A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Advanced Key problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 12:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advanced Key problem

Hello! I'm a noob here and I did search the forum for an answer before posting but I apologize if there was a prior discussion of this issue that my search did not yield.

I have an '06 A6 Avant with Advanced Key. We bought the car CPO and at the time of purchase it only had one master key. As part of the agreement, and a requirement to be a CPO, the dealer was to furnish a second master key. Well, the dealer came through and ordered one for me. I brought all keys and the car in for coding. The new master key does NOT control via Advanced Key. It DOES unlock, lock, and start the car when inserting the blade in as a traditional key but when trying to unlock, lock, or start the car with the new master key in my hand or pocket it does nothing.

The problem master key is brand new so the battery should not be an issue. To eliminate that problem I did try a working CR2032 battery and it still did not work. To further complicate matters, the master key that the car came with originally works perfectly and Advanced Key works without issue with this key so I do not suspect a bad door handle or ignition lock. I also tried starting the car with the new non-fully functioning master key in the ignition and pressing the unlock button without success in hopes that this would sort of sync the new key. Plus, I read this in a past post as being something that might help.

So what do you think is the problem and solution? If the new master key was not coded correctly the car would not start. Unless of course there is special coding required for Advanced Key that wasn't done. Does anyone know if this is required? Is there a different master key for use with cars equipped with Advanced Key versus a "regular" master key?

Thank you all for your input. I would be easier to go to the dealer but we had to buy from a dealer 2 hours away and dropping in for them to check it is not exactly convenient.
Old 05-24-2009, 04:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have no experience with the Advanced Key so I cannot help you there. However, part of buying a CPO is that you have FACTORY support for the warranty period. So, you don't need to return to the dealer you purchased it from. Any Audi dealer should do the work required to get it to work and they'll bill Audi for the required work. Take it to your nearest dealer to figure it out. As you said, this is required to work to meet CPO standards and if you fail to get the support you are due then call Audi and let them figure it out. Good Luck.
Old 05-25-2009, 02:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 924 Likes on 756 Posts

Audi has a TSB on synchronizing the key. Try these steps:

a. Open the vehicle mechanically with the key.
b. Insert the key into the ignition lock and switch on the ignition.
c. Switch the ignition off again.

If the synchronization procedure was not successful, adapt the remote control key(s) to the Central Comfort System control module (Address Word 46) using the VAS Scan Tool. Follow test plan J393-central control module for comfort system, adapting remote control key via adaptation (channel 21). Sometimes following the “erase all memory positions first” test plan produces better results.

If that does not work take it back to Audi.