A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Apple TV, Tech Mods and more in Audi A6

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Apple TV On/Off

I did this installation too (thanks for the inspiration) do you think all the power on / power off (I do 2-4 drives a day, some of them short) will have an impact on the AppleTV?
Old 12-29-2013, 04:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Carlos Sirias
I did this installation too (thanks for the inspiration) do you think all the power on / power off (I do 2-4 drives a day, some of them short) will have an impact on the AppleTV?
I routinely cycle between AppleTV, Roku, and sometime Chrome in the Audi. Most of my drives are short and with lots of on / off cycles. I've had NO issues with any of the equipment.
Old 01-02-2014, 01:20 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default I'm Next!

Hi all,

So after reading this thread like a hundred times, i decided to take the plunge and have ordered all the parts needed to fit in a Raspberry PI into my AUDI A6 mmi 3G HDD.

I have one question thought, what type of fuse to i need to add to the "add a fuse". I mean is there any particular AMP size that i required?

Thanks,
Old 01-02-2014, 01:39 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Power source

Originally Posted by Audiapple
That is because the most connection gets interrupted (as I'm sure you know) the top row is always on (I power my power convertor with ignition and power the audio/video mmi box that has the inputs through the always on) that way my AV source doesn't drain the battery but my radio can always be on after the key is off
Hi mate,

Going by the above logic, currently i can watch a DVD in my car with the ignition off and the key out. If i do this mod and add the XLINK in, does this mean that I can only watch DVD's and listen to the radio when the key is turned on?
Old 01-02-2014, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If anyone gets this working, toss XBMC in there and take a look at XBMChub.com with mashup and a couple other add ons youd never have to leave the car
Old 01-02-2014, 07:25 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thats the idea mate! Already have the PI already to go, just need to get a few questions answered!
Old 01-06-2014, 01:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by true_devil
Hi mate,

Going by the above logic, currently i can watch a DVD in my car with the ignition off and the key out. If i do this mod and add the XLINK in, does this mean that I can only watch DVD's and listen to the radio when the key is turned on?
Having just finished installing this I can confirm that the key would have to be on. Unless you tap the auxiliary wire to a constant on power source. although I'm'm not sure that would be wise.
My first xcarlink didn't work so i walked away from this project only to return to it over the last few weeks with a new one.

I have a raspberry pi with openelec ready to go(with mashup and much movies). waiting on a few parts to provide power to the pi and such. I also plan on fitting the reversing camera at some stage. I figured I might aswell make use out of the screen as its there!
Old 01-07-2014, 01:44 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by bazery
Having just finished installing this I can confirm that the key would have to be on. Unless you tap the auxiliary wire to a constant on power source. although I'm'm not sure that would be wise.
My first xcarlink didn't work so i walked away from this project only to return to it over the last few weeks with a new one.

I have a raspberry pi with openelec ready to go(with mashup and much movies). waiting on a few parts to provide power to the pi and such. I also plan on fitting the reversing camera at some stage. I figured I might aswell make use out of the screen as its there!

Thanks for the reply mate, I have also just finished installing this yesterday however my 5A fuse on the "add a fuse" keeps blowing. Which fuse did you take out to tap power from?

I used the ignition on row so i guess i have to live with turning the key so not a big deal. Ive also got a PI connected in, getting a FUSE at lunch and will post some pics and video to show the PI in action!

Thanks
Old 06-21-2014, 05:12 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Yes yes yes. Please give instructions. I've been trying to figure this out for month.

Originally Posted by Audiapple
Well, I am new here & a new Audi owner - I recently bought a 2010 Audi A6 Prestige (Ice Silver Metallic) - and being a tech savvy enthusiast I have been doing some mods (my last car was a 2005 Pontiac GTO (that had lots of tech mods).

I own a VAG-COM and have enabled A2DP bluetooth (using MMI hidden menu) over the stock AMI iPod cord (without having to use a modified cord thats acts like AUX (like many have done)) that allows for full media library interface over bluetooth with all iOS devices (using a bluetooth receiver on the stock AMI ipod cord) which is more accessibility than I've seen on most Audi forums - of course the basic other VAG COM mods have been enabled as well (Needle Sweep, Battery Meter, DRL always on, CD Rip, Video-in-motion, Convenience windows, etc)

But I am a media enthusiast and it couldn't stop there - and I like having a clean OEM dash - I wanted to enjoy my iOS media (including live TV (through my slingbox)) through my MMI - after much research I found a way to do it and if you are interested I can walk you through the process - I now have an Apple TV installed which allows me to mirror video and audio through the OEM MMI interface. With it anything my devices can do is now mirrored and able to be listened to through the beautiful BOSE and MMI (just by selecting it using MMI). Just before I go through explaining the whole process with pictures and more - I don't know anyone has any interest - so let me know and if your interested I will post the products needed, with some youtube and picture presentation.
Yes yes yes. Please give instructions. I've been trying to figure this out for month.
Old 01-13-2015, 04:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by true_devil
Thanks for the reply mate, I have also just finished installing this yesterday however my 5A fuse on the "add a fuse" keeps blowing. Which fuse did you take out to tap power from?

I used the ignition on row so i guess i have to live with turning the key so not a big deal. Ive also got a PI connected in, getting a FUSE at lunch and will post some pics and video to show the PI in action!

Thanks
anything further on this front? I just ordered all the parts to do the same install.

Quick Reply: Apple TV, Tech Mods and more in Audi A6