A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Audi A6 C6 3.2 Quattro Light Problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2021, 06:06 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi A6 C6 3.2 Quattro Light Problems

Ok I just got a 2008 Audi A6 from a BMW dealership. I've had the car for around a month and I'm driving around and out of no where it says the break light has gone out so I figured it must be the bulb. So I drive home and park the car and go out 10 minutes later and the break light is now working again
after some more driving the break light goes out again and this time I figured out the right turn signal is flashing quickly when both signals are working fine. I then park the car and in 5 minues the brakes are back working and the right turn signal (same side as my brake light thats going out) is working fine again also. This has happened to me again today and I'm wondering if anyone knows what's going on? it's the top red bulbs that are going out on the right side.

My questions are-

1.Do you have any idea what would be causing this problem (My guess was corrosion and it needed to be cleaned which I haven't got a chance to check yet but not so sure how that relates to the signal light)

2. Is the back brake lights connected to the signal lights in anyway?

3. Off topic question I also think I might have a leak in my exhaust is there any sure fire ways to tell without lifting the car? (Engine is loud, Sounds loud when I drive, No smell of gas) This could all be my imagination but if there was a leak wouldnt
the car tell you or at least the check engine let would come on?

Thanks for all your help in advanced I am new to European cars.
Old 09-22-2021, 11:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 200 Likes on 177 Posts

Your car is a C6 Platform version of the A6 suggest you repost in that part of the forum as this section is for the Allroad version of the current (C8) platform
Old 09-23-2021, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thank you will do! I'm not sure how to delete threads so I hope a mod can delete this. Thanks again!
Old 09-23-2021, 10:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 175 Likes on 154 Posts

Welcome to the Audi world. For starters, do you have a sedan or an Avant (wagon)? If you have a sedan, which engine do you have - 3.2L V6 or 4.2L V8? Is the break light you are having the center brake light or one of the taillights? Without more information for your '08 A6, it will be difficult to provide you with suggested fixes.
Old 09-23-2021, 12:17 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thank you for the welcome. The car is a 3.2 L V6 its a Sedan and the break lights are on the tail lights on the very top the red lights very (hard to explain but its the lights on the very top of the tail lights they are red and when you lock the car they are the lights that will flash)
Old 09-23-2021, 02:01 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Danyul
Thank you for the welcome. The car is a 3.2 L V6 its a Sedan and the break lights are on the tail lights on the very top the red lights very (hard to explain but its the lights on the very top of the tail lights they are red and when you lock the car they are the lights that will flash)
Extremely sorry for the double post but I am stupid its the right tail light that is going out and when this light goes out the right blinker starts blinking very fast (Like one of the blinkers are about to go) I'm curious if these are connected somehow I'm assuming they are because why else would they both fail at the same time as well as fix at the same time. if I leave the car off for 5 minutes they will both be working again. I have advanced key and also use a FM transmitter I always unplug the FM transmitter when I'm parked and with the advanced key I usually just do the push to start but also tried with the key in the ignition and it fails either way. I can be driving for 30 minutes and the break light will go out or it can happen in 5 minutes of driving,
Old 09-24-2021, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

I would start by removing the taillight and separating the lens. Inside you will find contacts (springy, metal "fingers"). These contacts should be cleaned with 320-600 grit sandpaper and then bent out slightly to improve their contact force. Also the pads that they contact should also be cleaned with the 600 grit paper. I am assuming you have the LED brake lights as I do but I would assume incandescent type tails are similar.
The following users liked this post:
Danyul (09-25-2021)
Old 09-24-2021, 09:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 402 Likes on 333 Posts

About the tail light, it is a common and known issue. Don't waste time trying to fix it. The problematic part is the LED strip inside the housing. This happened first to my driver's side. After a lot of forum posts, troubleshooting, opening, cleaning, rewiring, etc. I ended up having to replace the whole housing. The passenger's side also failed a few years later. This time, I did not waste time and energy. I just went ahead and replaced it too. So far so good. Check out the video below.

About the loud exhaust, you may have a clogged catalytic converter. Check out the video below.
​​​​​​​https://youtu.be/SDQ9-lrMemI
The following 2 users liked this post by kelisko:
Danyul (09-25-2021), uberwgn (09-25-2021)
Old 09-25-2021, 09:13 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by kelisko
About the tail light, it is a common and known issue. Don't waste time trying to fix it. The problematic part is the LED strip inside the housing. This happened first to my driver's side. After a lot of forum posts, troubleshooting, opening, cleaning, rewiring, etc. I ended up having to replace the whole housing. The passenger's side also failed a few years later. This time, I did not waste time and energy. I just went ahead and replaced it too. So far so good. Check out the video below.

https://youtu.be/TUDifdcA8jk

About the loud exhaust, you may have a clogged catalytic converter. Check out the video below.

https://youtu.be/SDQ9-lrMemI

Thank you so much for the reply. I eneded up bringing the car to a trusted mechanic and he bassically told me the same thing about the light. Which I can do myself. As for the loud noise apparently one of my Cadillac Converters has a hole in it and he said it needs to be replaced completely he also said my other Converter was on it way and very likely to break soon and it would be best to do both at once he said cost of labor and parts would be a total of 3800$ thats not including tax. Im sure I can do it myself if I have a lift but rather than chancing it I guess I'm going to have to pay the 4gs to get them done. If any of this sounds wrong to you please let me know.
Old 09-25-2021, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 402 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by Danyul
Thank you so much for the reply. I eneded up bringing the car to a trusted mechanic and he bassically told me the same thing about the light. Which I can do myself. As for the loud noise apparently one of my Cadillac Converters has a hole in it and he said it needs to be replaced completely he also said my other Converter was on it way and very likely to break soon and it would be best to do both at once he said cost of labor and parts would be a total of 3800$ thats not including tax. Im sure I can do it myself if I have a lift but rather than chancing it I guess I'm going to have to pay the 4gs to get them done. If any of this sounds wrong to you please let me know.
If you can afford the cost, I would advise you to go ahead and have it done as soon as possible. Clogged catalytic converters will cause many other parts to fail on your car. It will accelerate gaskets failure and oil leaks which can cause irreversible engine damage. It will also cause overheating and will fool your emissions control systems. It will end up in a disaster.

Note that the converters are clogged because of bad maintenance so to avoid it from happening again you need to make sure the air intake is properly secured and the air filter is regularly replaced. Replacing the converters may require soldering and adaptation so let the professional and experienced guy do it for you.

Quick Reply: Audi A6 C6 3.2 Quattro Light Problems