A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Is Audi resposible for my blown engine? HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 03:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is Audi resposible for my blown engine? HELP!

I boough my 2005 Audi A6 brand new and have brought it to the dealer for all scheduled and unschedueled Maintance from day 1. I had just brought the car to Beiner Audi in New york late January for and Oil change and Maintance with 75000 miles.
I have NEVER had a problem or even the Check engine light come on. I drove the car to work(32 mile drive) without any problem. When I left work and started the car it was running extemely rough, but able to make it home. On this occassion I did bring it to a local reputable independent shop because Audi did not have an appointment available until the following week. The Independent shop informed me that the ignition coils were bad and had to be relaced, which I authorized them to repair. I later found out that the ignition coils were recalled by Audiusa, but I was not yet informed of the recall. The local shop still could not get the car to run and told me that the issue was something that would be better dealt with at the Audi dealership. I hd the car transported to Beiner Audi, where they informed me I needed a new engine!

The car is out of warranty, but I have had all the maintance done by Audi. Would Audi be responsible being that I JUST had the vehicle in there shop for an Oil and maintance the prior month.

As well as the fact that I was never notified of the ignition coil recall. Could the recall be the reason for the engine failure? If I had been notifed of this recall in a timely fashion, I feel this would have not occured Has anyone else had this problem?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks
Mac
Old 03-10-2010, 03:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default tough situation

Sorry you are in this tough situation. First things first, you should find out from the audi dealer WHY exactly you need a new engine and report back here with what they say. Simply saying "you need a new engine" is not acceptable diagnosis.
Old 03-10-2010, 03:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by BVegas
Sorry you are in this tough situation. First things first, you should find out from the audi dealer WHY exactly you need a new engine and report back here with what they say. Simply saying "you need a new engine" is not acceptable diagnosis.
I brought these issues up to the "Service Advisor" who said that he's going to talk with the Service Manager, who will not be in till friday, and they will se if they can work something out? But when I do have the exact diagnosis on friday, I'll be sure to post it. Thanks
Old 03-10-2010, 05:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ignition coild failure would not result in a blown engine. How long after your last service did you have the problem? If you drove it 32 mile from your last service at an Audi dealership, I would think they had culpability here. How could you have you car in for service with no issues, then 32 miles later need a new engine? You may need to get AOA involved.
Old 03-10-2010, 07:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by spence341
Ignition coild failure would not result in a blown engine. How long after your last service did you have the problem? If you drove it 32 mile from your last service at an Audi dealership, I would think they had culpability here. How could you have you car in for service with no issues, then 32 miles later need a new engine? You may need to get AOA involved.
Maybe I didnt translate it correctly. I had it in for service at about 75000 in late january, 2010. I put about 1000-1500 miles on the vehicle and then the engine failure happened the morning of march 1,2010. The car ran PERFECTLY up to the point. I drove to work without any issue, parked, did 10 hours, walked to my car to head home. A s soon as I turned the ignition, is when it started running horrible. Beleive it or not it went from one extreme to another without ANY warning. I just thought that MAYBE the failed ignition coil could have caused some sort of "domino" effect that quickly caused other issues that lead to the failure.
Old 03-11-2010, 02:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 925 Likes on 757 Posts

Did you drive 32 miles with the car running so bad? Was the engine light on? If so, was it flashing?
Old 03-11-2010, 02:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by KevinGary
Did you drive 32 miles with the car running so bad? Was the engine light on? If so, was it flashing?
I did drive it home, 32 miles while it was running bad. The engine light did come on at this point, If I remeber correctly the engine light was blinking.
Old 03-11-2010, 03:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like the ignition coils were bad when you drove it, the letter about the recall said that you could drive the car but it would be rough and have reduced power.
I can't imagine this would ruin your engine. I would ask the dealer for a detailed explination on what the problem is. You may need to contact AOA but you need all the facts before calling.
Old 03-11-2010, 04:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Sorry to hear your misfortune, but you are not suppose to drive the car with the engine like blinking, I just hope the damage is not cause by doing that.
Old 03-11-2010, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
Sorry to hear your misfortune, but you are not suppose to drive the car with the engine like blinking, I just hope the damage is not cause by doing that.
Ditto on the blinking. They have always told me that if it is solid, make an appointment and get it in when I could. If it is flashing, pull over, shut it off and have it towed.

Quick Reply: Is Audi resposible for my blown engine? HELP!