A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

All Season Tires - 2007 Audi S6 ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 04:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default All Season Tires - 2007 Audi S6 ?

Anyone running an all season tire on their S6 (19 inch wheels)? Tire rack tells me they have nothing in 265/35/19 or 275/35/19 sizes with an XL load rating as the S6 requires. Are they just incorrect? Any help would be appreciated. I would really rather run all seasons than have to deal with a second set of wheels and true snow tires...we dont get that much snow in NYC to make it worth it. Thanks.
Old 08-28-2009, 08:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

IMO all seasons don't handle as well as the summer performance tires. However, summer tires loose traction below 42F. Infact a new law (passed in 06 or 07) in germany makes it illegal to drive with summer tires in winters - even insurance will not cover the accident if they find u with summer tires. I found this out when I did European delivery for my BMW's and had to make sure I was not driving illegal.
Old 08-28-2009, 12:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a set of 18" Blizzaks on separate rims for the winter months here in the DC area.
Old 08-28-2009, 01:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Somehow I think putting all-season tires on a S6 defeats the purpose of buying the S6. The S6 deserves dedicated all-out summer tires and all-out winter tires, and nothing in between all year round.
Old 08-28-2009, 03:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ya really need two sets of tires as pointed out and if you can handle it and second set of *good wheels like Audi's. I like the Dunlop 3D's, they almost make me want to see that first snow.
Old 08-28-2009, 05:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

I understand the views on running the two sets and i think thats what i have to do anyway. and i agree the all seasons are a little weak but i also think that running snow tires for even just 4 months of the year when most of the time there is no snow on the ground here also is lame...anyway, looks like ill be scooping up a set of new wheels and blizzak tires...
Old 08-28-2009, 08:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Why would having an ultra high performance all-season tire defeat the purpose of getting an S6? Yes the S6 is a high performance car, but with AWD and the ultra high performance all-season tire can you really say that it's performance side-by-side with another S6 with summer tires will perform horribly?

The summer tires may pull better, but it won't rape the all-season one. To many people their S6 is a daily car that has the capability of speeding past slowpokes with ease and not racing. The all-seasons is peace of mind to not have to gamble and see when you should change the tires and not get caught with your pants down sliding into the rear end of a car.

Over on BMW and MB sites, I see elitist ***** belittle others who switched to all-seasons saying they are insulting the meaning of a true race car. Not many are willing to spend the cash for another set of wheels/tires to sit there to be possibly used. Winter in the DC metro area hasn't been bad these few years, but that one un-predictable day when it's alittle rough is what we have to watch for.
Old 08-28-2009, 08:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Or you could move here to Dallas and run summer tires year round!!!
Old 08-28-2009, 09:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Lemeux

Yes the S6 is a high performance car, but with AWD and the ultra high performance all-season tire can you really say that it's performance side-by-side with another S6 with summer tires will perform horribly?

Yes. The stickiest summer tire (extreme performance/maximum performance) and the best all-season tire (ultra high performance) are from two different worlds. Even the best all-season tire is no match for the stickiest summer tire in the dry, especially so if both type of tires are mounted on the same AWD car.

All-season tires won't perform horribly on the S6, but summer tires will bring the S6 to another performance level. That's exactly what the S6 is created for.

An AWD car with all-season tires may be on par only with a 2WD car with summer tires.
Old 08-29-2009, 03:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

As others have already said, summer tires do not work so well below 42 degrees. All season tires are not much better in the cold as the rubber has to be hard enough to survive the summer heat. Dedicated winter tires will save wear and tear on the summers, and give you far more grip in the cold (not to mention the ice and snow). The only major problem is finding a place to store the extra set of wheels. All things considered, wearing out a set of winters over 3 or 4 years is a lot cheaper than a set of summers, and there's a lively market for the wheels once you've traded the car. Over the past 15 years and four or five cars, I'd estimate that winters have only cost me about $150 per season, so why not have the best?
I put the Conti winters on 18 inch wheels for my S6, the correct size (245/45) is a bit narrower and still performs well in the dry.

Quick Reply: All Season Tires - 2007 Audi S6 ?