A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Adaptive Air

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 12:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Adaptive Air

I bid a fond farewell to my 2003 allroad last June.

The allroad had a four-position "adaptive" suspension. The allroad had what was sometimes described as a four-position "dynamic" (but NOT real time) suspension.

My long-time dealer sales rep says that the A6's adaptive air suspension is "newer" and "improved" but "essentially the same" suspension (with the air bladders and ability to dynamically lower the car at certain speeds when in full auto mode and return to higher settings when slowing and/or stopping.)

Don't get me wrong, I really liked my allroad's air suspension and it was trouble free (I kept the car to 46K miles or so.)

But, wouldn't a "better" choice were it offered be the "X" dual diagnoal shocks that currently adorn the RS4 and were on the last gen RS6 -- IF the desire was for more control and more "real time" dynamic adaptation?

Given a choice between the S-Line suspension and the adaptive air suspension, even if the latter were "only" $995.00, I do believe with the experience I had (which was fine) I would prefer the SLine treatment.

The 4 position suspension will probably be used by most folks in one position and there will be folks who will use almost exclusively position 1 (the lowest) and probably a bunch who will use position 2 (next up and a good balance of ride and handling), fewer to use position 3 and fewer still position 4.

The concept is great, the excution likewise -- but the word "adaptive" although accurate is not exactly what some folks think it is. It adapts, true, but it doesn't exactly REACT and it is not responsive in the sense of the word that would suggest "quickness of change."

The dual-diagonal hydraulic system, on the other hand, even though "passive" is real time, is reactive and responsive from my very short intro to it in the RS4.

It also seems that that system would be lower in cost and possibly more reliable after 50,000 miles.

I may be wrong, and if so, mea culpa.

But, if I am significantly correct in my understanding what is the appeal -- this isn't an allroad for pity's sake.

Just wondering. . . .
Old 08-04-2006, 01:03 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts
Default Excellent notes as always...

I figure it like this.

Normal suspension is adequate for most people who buy an A6. 90%

S-Line is for people who like sportier handling and are enthusiast like you and myself. Generally most AudiWorld members. 5%

Adaptive air is for the older crowd who want a truly "floating on air" ride. 5%

Also it was my impression that the adaptive air automatically compensated for load (5 passengers and full luggage) or also for speed (lowered more at high speeds.)

I see your point though that Audi has some better options that they could put in the A6, but haven't.
Old 08-04-2006, 01:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Adaptive Air

Not sure your sales rep friend is correct. At least not on the '07s. I recently drove a 2003 2.7T Allroad with the air suspsension for a couple of weeks. That system is designed almost exclusive for ride-height adjustment/ground clearance, not handling. It is also at least 4 years old, and on a car with a number of differences in weight distribution and center or gravity.

The air suspension in the '07 A6 4.2 was very different. It is developed from the one that has been on the A8 for many years. I have found it to be "adaptive" quickly enough in the driving I have done so far. Admitedly, I have not yet pushed this new car to its limits. But then again, this is a 4,500 lb, 4 door luxury sedan with a sporting nature, not a sports car.

You can take even an average sports car and easily out-handle the A6 with whatever suspension you choose (including the "S") variant. Even with half the power, a Mazda Miata will embarras an A6 on a curvy road in spirited driving. But that is not the mission of an A6.

I also leased a 2003 A6 2.7T for 3 years before acquiring the '07 4.2. That car had the sport package on it as well. And I prefer the air suspension over that one as well.

And as for reliability past 50,000 miles, who cares? That is Audi's problem since almost all A6s are leased, and most of those for 36 months or less.

You asked the question of what is the appeal. I can tell you that I enjoy the more comfortable ride over the 90% of pot-hole strewn driving that we all in reality do, and am willing to give up possibly the last 5% of handling at the limit (which almost none of us ever gets a chance to do anyway). And if I really want to go and drive the car hard, I can kick the air suspension into sport mode where I see little if any difference between it and the S-Line suspension.
Old 08-04-2006, 01:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Default We have air

It's a compromise between my needs and my wife's

Quite seriously, I think that the "old folks floating" feeling really can't be found in this car, in none of the suspension settings. The normal position is comfortable, but definitely not floaty. The Dynamic setting is noticeably edgier, very close to the S-line suspension in my experience.

We used the Lift position when camping, but indeed I see this mainly as a cute thing.

Until we have roads of German quality around here (speak: never), I will be very happy with the current air suspension. The suspension from the current RS4, or the old RS6 (which I have extensively driven on a track) was nowhere nearly as comfortable as the current A6 air suspension - and let's face it, that's what _most_ A6 buyers are after.
Old 08-04-2006, 04:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 616 Likes on 513 Posts
Default Better choice would apparently NOT be the RS 6 set up

If you follow the RS6 board, the stock DRC set up is apparently a real reliability weak spot on the car. Note the huge number of replies and general interest the post stirred up--that's probably a pretty representative sample of the whole RS6 board, including most of the supporters. It's said in fun, but when you follow the RS6 board at least occasionally, it's not reassuring at all. The regular flow of posts tend to say the problems recur, dealers often don't get it right, fix times are long...bad stuff.

Thus, if/when I look at an RS 6, my question now would be, "so have you taken care of any suspension failures with DRC..."<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/rs6/msgs/29244.phtml">RS 6 problems</a></li></ul>
Old 08-04-2006, 05:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Instead of guessing, why don't you just test drive one?

Unless you've driven the A6 with air suspension, you're just guessing. In my experience, the air package has significantly better handling than the standard A6 I test drove as well as a better ride. So you get the best of both worlds, and IMO something worth the extra expense. I'm not sure about the s-line suspension, as I haven't driven one.

The new TT will have a magnetic suspension developed by Delphi and used in things from Cadillacs to Ferraris. This is probably the future.
Old 08-05-2006, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

The one that has been on the A8 "for many years" IS the allroad version.
Old 08-05-2006, 09:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Instead of guessing, why don't you just test drive one?

I would be happy to test drive one and unless there are none unsold, I will.

My point, however, remains -- the air suspension is not an "active/real-time" system in the same sense that the "X" dual-diagonal system from the last RS6 and current RS4 are "real time."

I do not think the air suspension would be in any way detrimental.

The sportier or sportiest settings (lowest) of the adaptive air would more than likely be similar to the S-Line calibration.

The S-Line calibration coupled with the "X" dual dynamic shocks, would seem to accomplish the best of both worlds if handling and handling performance were at the top of one's shopping list is / was my point.

I had my allroad's suspension lowered by 12mm so that when I was in the lowest position it compressed the springs providing crisper handling; I also uprated the anti-sway bar (rear) by 20% and graduated to 245 x 45 x 18" wheels/tires. Still what was missing was the real time anti roll compensation that the dual diagonal system offers.

The new adaptive is "sort of" real time, continuing the theme from the allroad.

Wonder why the non RS buyers can't opt for the RS treatment, that is?
Old 08-05-2006, 05:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Has the RS4 fixed this yet?
Old 08-07-2006, 05:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Instead of guessing, why don't you just test drive one?

The X shock system (invented by Yamaha for motorcycles) really isn't dynamic from what I understand. Versus a standard setup, it helpes improve ride quality while preventing body roll. However, it does not adjust to road conditions and the settings do not become "softer" if you go straight on a rough road versus a smooth one.

The magnetic shock system on the new TT seems much closer to a true dynamic setup.

Quick Reply: Adaptive Air