for the last 15 years and never had one CEL. I know Audi is not a Lexus but misfiring and carbon built up after 3000 miles? I hope Audi come up with a solution soon.
Old 04-21-2009, 03:19 PM
Cat Herder

I would be beside myself if I owned an RS4 with this problem. Can't wait to see the first manifolds off R8s and see how those are doing.
Old 04-21-2009, 11:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
It sure is, I drove Lexus for the last 15 years and never had one CEL. I know Audi is not a Lexus but misfiring and carbon built up after 3000 miles? I hope Audi come up with a solution soon.
Lexus didn't have direct injection until the new GS came out. Could it be the fuel used?

Quick Reply: 3.2 / 4.2 FSI valve deposits in these engines?