A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

A6 maintainance

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 11:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A6 maintainance

Here's a question for you do it yourself guys out there...

I'm in the market for a 2005/2006/2007 A6 (C6 platform) for my wife. My question is - is routine maintainance (brakes, suspension, timing belt, etc) any more difficult for these cars than for previous Audi models?
I've owned Audis for close to 40 years and always done all my own maintainance. The reason I'm asking is that I've just been listening to a mechanic telling me what dogs these cars are to work on and how unreliable they are. Practically had me looking for a Toyota.
Also, anything in particular to look out for when buying one of these cars?

Thanks. Vic Norman.
Old 05-27-2011, 12:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by vicnorman

I'm in the market for a 2005/2006/2007 A6 (C6 platform) for my wife. My question is - is routine maintainance (brakes, suspension, timing belt, etc) any more difficult for these cars than for previous Audi models?
I've owned Audis for close to 40 years and always done all my own maintainance. The reason I'm asking is that I've just been listening to a mechanic telling me what dogs these cars are to work on and how unreliable they are. Practically had me looking for a Toyota.

Thanks. Vic Norman.

Vic, The car does not have a timing belt, it is a chain so that is a plus. Front brakes are like any regular car, rear brakes you need a Vag Com to release the rear calipers. Any Mechanic who works on Audis should have this. I bought one about $400 to reset the service light. Never did suspension work(only at 27k miles) I will say under the hood is a little tight. The engine is so far foward that room is at a premium. From what I have read this model seems more reliable than the previous generation.
Good luck, Ray
Old 05-27-2011, 04:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

I'm in the market for a 2005/2006/2007 A6 (C6 platform) for my wife. My question is - is routine maintenance (brakes, suspension, timing belt, etc) any more difficult for these cars than for previous Audi models?
I've owned Audis for close to 40 years and always done all my own maintenance. The reason I'm asking is that I've just been listening to a mechanic telling me what dogs these cars are to work on and how unreliable they are. Practically had me looking for a Toyota.

Thanks. Vic Norman.
I think mechanically it close to the previous generation. Audi did quite a lot of improvements in mechanical parts so they break less and easier to replace then in previous models.
On the other side it has much more electronic components and these components involved in a lot of car's functions. MMI/MOST is touchy and hard to debug. ECU shares milage with three other CPUs. I have no idea what will happen if millage would go out of sync. Or what will happen if advanced key misfunction in the middle of the ride. Or if radiator fan wiring will interfere with steering lock wiring.
Old 05-27-2011, 06:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have a 2005 and have been great, and its so easy to change the oil filter love it. Great gas saver, excellent acceleration. About maintenance its like any car dealer if you go to them they will rip you to dead..But I see that regular stuff like oil, motor wash, de carb is cheap. But overall is you buy the vag com you will diagnose almost evrything..
Old 05-28-2011, 01:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks. Vic Norman.
Sounds like your mechanic is way behind the times. I would ditch your current mechanic as he seems to not know squat for the last six years.

The truth is, with a few exceptions, Audi has come an incredibly long way since 2005. MB and Porsche have come an incredibly long way since 2007 and VW since 2006.

Unfortunately, BMW has been going in the opposite direction since 2008 and Toyota and Scion since 2007.

Last edited by Audi S5 TC; 05-28-2011 at 01:06 AM.
Old 05-28-2011, 05:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Audi S5 TC
Sounds like your mechanic is way behind the times. I would ditch your current mechanic as he seems to not know squat for the last six years.

The truth is, with a few exceptions, Audi has come an incredibly long way since 2005. MB and Porsche have come an incredibly long way since 2007 and VW since 2006.

Unfortunately, BMW has been going in the opposite direction since 2008 and Toyota and Scion since 2007.
POW!! the truth!! nice...
Old 05-31-2011, 01:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the replies guys. I guess my wife WILL be getting an A6...