A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

3.2 / 4.2 FSI valve deposits in these engines?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I use nothing but Shell V-power.
Old 04-22-2009, 04:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 921 Likes on 753 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
I use nothing but Shell V-power.
Same here. It is the only Audi approved gas in the NY metro area.
Old 04-23-2009, 06:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Acoording to some owners on the internet, it doesnt matter what kind of gas you use. The problem is that the carbon is building up behind the valve preventing it from creating a tight seal when close. Audi must have made some changes in their valve timing in the recent FSI engines. There must be a period of overlap in the intake and exhauset valve for the carbon to be able to build up. Audi is working on a new ECU program to fix this problem as we speak.
Old 04-26-2009, 12:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2005 a6 doesnt have fsi? wtf?
Old 04-26-2009, 01:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 921 Likes on 753 Posts

Originally Posted by sidehatch
2005 a6 doesnt have fsi? wtf?
2005 3.2 has fsi. 2005 4.2 is non-fsi.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:06 AM

Thank god I came across this today. I have an '08 A6 3.2 with 14k on the odometer and its having the exact same issues. Currently, its sitting in the dealership for 12 days with no fix in site. I was also told its a misfire and I can feel the car shudder on fast idle when first started up in the morning. MY CEL came on and off several times before it finally stayed on. I am not going to be accepting this for a new car. I am demanding out of my lease and into another car. As a note, this isn't my first issue. This specific car has had many problems. (Undercarriage rattle, out 20 days... CEL light, 3 times, 2 of which were Low Fuel Pressure sensor.... now 12 days out of service.. torn CV boot from factory, 2 days... HID light went out at 13k, out of warranty, $500 job to replace..supposedly needed to remove the bumper..) This is insane. I had less headaches with every other car I had. Nevertheless, I am exploring the option of moving into another vehicle, possible a Q7 Diesel.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

I've had my 37k mile 2006 3.2 A6 for about 2 weeks. Four times now, when starting it, it tries to start but doesn't "catch" and just continues to spin the motor over with the starter. I have to turn the key off and re-start to crank it up. It's as if the motor coughed and the ECU removed spark, but didn't stop the starter motor.

On a few starts it ran rough for a second or two then smoothed out. 90% of the time the start is normal and smooth.

At first I attributed this to it sitting on the lot with stale gas in the tank, so I filled with fresh and added a bottle of Techron. Still does it after the Techron and a couple tanks of fuel. Has done it on both hot and cold starts. No CEL.

I'm wondering if all this is the issue you guys are talking about, perhaps with something else thrown in? The car is back to the dealer tomorrow (for something else), but now the SA knows about this issue as well.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by brunom
Thank god I came across this today. I have an '08 A6 3.2 with 14k on the odometer and its having the exact same issues. Currently, its sitting in the dealership for 12 days with no fix in site. I was also told its a misfire and I can feel the car shudder on fast idle when first started up in the morning. MY CEL came on and off several times before it finally stayed on. I am not going to be accepting this for a new car. I am demanding out of my lease and into another car. As a note, this isn't my first issue. This specific car has had many problems. (Undercarriage rattle, out 20 days... CEL light, 3 times, 2 of which were Low Fuel Pressure sensor.... now 12 days out of service.. torn CV boot from factory, 2 days... HID light went out at 13k, out of warranty, $500 job to replace..supposedly needed to remove the bumper..) This is insane. I had less headaches with every other car I had. Nevertheless, I am exploring the option of moving into another vehicle, possible a Q7 Diesel.
I am surprise your car have been in the dealership for 12 days with no fix in site. The dealership should be pretty familar with this problem by now, the Audi tech deaprtment certainly should be as well. I would make a print out of this thread and show it to the dealer. I anot sure about the Q7's diesel engine, but the 4.2L gas engine have the same problem.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default missfire

I have a 2007 A6 Avant, i had this problem for quite some time. Multiple CEL at the dealer several times. Finaly we came to the conclusion that carbon buildup was the cause and it was going to be a re-occuring problem due to the engine design. ie FSI, no fuel on back of valves. I got it back and decided to take it upon myself to run a can of Seafoam Engine cleaner through the intake. it actually solved my problem by removing carbon and it ran quite good until recently. this worked for me but doing it every 5-8 thousand kms is crazy.

Hopefully Audi will put in the teck time and come up with a fix for this, maybe a factory CCV filter or updated ECU program. I plan on having this car a long time. I would hope audi will stand behind their products.

anyone having this problem should call Audi North America and ask to be notified when a fix is available, atleast then they will know customers expect a fix. and this is unacceptable on a car of this caliber.
Old 05-05-2009, 04:37 PM

The dealer here in NY is not what I call a prime dealership. They are slow and their service manager is unreachable. The writers are not communicative.. so I dont know what their issue is. Tomorrow is day 13. Who nows when I will get this back. I certainly want out of this lease though..

Quick Reply: 3.2 / 4.2 FSI valve deposits in these engines?