A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011
Old 09-07-2016, 01:55 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A6 (C6) Lighting Guides
Print Wikipost

Adaptive headlight shaking! Please Help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 12:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adaptive headlight shaking! Please Help!

Shortly after I purchased my A6 I noticed that the xenon headlights would shake / wiggle up and down as Im driving, and especially on bumpy roads. I would notice this when driving behind a car or even on road signs where light was most reflective.. It didnt always happen but it did about 90% of the times... I thought the headlight was loose or something. I brang the car into the dealership and they mentioned everything was in place and nothing was loose, they also re adjusted the headlight settings. The problem still continued. I was pretty annoyed as you can imagine. To make a long story short.. I have been in & out of different dealersships.(about 10 times now!) 3 times I have had a "tech" drive the vehicle at night with me in it to diagnose the problem. Crazy as it sounds, those 3 times the headlights did not shake!!! It drove me crazy. and the techs think im crazy. They said they never had a complaint like this nor noticed this type of problem on any other audis. I have beeb trying to get the Audi dealer to replace the lights, but they say they cant replace a problem they cant diagnose. Also... I have driven and seen other Audi;s and have not seen this problem, I really think its a headlight fault or defective headlight.. oh, and several times in the front speedometer consule a warning popped up saying "adaptive headlight defective" but once the car is turned off and back on it goes away. SO ANNOYING! what to do in this matter so Audi can replace the whole headlight system?>?????? please help!
Old 02-16-2007, 01:27 PM

Default Re: Adaptive headlight shaking! Please Help!

I have similiar symtoms,but mine are stuck to the right.My dealer told me there's nothing wrong,all adj. are correct. But driving the car at night p***es me off! Need some help too.
Old 02-16-2007, 01:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

You guys should prob take it to a good indie if the dealers keep telling you there's nothing wrong.
Old 02-16-2007, 03:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default The warning is probably stored as a fault in the car's memory.

Then the dealer should replace any and all parts until it does not happen anymore. Same thing happened on my Benz and they took care of everything. It took 3 visits though.

CZ
Old 02-16-2007, 03:22 PM
Cat Herder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default check your regional forum for someone that has a vag-com and...

there may be codes stored regarding your lights.

I've always had a tiny bit of shaking, but I don't think mine's nearly as bad as yours sounds.
Old 02-16-2007, 05:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Adaptive headlight shaking! Please Help!

Mind was so bad that I got pulled over by a cop claiming that it was blinding to oncoming vehicles.

Took it to my mechanic who informed me that there is a clip-like plastic/rubber that holds the light in place even when it moves adaptively, when he checked mine, this plastic was no where to be found....had fallen off or broken. Here's the kicker, Audi does not sell the unit alone. In fact, they appeared not to know what it was. I was advised that the only way [as it seems for now] is to BUY ANOTHER HEAD-LIGHT!!!. Another $800-$1,000 expense. Ain't gonna happen, I said.

Hence, I'm here. Turning to the good people of AW for a miracle
Old 02-18-2007, 03:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default I wonder if capturing it on video would convince them.

Have a passenger hold a video cam for you. ...assuming you have one that is good in low light.

John
Old 02-19-2007, 03:21 PM

Default Re: I wonder if capturing it on video would convince them.

I called my service adviser and told her that. She suggested that a tech take the car home with him so he can see the problem at night. I told her that wasn't a good idea. Just think about that tech beating the snot out of car. I dont think so! Opinions please thanx