A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Advise on rear binding sound and Warranty needed

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 02:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advise on rear binding sound and Warranty needed

I was hoping someone could help me out with my situation. I bought a 2005 A6, 4.2 w/ the sport package a few months ago. It came with a Wheelz AAGI warranty as well. I found the listing on this site. Here is my car

http://classifieds.audiworld.com/sho...ct/1437/cat/22

I have been noticing a binding sound coming from the rear axle. It occurs not only on tight parking lot turns but also sweeping turns. When I have people in the back seat they say they feel a vibration and say the binding sound is loud (I lost a lot of my hearing in Iraq and suffer from extreme tinnitus) so if I hear it is loud.

I took my car to the State College, PA Audi dealership and they said the rear differential needs to be replaced. They run about $3600. and take about 5 hours of labor to install. I called Wheelz AAGI and they said they need the Audi shop to breakdown the differential and pin point the problem before they authorize a repair. They also said they need to make sure I did not hit a curb or run it dry etc. Which I know I have not; this car is babied and was just thoroughly inspected when it arrived, all fluids were 100% and clean.

Tomorrow the Audi shop is going to take apart the rear diff. in hopes to pin point this problem. Has anyone ever heard of this noise before? I am afraid they will not be able to pin point anything or the Wheelz warranty will refuse to pay. Any advice on where to tell the Audi shop to look or advice with working the Wheelz AAGI would be appreciated.
Old 12-02-2009, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by joedirt1
I was hoping someone could help me out with my situation. I bought a 2005 A6, 4.2 w/ the sport package a few months ago. It came with a Wheelz AAGI warranty as well. I found the listing on this site. Here is my car

http://classifieds.audiworld.com/sho...ct/1437/cat/22

I have been noticing a binding sound coming from the rear axle. It occurs not only on tight parking lot turns but also sweeping turns. When I have people in the back seat they say they feel a vibration and say the binding sound is loud (I lost a lot of my hearing in Iraq and suffer from extreme tinnitus) so if I hear it is loud.

I took my car to the State College, PA Audi dealership and they said the rear differential needs to be replaced. They run about $3600. and take about 5 hours of labor to install. I called Wheelz AAGI and they said they need the Audi shop to breakdown the differential and pin point the problem before they authorize a repair. They also said they need to make sure I did not hit a curb or run it dry etc. Which I know I have not; this car is babied and was just thoroughly inspected when it arrived, all fluids were 100% and clean.

Tomorrow the Audi shop is going to take apart the rear diff. in hopes to pin point this problem. Has anyone ever heard of this noise before? I am afraid they will not be able to pin point anything or the Wheelz warranty will refuse to pay. Any advice on where to tell the Audi shop to look or advice with working the Wheelz AAGI would be appreciated.
No advice but best of luck to you.