A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Audi Care Plus

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 04:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi Care Plus

Howdy, well, I got an email from my dealership today saying it's time for my 55,000 mile service. First off, HOW THE HECK DO THEY KNOW?!?! Is there some kind of telemetry on these things? Secondly, The car was Certified when I bought it and came with Audi Care but all the next service intervals are "on me". So, is Audi Care Plus worth it or should I just pay for the service intervals outright each time one comes up?

THANKS!!
Old 01-30-2013, 07:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

They scan your key fob when you come to them and each key carries cars info, to include mileage. Most likely it was a rough estimate on their part. I paid out the a** for (i believe 35k service) a while back, then 45 was "cheap" and 55 is huge (around $900). I would not say this is the most ethical thing to do, but i went to indy shop for oil change, got a stamp for service record and the check up and did the rest (as its simple with help of this forum) of the service myself. I love this car (may be more than my significant other and did a very careful service on it. No shop will do a better job than yourself simply because it is all about Benjamins at the end.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Haha I get those too and they are always eerily accurate.

I guess it depends on what your dealer charges vs what the audi care costs. I see lots of horror stories on here (like $900 55k guy above me). Some dealers charge much less. I paid less than $400, and they did do everything for 55k.

Now I do most of it myself. Stuff like filters and plugs are easier than they look, and with a little $20 pump to suck out the oil rather than drain it that's easy too.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

It is not unethical to perform your own service, nor is it unethical to have a mechanic other than the dealership perform the service.

What is unethical is the dealer trying to deny a warranty claim based on the fact that you did not take it to them for service. As long as the service is performed properly, then the warranty should be honored. Your only obligation per the warranty contract is to perform the recommended service, but not necessarily at the dealership.

They try to scare you into going to the dealership and pay their exorbitant fees by threatening you with the warranty. That, in my mind, is extremely unethical.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by audia6s
They scan your key fob when you come to them and each key carries cars info, to include mileage. Most likely it was a rough estimate on their part. I paid out the a** for (i believe 35k service) a while back, then 45 was "cheap" and 55 is huge (around $900). I would not say this is the most ethical thing to do, but i went to indy shop for oil change, got a stamp for service record and the check up and did the rest (as its simple with help of this forum) of the service myself. I love this car (may be more than my significant other and did a very careful service on it. No shop will do a better job than yourself simply because it is all about Benjamins at the end.
What's not ethical about what you're doing??? I do the very same thing myself. I perform most of the maintenance myself and only take it in for warranty repairs or a simple oil change. The only reason why I take it for an oil change is so that my CarFax will show that the vehicle has been maintained on a regular basis.

The dealers cringe a lot when I tell them I just want the oil change.

For the OP, you should check out the sticky on this forum and figure out what you feel comfortable performing. For instance, if you don't feel like changing the fuel filter, you can take it to the dealer and only ask for specific work rather than signing up for the entire service maintenance.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Rumjahn
It is not unethical to perform your own service, nor is it unethical to have a mechanic other than the dealership perform the service.

What is unethical is the dealer trying to deny a warranty claim based on the fact that you did not take it to them for service. As long as the service is performed properly, then the warranty should be honored. Your only obligation per the warranty contract is to perform the recommended service, but not necessarily at the dealership.

They try to scare you into going to the dealership and pay their exorbitant fees by threatening you with the warranty. That, in my mind, is extremely unethical.
Yes, what an as*holes. I took my car to the dealer before it hit 50k and the warranty ran out. I now do everything myself.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by audia6s
Yes, what an as*holes. I took my car to the dealer before it hit 50k and the warranty ran out. I now do everything myself.
Curious, what do you mean by "do everything myself"? Like go under the car to change your oil?
Old 02-01-2013, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yeah, I was told by a very honest service department employee that the most important thing in regard to keeping the CPO valid is Oil Changes, they want to see that the oil changes have been performed. Still makes me nervous though not doing the other "requirements" outlined in the service and still being covered WHEN something goes wrong. I'm not super comfortable performing much on these cars, seems like you need a VAG-COM just to replace the wiper fluid.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DudeDah
seems like you need a VAG-COM just to replace the wiper fluid.
SHHH! Don't give Audi any ideas !
Old 02-04-2013, 04:20 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I'm a audi tech and audi care is worth it, if you plan on keeping the car, as a tech it's bad because it pays you half of what customer pay would give you. A 55k for $900 actually seems cheap, I did a q5 3.2l and it was around $1200. As for dealers not honoring a warranty because you don't have it serviced there is ridiculous, if it does happen its almost criminal. We have people everyday who come it for a warranty job and its there first time, but repeated customers do get breaks

Quick Reply: Audi Care Plus