A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Audi A6 3.0 Tdi: share your impressions

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2005, 07:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi A6 3.0 Tdi: share your impressions

Hello everyone

I'm strongly considering to get an Audi A6 3.0 Tdi Quattro (Italy). Is there anyone here that could share their impressions on this car, engine and transmission?

Thanks
Old 11-13-2005, 08:15 AM

Default Re: Audi A6 3.0 Tdi: share your impressions

Hi Alessandro,
I've had mine since august 2004 and no complaints whatsoever!! excellent combination of power,economy and sheer luxury! engine is sweet and torquey, grip is fantastic and when pushed it responds positively and sure footed. sometimes you just forget that you're driving such a large car because it handles like a sports car with acceleration to match. I had an UR quattro some years ago and this is the first Audi i've owned since then that has given me the 'Smile' factor! I had test driven the A8 4.0 Tdi before i bought this, and alhough it was a lovely car to look at on the exterior, I felt that the interior looked inferior to the A6. So if you want a car to thrill you as well as look like the executive about town this is for you! They will have to prise my cold dead fingers from the steering wheel to get me to part with it! Good luck!!
Andy
Old 11-14-2005, 12:39 AM

Alessandro
I think it's a peach of a diesel engine. The 3.0 TDi has similar performance to the 3.2 in terms of acceleration/speed but has more torque than the 4.2, so arguably is more useful for in-gear acceleration. The tiptronic box complements the engine perfectly - keeping you in the right rev-range (low) to exploit the juicy torque. It responds instantly in Sport mode but can be a bit slow downshifting in D. That's where the paddle shifts come in handy - one or two clicks on the left paddle will send you hurtling towards the horizon (exageration, but quick anyhow!). Like all diesels there's a bit of 'clatter' when the engine is cold but it soon settles and you can't tell its a diesel anymore. My car has done 6,500 Kms and on average I fill with 65-70 litres after about 830 Kms of mixed driving. It's used 500 ml oil so far. When you take into account all the other positive attributes of the A6, plus Quattro - it's a great car!
Bill
P.S. Apologies to the US for coming over all 'metric'. I can assure you its not a Communist plot, just a simpler way of counting. In the UK we're not one thing or the other. For example, we buy our fuel in litres (liters) but then calculate consumption in mpg. Then our gallon isn't the same as yours. We call our measurement system 'Imperial' - you call it 'English'. Two nations divided by a common language? Vivre la difference!
Old 11-15-2005, 08:05 AM

I with both the previous posters - this is the best diesel around by a long chalk. Creamy, smooth and I've driven people for a 100 miles without them spotting it was a diesel! I even test drove the 3.2FSI back to back with the TDI and thought that was less refined than the diesel (and needed much more work due to less torque).

The tiptronic box is superb and much better than the tiptronic I had in my 2003 A6 3.0 which tended to get caught between ratios - the six speed is (predictably) much better. However, as aviationaudi mentioned, sometimes D is just a little too sluggish (pulling out of a side raod into relatively fast flowing traffic, for example) - using S here is ideal, but around town is a little to "sharp" for my tastes - there the D setting is perfect and relaxed.

All in all an excellent choice. I used to drive a 4.4 V8 BMW X5 and this is a much better engine, transmission ... everything!
Old 11-15-2005, 11:34 AM

Had mine since May '05 - enjoy every mile whatever the conditions. Stunning engine/gearbox for cruising, put auto box into 'Sport' and you get a whole new experience. You will not regret owning one of these
Old 11-16-2005, 02:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hello everyone

Thanks for your answers, I really appreciated them. I will look forward to drive this car, and when I do, I'll try to take some time to share my own impressions.

Thanks again,
Alessandro