A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Advice on upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 03:48 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on upgrades

So I just got a 2005 A6. It's fully loaded, and I absolutely love it. This is my first car. I was wondering what I could do to it, as in performance parts. I don't want to do anything drastic, just some basic stuff that is not too expensive. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Old 12-07-2013, 04:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 202 Likes on 173 Posts

what model? 3.2, 4.2?

As for 'upgrades' most are subjective, but there's PLENTY of threads on what folks have done. Use the SEARCH function and you'll see many.

Here's the 'upgrades' associated with my car:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...php?t=2844343/
Old 12-07-2013, 05:43 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by raj99
what model? 3.2, 4.2?

As for 'upgrades' most are subjective, but there's PLENTY of threads on what folks have done. Use the SEARCH function and you'll see many.

Here's the 'upgrades' associated with my car:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...php?t=2844343/
Sorry, forgot to mention it was a 3.2L. Thank you.
Old 12-07-2013, 06:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

you do realize that there are no 'relative' cheap parts on an Audi

what you should do is keep aside at least $100/month to ensure you have an maintenance account and also, be aware there's maintenance on these cars that Audi does not require, but you SHOULD do; transmission filter and fluid change, for example. Also, based upon the mileage, you may need new struts. Be sure to do all the other maintenance; plugs, oil, brakes, brake fluid, air filter...there's a LOT

like I said, USE THE SEARCH and you'll see a lot of advice on mods. Many are aesthetic only, since there's really not many 'go-fast' mods on the 3.2...and not many 'cheap' ones.
Old 12-08-2013, 01:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 924 Likes on 756 Posts

Don't waste your money trying to turn the 3.2 into a performance car. Just accept it for what it is. As Raj said, put the money aside for maintenance.

If you are determined to spend money on new parts, you should consider replacing the rear sway bar with the H&R, upgrading to Koni FSD dampers and change to high quality season dedictated tires.

Last edited by KevinGary; 12-08-2013 at 02:04 AM.
Old 12-08-2013, 12:55 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

what you should do is keep aside at least $100/month to ensure you have an maintenance account and also, be aware there's maintenance on these cars that Audi does not require, but you SHOULD do; transmission filter and fluid change, for example. Also, based upon the mileage, you may need new struts. Be sure to do all the other maintenance; plugs, oil, brakes, brake fluid, air filter...there's a LOT

like I said, USE THE SEARCH and you'll see a lot of advice on mods. Many are aesthetic only, since there's really not many 'go-fast' mods on the 3.2...and not many 'cheap' ones.
Thanks for the advice. My brother as an A8 so I know there is some maintainence required. I'm going to look at your thread. I really like the grill you out in yours.
Old 12-08-2013, 01:00 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

And I'm not looking for "cheap" parts. I wouldn't have bought the car if I wanted to put cheap parts on it. I'm looking for parts that are not like the most expensive ones.
Old 12-08-2013, 01:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I'm a bit confused, in your OP you asked for 'as in performance parts'...are you actually looking for improved performance or are you seeking mods which aren't necessarily performance related but are aesthetically pleasing to your tastes?

There are plenty of mods on the A6, just not many for the 3.2 that are actually perf related. As Kevin said, go with sway bars, coils/struts, and I run a summer and winter set of wheels.
Old 12-08-2013, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by KevinGary
Don't waste your money trying to turn the 3.2 into a performance car. Just accept it for what it is. As Raj said, put the money aside for maintenance.

If you are determined to spend money on new parts, you should consider replacing the rear sway bar with the H&R, upgrading to Koni FSD dampers and change to high quality season dedictated tires.
I'm not trying to turn it in to a track car, just some basic things like exhaust, intake, and coilovers. I'll look into the stuff you listed. Thanks!
Old 12-08-2013, 01:13 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by KevinGary

I'm a bit confused, in your OP you asked for 'as in performance parts'...are you actually looking for improved performance or are you seeking mods which aren't necessarily performance related but are aesthetically pleasing to your tastes?

There are plenty of mods on the A6, just not many for the 3.2 that are actually perf related. As Kevin said, go with sway bars, coils/struts, and I run a summer and winter set of wheels.
Yes, I'm looking for both, but I understand now that there are not as many performance parts for the 3.2 like you said. Thanks for the suggestions, I really appreciate it.