A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Advanced key Mystery

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 05:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advanced key Mystery

My 2006 A6 Avant has the advanced key option. I am getting confused about the unlocking feature. According to the manual the door(s) will unlock when you get within 5 feet of the door with the master key. In the beginning this worked. After a month or so it stopped working. I now have to touch the door handle to unlock. I just had my car serviced. I asked them to check out the advanced key. They told me that the advanced key works the same as their other cars (they need to press the handle). So, my question is if anybody that has the advanced key option can tell me if their proximity sensor is working or if they have to touch the door to unluck the car?

Regards,
Tom from Florida,

2006 A6 Avant, most options, Silver, Black
2000 Porsche 911
Old 03-08-2006, 05:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I've always had to touch the handle.
Old 03-08-2006, 05:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Same here

The way I read the manual is that you have to STAND within 5 ft of the car and SOMEONE needs to touch the handle. Meaning, if you are walking in a group of people you don't have to be the first one to touch the handle, it can be one of your passengers.

That's how it always worked on my Avant, anyway, and all the other cars I have tried. Sometimes, when you park the car for a long time (like 2 days, forgot exactly) the convenience system will totally shut down to conserve energy and you have to actually lift the handle once to unlock, and the 2nd lift will then open the door.

I'd say your car is behaving as intended =)
Old 03-08-2006, 05:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Agreed, you have to touch the door handle, there are sensors....

then the module uses the 3 antennas to search for the location of the key and authorize that door to unlock.
Old 03-08-2006, 06:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default The sensors seem to be under the handles... as for others unlocking

My car won't unlock unless I am the first to touch the handle (key in my pocket) if anyone else grabs their handle, then I go for mine the car won't do anything until they let go. I always just thought of this as a security feature in case someone was trying to jump in the car with you or something.
Old 03-08-2006, 07:13 PM

Default hmm..how can I reset

convenience system to work nomal? I been lifting handle for twice to open the door since I got the car.
Old 03-09-2006, 02:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default The proximity sensor is only for varification of coded key existence. They are....

located on each door, trunklit (tailgate for Avant) and center console. You need to touch the handle to triggle the unlock and press the button under the handle for locking. Depends the the particular surrounding situation, such as temp and moist in the air, it is possible to triggle the unlock when you are closer enough (although it is not designed to be that way). Since the entire concept of this is based on the concept of body static electric discharge and resistence.
Old 03-09-2006, 06:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Go slower, stick your hand under it and give it 1/2 a second or so
Old 03-09-2006, 06:26 AM

Default Re: Advanced key Mystery

Well contrary to the answers provided by others, with my 2005 A6, when I approach my doors, either front or rear, with the key in my front pants pocket, i.e. level with the door, I hear the doors unlock before I physically touch the handle. Also once locked, I can open and close the trunk lid, and on reclose the car is locked, without my having to touch anything.
Old 03-09-2006, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Fascinating... what are your MMI settings?

There are settings for door locks and such in the MMI "Car" section what are yours set to?

When I get my car back this will definitely be something I check out.

Does it beep at you when you shut the doors and walk away so you know it's locked?

Quick Reply: Advanced key Mystery