A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

anyone experience same problem?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2005, 09:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone experience same problem?

just picked up my new car this past friday & noticed something was weird.had the car sitting in the cold for a few hours then went to start it,noticed charging system light(the one that looks like a battery on the speedometer)blinked a few times then went away then came back again.it seems like this always happen when i first start the car.i hope there is nothing wrong with my charging system,i checked the battery from the MMi and it shows 100%.

anyone else have this problem?
Old 01-30-2005, 10:01 AM
ajw
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: anyone experience same problem?

Yup. Seen the same problem of the battery icon flashing on quickly. I'm coming up on the 5000 mile serivce so I'll have it looked at then.
Old 01-30-2005, 01:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like a loose battery cable, bad generator or short. Most likely the loose cable.
Old 01-30-2005, 06:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My A4 has done this...

since I bought the car 2 1/2 years ago. It only happens when the weather is really cold and the car has sat for a while. Once the car gets warmed up, it goes away. The dealer was never able to reproduce the problem, mainly because the car was warmed up by the time I got there and I never got around to giving them the car overnight. I even shot video of the dashboard with the light flashing and showed it to the dealer, but since it didn't throw any codes, they couldn't do anything about it. I eventually learned to live with it since it only happens for 3-4 months a year.

I hope my new A6 which I am taking delivery of this week doesn't to the same thing.
Old 01-31-2005, 07:28 AM

Default Re: anyone experience same problem?

do you have advanced key?

My new A6 4.2 is in the shop right now because it failed to start intermittently. They're thinking that it has to do with the advanced key feature. When I say my new A6 I mean with like 600 miles on it.

My A4 loaner is cute, though. Just not the same. 1.8 vs. 4.2? ha!
Old 01-31-2005, 12:02 PM

Could be the 'BEM' (battery energy management control unit)
Old 01-31-2005, 03:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default If it's the "red" battery on the speedometer-not the yellow on the driver information display,

it's in the charging system, not the battery energy management control. My new 3.2 is doing the same thing... red light flickers for a couple minutes after start in cold weather. I do have advanced key and that may be an issue, but I don't think so. My question for the mechanics on this board is if it might be a slipping serpentine belt, tensioner in need of adjustment or (way out there idea), cold lubrication in the alternator-if it's oil cooled.
Old 01-31-2005, 08:09 PM

Default me too

I notice it at traffic light. Flashes on for a second, then off. Worse when it's cold. Have advanced key, but why would that have anything to do with it?
Old 02-01-2005, 10:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default The "red" battery icon shows whenever there's a

shortage in power generated vs. consumed. That's why it's ON when the car has not started and may flicker a bit while you're starting the car. Whenever the car is sucking the battery as opposed to charging it, the red light will be on.

My guess is that the car, being cold, is pulling more power than typical and/or the battery requires more power to get back to a fully charged state.

Does it ONLY happen on a first start? Does it happen if the car has been fully warmed and you start it again?
Old 02-01-2005, 11:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default It only happens on a cold start and flickers for a couple minutes.

When the car is started when warm, there is no light. I agree with what you're saying about charging vs discharging, except on a new car (less than 600 mi) the battery is new and shouldn't be depleted. I've also gone immediately to the battery level display on MMI and it shows 100%. I haven't noticed any electrical services shut down by the battery manager either.

This appears to be the same problem KeNny is having.

Quick Reply: anyone experience same problem?