A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

After getting full tank of gas, driving about 100 yards my car just died : o(....

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2013, 03:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default After getting full tank of gas, driving about 100 yards my car just died : o(....

CEL, EPC and battery light came on. I did restart the car and everything was ok, until I put it in D. Car choked and just died again. I suspect fuel pump or fuel filter. Car died around 11pm, so g/f have to pick me up. Next day around noon i came back and try to start the car, again start without the problem. Only my g/f while driving behind me told me that car did smoke (black) after i hit the gas. I was able to drive the car and drop it at the Indy shop. They check the codes and told me its for fuel pressure. Indy thinks its fuel sender or pump that level fuel between two gas tanks. I was told that when unused fuel comes back from the engine, fuel comes to the one part to the tank. Since both tanks should be leveled, there is a pump that move that fuel from the tank 1 to tank 2 (so both have a same amount of fuel). (I hope you understand, try to explain it in the simple way, lol). .

Since i got the car back friday (car was in the shop since tuesday and died on me monday night), i drove about 40miles total and this morning i got CEL again, but car is driving good.

Car was driving great until today (sunday), put on about 50 miles. Started the car at the store this morning and car died on me again for my convenience was raining so i can walk in the rain to work. Great day grrrrrrrr! Anyone having any idea?
Old 09-29-2013, 03:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my check engine light came on half an hour ago I feel loss of power a6 2006 3.2 shakes bad when I start it but lights never came on......2 weeks ago dealership told me that I need to change 3rd cylinder fuel injector........I don't know if I can even drive to them tomorrow or get it towed I drove it home fine with noticeable loss of engine power......i'm not a car expert but have them check your injectors.....
Old 09-29-2013, 03:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

a relatively cheap and easy attempt at a possible fix would be to replace the existing fuel filter with a new one. If there is a blockage in the old filter, that could be a culprit.

Good luck
Old 09-29-2013, 04:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 164 Likes on 118 Posts

Check for contaminated fuel. A friend of mine had a similar problem with his Saab. His car died shortly after filling it at a local gas station. In his case there were other cars nearby with the same problem. Turns out the gas station had a problem with their in-ground tank cap and they got water in the tank. The water sinks to the bottom of the tank and gets picked up by the fuel pump causing the car to die after a very short drive.
Old 09-29-2013, 04:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Its not short drive, i put the car in D hit the gas and car dies. If i left the car idle, car will idle for about 30sec. than dies all with CEL, EPC and battery light on. If i restart the car, CEL is gone and car is idling fine (until i put it in D or wait). I hope i can restart the car tomorrow and everything will be ok (well, probably for little bit).
Old 10-13-2013, 12:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default [Update]: replaced fuel filter and its not it. Got CEL again,

now the car was losing power while I was driving than jerk rpm jumps high and car continue to drive. When I park the car, car die after few second and EPC light comes on. I try to restart the car and out does start and was running ok, but CEL was still on. I didn't drive the car yet, just let it idle.
Two hours later i restart the car and was able to start the car and drive it back to the shop (CEL stays on) and car drives good. This is getting pretty frustrating since they don't know what can be wrong with the car.
I got the 000139 [P008B] code. Fuel pump tested good, pressure readings are fine and level sensors checked good.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by raj99
a relatively cheap and easy attempt at a possible fix would be to replace the existing fuel filter with a new one. If there is a blockage in the old filter, that could be a culprit.

Good luck
Yup.. Fuel filter 'the most neglected part' on an Audi A6!
Old 10-15-2013, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 912 Likes on 746 Posts

Originally Posted by mystrodo
Yup.. Fuel filter 'the most neglected part' on an Audi A6!
That and the ATF. Audi thinks both are lifetime items.
Old 10-15-2013, 12:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

You may have flooded/defective EVAP canister. Do you have swooshing sound when removing the fuel tank cap while before getting gas? Does the pump clicks off constantly while getting gas?

When the EVAP canister gets saturated the gas tank then starts to be build vacuum. This then causes problem of starvation as the fuel pump is not sending enough fuel to the engine.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

nope, i pump it all without stop. They just gave me the car pack and replace the fuel psi sensor (was told that they are positive that this is it). Will see! Thanks all for your replies!

Quick Reply: After getting full tank of gas, driving about 100 yards my car just died : o(....