A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

APR Tuning for C6 S6 - Review

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 06:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice. Its there, proven to produce HP, and def noticeable... that's good enough for me. See if you can spot a dyno in your area sometime and toss her on to see the numbers. I'd like to see other dyno pulls on 93.
Old 02-13-2010, 04:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well done dvtt!

As you know, I had been holding out for this APR tune. I however had just traded my S6 two days before I got a call from APR.

I bought that S6 new at retail and it wasn't worth it for me to drop large $$$ into developmental superchargers ect to get the performance that I thought the car to have hidden within it.

Perhaps in time, PES or someone will develop an 8k supercharger to make this car melt all four tires in a pull-away. It is a bit funny to me that my tow vehicle (for motorcycles), a Toyota Sequoia has an available TRD supercharger for about 6k. I may do it as it is factory warranted. Totally odd having a 6000lb truck doing sub 5 sec 0-60s. I wish that i could get a factory approved supercharger for my 4.2 A8l.

Glad you are happy with the tune. I had thought that apr would make a good product because the owner has an s6.
Old 02-13-2010, 01:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

How do you like your transition from the S6 to A8?
Old 03-22-2010, 10:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by DirtyVegasTT
Nice. Its there, proven to produce HP, and def noticeable... that's good enough for me. See if you can spot a dyno in your area sometime and toss her on to see the numbers. I'd like to see other dyno pulls on 93.
DVTT and Derrick,

Now that you both have a couple of additional weeks spent with the APR tune, do either of you have any changes in your initial impressions? Would you still recommend the tune? Any issues? Thanks!
Old 03-22-2010, 04:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

The numbers I posted show the gains. The impressions will change over time, but the graphs will not. I think the tune provides good gains and is worth the investment.
Old 03-22-2010, 05:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

DVTT, did those sport springs soften the ride any?
Old 03-23-2010, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Believe it or not they actaully have! The car is lower and rode softer, but it is a bit more bouncy than stock. My ride is rough again since I put the 20" wheels with 30 height tires on.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Good review. I just found an APR dealer starting up in my area and am going get an APR reflash. Oddly enough, I hooked up my BT ODB-II reader to ProScan last night and found that I was not able to read the ECU number. Any advise on what I might have missed out?
Old 07-06-2015, 09:46 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default APR ECU upgrade for 2007 S6

[See my comments/questions at the bottom.]
Originally Posted by derrick_lui
So today I went to another APR dealer and got the tune.
The dealer logged onto his computer and entered my information and hooked the car up. For some reason my ECU was only able to take 1 tune (as opposed to 4 tunes/settings), my ECU was also unable to take the add'l software like security lockout, reset engine light...etc. My dealer immediately called APR customer techline, they told him that those ECUs that cant take add'l tunes haven't been "cracked" yet and software updates should be available in the future. Fair enough, my dealer noted on the APR application that I should be entitled to more software tunes when they become available for my ECU.

The tune took around 25 mins to load onto the car. After that the dealer hooked my car up with a VAG COM to see if there were any fault codes and erased any that were present.

Here are some pic:

Fast forward to pulling off the lot...
The car immediately felt more responsive although I would say Sport mode would have done the trick. There seemed to be more power at low-mid RPM when I was driving local. When I hit the highway, again... between 2.5k-3.5k RPM, the car noticeably pulled harder. Overtaking cars never felt easier without needing to floor the car. When I had the chance to floor the car, the car did pull harder at high RPMs too.

Coming from a Mercedes SL600 (Turbo tuned) and E55 (pulley tuned), the APR tune on the S6 did not achieve "blow your socks off" gains in my opinion. But dont get me wrong, this was well expected. Overall I would say this is a solid tune for a NA car and I am happy with the felt gains. However I still think that $799 for this tune might be a little bit overpriced, but I am sure the price tag was determined because the car is a S6.
So I have read through this and other material and will probably get the upgrade this week. My '07 S6 has 52k miles and I will probably keep it forever, drive it once/twice/week. Just checking in to see whether folks have run into any long-term issues with the APR Stage 1 ECU 93 octane upgrade. I don't drive super aggressive but have noticed, as have others, that the car lacks some punch in the lower RPMs and it looks like this chip upgrade will address that. any other thoughts folks have for or against it would be appreciated...
Old 07-18-2015, 01:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I HIGHLY recommend you wait for a new v10 S6 tune that is soon to be released. It will be fully tested on my car in the next couple months before wider release. The same Tuner who does all the JHM NA tunes is doing this one.

You can check out my project thread on AudiRevolution...
the v10 s6 project

BTW, most of the v10 S6 guys hang out over there, so I would advise you join the site if you want to learn more about your car, and get the absolute latest on performance developments.