A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

997 Tips: anyone here remove their old tips? Are the soldered on?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 12:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 997 Tips: anyone here remove their old tips? Are the soldered on?

I want to install the 997 tips with just the bolt to see how they look. Anyone know which tip goes on which side?

TIA
David
Old 03-27-2007, 02:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 997 Tips: anyone here remove their old tips? Are the soldered on?

I have yet found anyone who could actually put these on correctly. If you go back a few pages you'll see my post with photos.

But to answer your question I had them welded on. But I believe you can use the bolt ons to at least drive around and get a feel for the way they look & then get them permanently welded. If you got the ones I have then you'd want the added security of having them welded so no one trys to steal them.

Another thing is you're going to get some conflicting ideas on which side goes on which. It's actually what word you are using I found this out after talking to Quattrings. If you hold the tips in front of you & have them facing towards you the side or tip that sunk in back farther than the other should be on the outer side of the valance or bumper. I kept saying the "longer" or "shorter" side & it was confusing the hell out of me when everyone was saying the longer tip should be on the outside.

But if you look at the tips at the side you can see that the longer tip is indeed the one that sinks in farther so thats the interpretation I was getting confused on.

Anyway, sorry to ramble & I hope that helps.
Old 03-27-2007, 02:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default By the way if you or anyone in So. Cali know of a good exhaust shop..

please let me know so I can finally have these things put on correctly!

If you're wondering I took it to........(sigh) Midas originally. I know, I know, but there just tips!!! How hard could that install be!?!? Well, obviously harder than the guys at Midas can handle.

So any suggestions preferrably in OC would be great!

Thanks guys
Old 03-27-2007, 02:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Thanks Joe. I agree, when looking at the tips with the "exposed" side facing you

I would think that the side which has the longest "barrel" should go on the outside. I will probably take mine to Car-X Mufflers myself. And I agree, it's just frickin welding. I have to order that damn valence now. I took my old one off just to see if I could crack off the old tips, and no, welded on as well. Did you get the carbon fiber? Wish I knew someone in cali for you. Why don't you call up Joe at Crevier BMW and see if he can help? He's in parts but I used to get all my BMW stuff from him, and I live in Chicago. Crevier is on the web so check it out, I know it's in Cali. And he's a nice guy to deal with.

David
Old 03-27-2007, 03:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Absolutely no problem & thanks for the tip at Crevier...

I'll check'em out!