A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

30 inches of snow and the A6 owned!

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 02:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't worry about snow getting caught up underneath. The belly pan covers defelcts it. Once the snow gets to the bumper, it acts as a plow. I think my A6 is better in the snow then my wifes MDX with the SH-AWD.
Old 02-10-2010, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A6 is great but...

My wifes Subaru Tribeca seems to be slightly better. Granted the ground clearance makes a positive difference, however the ESP and traction control in our vehicles (to me at least) seems too obtrusive. Pressing once cancels traction control and holding it down is intended to cut ESP - but it kicks back in when I have the tail out. Any ideas on how to COMPLETELY disable the ESP?

Anyhow, for regular driving in snow or deep snow the Quattro certainly behaves as if its on rails! I wouldn't trade it for anything else...
Old 02-10-2010, 08:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by akabraham
My wifes Subaru Tribeca seems to be slightly better. Granted the ground clearance makes a positive difference, however the ESP and traction control in our vehicles (to me at least) seems too obtrusive. Pressing once cancels traction control and holding it down is intended to cut ESP - but it kicks back in when I have the tail out. Any ideas on how to COMPLETELY disable the ESP?

Anyhow, for regular driving in snow or deep snow the Quattro certainly behaves as if its on rails! I wouldn't trade it for anything else...
I noticed the same thing, I completely shut off ESP but only could get movement on 2 tires. I always thought the quattro gave power to 4 wheels at the same time. I had to really gun it to get all the wheels spinning.
Old 02-10-2010, 02:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NoVA_A6
. I always thought the quattro gave power to 4 wheels at the same time.
Hi, I met the regional Audi rep at the stealership one time and asked him specific questions about the drive system on my 2006 A6.

It has a Torsen diff in the center and open diffs front and rear. The ABS system will squeeze a spinning wheel to divert power from one side to the other for maximum go power. Turning off TC (first press) will eliminate the ABS acting on the open diffs. So basically, at that point, you'd have a Chevy pickup with a locked center diff LOL

Use it as you need it, but I usually operate mine in the snow with TC off to keep brake wear and dusting down. I am constantly messing with the settings and having fun with it :-)

Hope this helps.

John
Old 02-11-2010, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Medic1
Hi, I met the regional Audi rep at the stealership one time and asked him specific questions about the drive system on my 2006 A6.

It has a Torsen diff in the center and open diffs front and rear. The ABS system will squeeze a spinning wheel to divert power from one side to the other for maximum go power. Turning off TC (first press) will eliminate the ABS acting on the open diffs. So basically, at that point, you'd have a Chevy pickup with a locked center diff LOL

Use it as you need it, but I usually operate mine in the snow with TC off to keep brake wear and dusting down. I am constantly messing with the settings and having fun with it :-)

Hope this helps.

John

So when you press and hold to shut off ESP is that different?
Old 02-11-2010, 10:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 175 Likes on 154 Posts

Even better with air adaptive suspension so you can raise the car when needed.