A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Audi Missed Recall On A6 Leads To Fire

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 09:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi Missed Recall On A6 Leads To Fire

Beware Audi 1999 A6 Owners: On May 2nd My Car Was Scheudled For Service. I Indicated To The Audi Service Department That My Car Had A Very Strong Penetrating Sulfur Smell Coming From The Inside W/wo The Ac On. I Received The Car Back On May 9th. A Week Later On May 16 The Car Caught Fire While Driving And I Barely Made It Out Of The Car. I Watched The Car Burn Completely. Some Days Later I Found Out That There Was A Recall Initiated In July 2004. The Service Department For Audi Missed The Recall. I Had Never Taken The Car Anywhere Else Since It Was Purchased. How Could This Have Happened? In Good Faith I Contacted Audi Regarding This Matter And Requsted A Replacement Of My Vehcile. A Fair Request For Having Put My Life In Danger. At First, They Stated They Had Performed The Recall. After Further Review They Accepted The Liability. My Life Was Placed In Danger Due To Audi's Negligence. The Way This Has Been Handled Is Unprofessional And Completely Unacceptable. I've Advised All My Friends And Families Of Audi's Bad Business Practice. They Are In Shock Over This. I Have Been An Advocate Of Audi Now For Almost Eight Years But After This Its Clear That The Manufacturer And Its Agents That Handles These Type Of Situations Are Conducting Bad Business Ethics. Please Be Aware Of All Recalls In Particular To Those That Have To Do With The Electrical System. This Is A True Story. I Tried To Resolve This With Audi Directly But Unfortunately It Has Come To Taking This To The Next Level. I warn all Audi drivers to review the recalls for the Audi 1999 A6. I was a loyal and dedicated Audi owner who serviced the car three-four times a year since I purchased back in 1999. The way this situation was handled has made it very difficult for me to consider another Audi.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:50 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Welcome to Audiworld! Oddly enough, this forum is for A6 '05 and up,

and we have experienced no light switch recalls that I am aware of;-)

Secondly, if you frequent the C5 forums <b>for cars '98 thru '04</b>, you will find that several recalls have been made on some vin # ranges some years ago. As the owner of an older car (let's see, you have an 8 year old car), I would hope that you would proactively seek out known trouble spots (very well documented on the C5 forum and in the forum FAQ). People have photographed the so-called recall repairs, and possible failure modes.

Personally I think your beef needs to be with the dealer, because if done correctly, the recall goes a long way to eliminating the potential problem. You even mentioned a smell to the dealer (not sure burning plastic smells like sulphur, but I won't debate that). It's not that hard to pull off the panel and check. Miles, rough roads, age, time, all mean that at some point the manufacturer's responsibility decreases over time. Again, you seem unfamiliar with the C5 forum, which has discussed this at length repeatedly. Use the search function or visit the forum FAQ in the link under my sig for more information on your problem. I hope you will find something that helps, and perhaps gives you some leverage with the dealer.

BTW, You can thank the US government safety tests, which required an additional support beam be added at the last minute where none was installed in the first place during design and testing, and which can chafe the wiring harness.

Finally, writing in all caps not only makes reading messages slow and difficult, but it's the same as shouting at the top of your lungs and considered rude unless done selectively.
Old 06-06-2007, 11:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default This is your first post???? Why did you not post here or C5 forum b4 to get some guidence.....

with the sulfur smell that you were experiencing?
Old 06-06-2007, 11:58 AM

Default Re: This is your first post???? Why did you not post here or C5 forum b4 to get some guidence.....

I always relied on the dealer's opinion to make the needed repairs to the vehicle. That is my point. Trust that if I knew someone could help me avoid a fire in the vehicle I would've gladly asked for help.
Old 06-06-2007, 12:02 PM

Default Re: Welcome to Audiworld! Oddly enough, this forum is for A6 '05 and up,

Thank you for your response. I am writing in small caps. I am unfamiliar and that is why I've reached out. Here are the facts: The car was serviced regularly and I always made the recommendations. The fact is the dealer missed the recall. The recall should've been in the system and the fact that the car was in for service almost a dozen times without having addressing it is an issue.
Old 06-06-2007, 12:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 174 Likes on 153 Posts
Default If you were the original owner, you would have recieved an official letter from AoA for...

this recall and well as any others. From your write-up, it appears you did not receive official recall notification. Did you move or relocate w/o notifying AoA of change of address? If so, you are partially to blame for not having your A6 fixed per the recall.
Old 06-06-2007, 12:09 PM

Default Re: If you were the original owner, you would have recieved an official letter from AoA for...

No, I never received a recall letter. The recall is put into the system at the service department as was the case in another recall for my car. If you read carefully I brought the car in for service a two weeks before the fire. They kept the car for one week to make the repairs to everything except the issue regarding the burning sulfur smell. So there are two issues: one is the fact that the recall hadn't been performed since 2004 and the other is the fact they they missed it on its last service. Cars aren't suppose to catch on fire. So the arguement on whether a letter was received is irrelevant to the fact that my car caught on fire. There is clear negligence here on Audi's part. As a consumer and loyal customer to Audi who took the car in for service the position that Audi has taken is unprofessional.
Old 06-06-2007, 12:14 PM
Cat Herder

edit the subject with 'C5' or mark it OT, but this has no business being in this forum.
Old 06-06-2007, 12:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default as April says, this has been discussed on the C5 forum......

as much as your problem is irritating, you need to discuss this with your dealer &amp; insurance company. AoA is going to say it is a dealer issue.
Old 06-06-2007, 12:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The recalls regarding fires are not related to anything except in an accident. Are you sure the

recall you spoke of is related to what you experienced? Additionally, I don't understand how the manufacturer is at fault in this case. Yes they made the vehicle, but in real world situations issues like this do surface and Audi issued a recall. It's the dealers responsibility to perform all campains on affected vehicles. So thrashing Audi is not helping your cause on this board. I understand your frustration, but seeking to inform what I would call "fans of Audi" with remarks such as you displayed is not going to win you any favors here.

Quick Reply: Audi Missed Recall On A6 Leads To Fire