A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

AMI help

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 02:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AMI help

I removed the AMI now the stereo and the navigation doesnt work, any thoughts? Oh and this on a 2009 A6
Old 04-15-2011, 03:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 164 Likes on 118 Posts

First question - why did you remove the AMI? Was there a problem with it?

1. Did you reconnect the fiber optic cable so that it makes a continuous loop?

2. Did you recode the car to tell the MMI that the AMI was no longer available?
Old 04-15-2011, 03:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SchwarzS6
First question - why did you remove the AMI? Was there a problem with it?

1. Did you reconnect the fiber optic cable so that it makes a continuous loop?

2. Did you recode the car to tell the MMI that the AMI was no longer available?
I did not reconnect the fiber, I put the AMI into my A8 and it recognized it instantly so I don't think the computer has so much to do with it? How would I connect the fiber optic cable to make a loop
Old 04-15-2011, 04:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Each device in the MOST fiber optic loop has two fibers, one in and one out. The input came from the previous device in the loop and the output goes to the next device in the loop. If this loop is broken the signals cannot get back to the controller. If you look carefully at the fibers that came out of the AMI you should see that one goes over to the CD changer and the other disappears into the morass of other wires and cables behind the glove box.

There are two options. One is to swap the fibers around in the connectors (described below) and the other is to purchase a loopback connector that you can put over the dangling AMI fiber optic plug. The loopback plug is simpler but I am not sure where to get one although I believe I have seen them online.

If you do not want to buy a loopback connector here are the ghetto instructions.

You need to pull the connector out of the back of the CD player. Then carefully remove the outer connector shell, there is a clip on the shell that you need to pry open so you can remove it. You will now see the inner connector shell. Between the two fibers there is a blue locking tab. Push this out with a paper clip from the small side and lay it aside. Now you need to remove the fiber that used to be connected to the AMI. Look carefully at the connector. About half way down there is a small plastic clip which engages with a groove in the fiber end. Using a jewelers screwdriver pry this clip out carefully while pulling the fiber out of the connector. The fiber should slip out.

Now you are half way done.

Go to the connector that was plugged into the AMI. Repeat the previous procedure but this time remove the fiber that goes back into the car, not the one from the CD player.

Next plug the fiber from the AMI connector that goes back into the car into the open hole in the CD connector. It should snap into place and not pull out.

Re-insert the blue locking tab.

Push the inner connector into the outer shell until it locks into place.

Plug the connector back into the CD changer.

You should be good to go.
Old 04-15-2011, 05:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SimonBackman
I did not reconnect the fiber, I put the AMI into my A8 and it recognized it instantly so I don't think the computer has so much to do with it? How would I connect the fiber optic cable to make a loop
You need this I will try to find the part number...
Attached Images  
Old 04-15-2011, 05:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jeffry
You need this I will try to find the part number...
Here we go http://genuineaudiparts.com/partloca...&siteid=214407

part number is 4E0973802 you can buy it in genuineaudiparts.com
Old 04-15-2011, 06:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

That is the loopback connector. I knew I had seen it somewhere. Thanks for that.
Old 04-16-2011, 02:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yes its..it took me about a day to find the information the first time I was looking for it. It hard to find and very important to have one in spare just in case some device fail. There so little information about it that one time I remember calling to an Audi dealer asking about this part and the part technician told me that it wasn't important that it just a fiber tester and I was like in shock that the person didn't know nothing about the physic of fiber optic.
Old 04-16-2011, 11:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

WOW! Thanks to all of you for the quick repsonse and awesome help, I'm just going to reinstall the AMI then order the loopback as it's loads easier than disassembling the AMI optic cable but I really appreciate the help guys.