A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Anybody want video for your A6 for cheap, see thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 01:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I installed a different video-in adapter from an ebay seller in Poland. It has 4 A/V inputs, one is selectable as an automatic reverse camera input, and an A/V out to feed rear monitors and is controlled through the "Name" button on the MMI. The $200 asking price is more than fair and it's a breeze to install.

***Remember to wait 5 minutes after shutting car off to disconnect the MMI module***

1. Remove glovebox and put it in the trunk (or somewhere safe)

2. Remove MMI unit to make things easier. If you want OEM controls, you can splice into wire # 16 on the MMI with a Radio Shack Telephone Tap. This will allow the "name" button to toggle between the video inputs. You can also run a wire (included) to get automatic switching for a reverse camera.

In the config menu, you can select how many sources (up to 4) you'd like. Hitting the "name" button will toggle between the sources, then back to the "name" menu. The adapter switches back to the MMI when ever any main (NAV/AM/FM/CD ect.) is pressed. The unit is passive in that it doesn't need power to pass the MMI signal through to the screen. It's important you connect it to switched power as it will drain the battery and will set your alarm off every few minutes. Ask me how I know...

3. I attached the adapter to the bottom of the MMI unit with some 3M foam tape. Next, I ran two 20' RCA video cables under the plasic door sill trim to the trunk- leaving one in the glovebox for an iPod video input. The unit is controlled via a small remote that conveniently fits in the front ashtray. I ran the IR sensor (smaller than a pea) through a small hole in the left top side of the glovebox and secured it with a tiny piece of foam tape. Since I wired up the name button, I only need the remote to get into the setup menu.

Fetch the cover for the jack storage in the trunk and use it to hold the glovebox at a more comfortable level once you're ready to re-install it.

This is a primer- not a full DIY. I'll make one next week when I open her up to install a Dension 500. The audio-out will connect to the stereo analog input on the Dension.

I ran switched power off the 5A washer reservoir heater circuit:

The display will automatically switch back to MMI whenever any of the function buttons (NAV/INFO/CAR/SETUP/AM-FM/CD/NAME/TEL) are pressed. Adjusting the heated seats or tempurature won't switch it back. Since I'm only using this with one input at the moment, I've got the adapter set to a single input so hitting the "name" button will toggle between VIDEO and the "name" menu.

I left the rear-view switching wire disconnected as I don't plan on installing a camera.

The adapter only provides VIDEO input, but it supports 3 A/V inputs and will switch the audio along with video. Once I get my Dension Gateway installed, I'll connect the audio out to the analog audio in on the Gateway. I've got a spare slot in the rear equipment rack under the navigation drive. There are a few inexpensive (<$80) mobile Din-sized DVD players on ebay that will fit nicely. A few models come with a remote infrared eye.

The instructions for my adapter were unfortunately in Polish, but I figured it out (aside from the reverse camera circuit)

Last edited by mikegilbert; 09-01-2009 at 03:02 PM.
Old 09-01-2009, 02:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok, so just to make sure I got this: This is for Video ONLY. If we want Audio along with the video feed, we need to have Dension or AMI. Correct?
Old 09-01-2009, 02:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DirtyVegasTT
Ok, so just to make sure I got this: This is for Video ONLY. If we want Audio along with the video feed, we need to have Dension or AMI. Correct?
correct
Old 09-01-2009, 03:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

A few vendors also carry dedicated aux-in devices that work with the MOST fiber link:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/4-channel-Audi...d=p3286.c0.m14
Old 09-01-2009, 06:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

anybody know if there is a cable to hook up my blackberry tour up to the video input?
Old 09-02-2009, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by haha bye
anybody know if there is a cable to hook up my blackberry tour up to the video input?
no video output on the device, sorry
Old 09-02-2009, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by utripn
no video output on the device, sorry
Itouch or ipod classic does though.
Old 09-02-2009, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

gotcha...there must be another way to hook up an audi in cable to the audi system wihout blowing 500 bones on the dension gateway or AMI. I gonna hook up this video thing for mainly dvds and comp purposes and I dont own an ipod or itouch so it useless for me to have a dension 500 just for the audio.
Old 09-02-2009, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by haha bye
gotcha...there must be another way to hook up an audi in cable to the audi system wihout blowing 500 bones on the dension gateway or AMI. I gonna hook up this video thing for mainly dvds and comp purposes and I dont own an ipod or itouch so it useless for me to have a dension 500 just for the audio.
the best and cheapest way to get audio and video is to get the dension and then the nav video.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mikegilbert
A few vendors also carry dedicated aux-in devices that work with the MOST fiber link:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/4-channel-Audi...d=p3286.c0.m14
So is this a competing product to a Dension?

Quick Reply: Anybody want video for your A6 for cheap, see thread