A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Any bmw or mercedes owners switched to Audi here?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 11:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any bmw or mercedes owners switched to Audi here?

I'm looking to get back into another Audi, I know the C7 is not yet released but I figure it'll be the same engine, just wondering if any owners with experiences of owning a BMW or Mercedes in the past and now drives a 3.0T think of the engine in terms of performance, response and just overall feel of the car. I'm coming from a E46 M3 so mainly looking for luxury but with a big of sportiness. Any input is appreciated.
Old 01-17-2011, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had an E46 and a few AMGs.

I love the E46 M3 and I so want one with HPF turbo kit on it! That model is one of the best looking cars I have seen and will always remain one of my favorite cars to date.

The 3.0t is not bad. It pulls and pulls pretty good. The chip should give it a quite a bit of extra power. If it will work along the lines of the S4, you should be around 400HP. That said, in my opinion, the suspension and the seats are the weaker part of the car. You will definitely feel that coming of your M. You have to get the sport package on the 3.0T and then probably still work on the suspension. The body roll on the non-sport is so bad that it is scary to take turns in that car. The sport seats still will not provide the support you’re used to now and will be something that you will just have to learn to live with.

Why aren't you looking at the B8 S4? That car is solid all around.

P.S. The sport bucket seats in my S6 ROCK

Last edited by DirtyVegasTT; 01-17-2011 at 01:13 PM.
Old 01-17-2011, 01:48 PM
RDD
AudiWorld Senior Member

I have not test driven a 3.0T but my current 3.2L A6 feels much bigger and more of a family car than my DD (E46 M3 like you). In a straight line it will be fine but prob be hard to hide the weight of the car in turns. My $0.02.
Old 01-17-2011, 04:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by DirtyVegasTT
I had an E46 and a few AMGs.

I love the E46 M3 and I so want one with HPF turbo kit on it! That model is one of the best looking cars I have seen and will always remain one of my favorite cars to date.

The 3.0t is not bad. It pulls and pulls pretty good. The chip should give it a quite a bit of extra power. If it will work along the lines of the S4, you should be around 400HP. That said, in my opinion, the suspension and the seats are the weaker part of the car. You will definitely feel that coming of your M. You have to get the sport package on the 3.0T and then probably still work on the suspension. The body roll on the non-sport is so bad that it is scary to take turns in that car. The sport seats still will not provide the support you’re used to now and will be something that you will just have to learn to live with.

Why aren't you looking at the B8 S4? That car is solid all around.

P.S. The sport bucket seats in my S6 ROCK

those seats are sexy, i love the audi interior, while it does its job, the BMW interior is a tad boring, even on the new E and F series.

I've strongly considered the S4, even test drove one. but I really wanted something with more interior room. The S4 is just a tiny bit too small. The power is a def plus on the 3.0T, but just thinking back to my family's 06 A8L and we've had a new loaner A6s, the drives were on the "boring" side. Haven't tried out the S/C ones yet, i'm sure the power is there, but I'm looking for that special bond between car and driver. haha
Old 01-17-2011, 08:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Used S6 if you are looking for room and the 'special' bond between car and driver. 3.0t maybe as quick once chipped and worked on but they will never be as engaging as the S. However I would not get the current S as new given the soon changes to come.

Originally Posted by Super Gohan II
those seats are sexy, i love the audi interior, while it does its job, the BMW interior is a tad boring, even on the new E and F series.

I've strongly considered the S4, even test drove one. but I really wanted something with more interior room. The S4 is just a tiny bit too small. The power is a def plus on the 3.0T, but just thinking back to my family's 06 A8L and we've had a new loaner A6s, the drives were on the "boring" side. Haven't tried out the S/C ones yet, i'm sure the power is there, but I'm looking for that special bond between car and driver. haha
Old 01-18-2011, 12:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

You got to remember that the A6 is a much bigger car as compared to the M3. It is more comfortable than the M3, but will not be as sporty.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I've probably posted this before, but here I go again (sorry the rest of you who've been subjected to my horrible posts). between my wife and I we've owned 4 bmw's- a 1997 328i sedan 5 speed, 2004 325i sedan auto, 2001 330i sedan auto, and 2001 325iT sport wagon 5 speed- all sport models (seats, suspension, etc.). so one E36, 3 E46 3 series. First and most important- The A6 is NOT a 3 series and never will be. Ok, now that we've established that... it is still a very comfortable, stable and luxurious car. Second, I agree with DirtyVegas- the seats aren't very supportive- especially when compared to an S6, S4 or sport modeled 3 series. However, they are cushy for long trips- probably more so than the S6 seats- we test drove an S6 and the interior is BEAUTIFUL!!, but the seats are a little stiff- not a big deal for a guy, but my wife was a little hestitant. Basically, if we could have speced out an A6 to look exactly like the 2 tone light grey/black S6 interior( down to the last detail) she would have had the perfect A6. the exterior of the S6 not so much- but its her car and her styles, and she likes what she likes I guess. Anyway, just so you know we also test drove lets see- 2009 .... mercedes E350, C350, C300, C63, BMW 535ix, Infity G35x & G45x, Lexus GS350AWD, and 2010 S4, 2009 A4 and 2007 S6. and a 2008 A6 with the 3.2 V6. So I've got a little experience in a few of these cars. The 2009 A6 was one of (not THE fastest for sure-the C63 should be illegal)the fastest cars we drove- VERY quick- in fact surprisingly quick for a little 3.0 L v6 in a 4200 lb. car. that supercharger is insane! The car closest to it in straight line performance and feel was probably the 535xi. as far as cornering, stability and overall handling- the Infiniti G35x was excellent, as was the S6 and C63. all the other "family" sport sedans like the Lexus, A6, 535xi, E350 all handled comparably,IMHO but not like a 3 series. I also agree with Dirty Vegas that the stock non-sport suspension on the A6 is spongy and boring.. I wouldn't say dangerous, but not sporty. So we put eibach sport lowering springs on it and 19 inch rims with Michelen Pilot sport 255 series tires and now it handles like a proper sports sedan- probably not quite like an S6, but we don't have the stiffer valved shocks and thicker sway bars like the S6 does. So, to sum it up. The A6 is a good, fast, luxurious car, that can be made to handle well for low $$$. Read the articles in R&T, C&D and so on... its won at least 2 head to heads with all those other compeitors in at least a couple car magazines- not because it kicks their asses in every category, but because it is overall a very good car- good looking, fast, good mileage, comfortable, huge trunk, lots of ammenities, etc. and for mid 50 grand it better be good, right? anyway, I would suggest driving all the competitors first- like the 535xi (not the 535i - that is RWD), Mercedes E Class, the Infiniti M35 or M45x, the Lexus GS350AWD, Jaguar whatever it is and so on, then see if you still like the A6- I know we do. Now, we'll see how does with reliability- that is the only area where I think Audi might have an achilles heel. we'll see!
Old 01-19-2011, 04:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

The Audi's unique characteristics, supreme build and obvious all-weather prowess has ranked it the car to own in Europe for many years, I would expect it to be the same in NA.
BTW, the very highest reward went to the A6 3.0 TDI which we don't get in NA (yet) but the A/S-6 was right up there. in the uber lux class according to Auto Motor Und Sport,nothing compares to the new A8 in that class.
Old 01-24-2011, 03:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Had an 08 535ix and now have an '11 A6 3.0T and I severely miss my BMW. Both with auto trans. The seats were much more comfortable in the BMW and the ride was much tighter. I loved the feel of the road thru the steering wheel that I had, too. To me, the biggest weakness in the Audi, however, is the transmission. My car groans to find the right gear whereas the BMW was always in the right spot, especially in low RPMS. I like the look of the Audi much better than my old 5, but there is no question regarding performance and comfort - BMW.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by joelk01
Had an 08 535ix and now have an '11 A6 3.0T and I severely miss my BMW. Both with auto trans. The seats were much more comfortable in the BMW and the ride was much tighter. I loved the feel of the road thru the steering wheel that I had, too. To me, the biggest weakness in the Audi, however, is the transmission. My car groans to find the right gear whereas the BMW was always in the right spot, especially in low RPMS. I like the look of the Audi much better than my old 5, but there is no question regarding performance and comfort - BMW.
Agree 100%!

Quick Reply: Any bmw or mercedes owners switched to Audi here?