A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Automatic Car Wash: Is it bad?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 09:29 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JBDinTX
Ok my parents own a two bay self serve car wash. We stock it with the finest products available. For instance the soap cost $300+ for 25 gallon. I feel a hand wand high pressure is necessary when the car is muddy to clean off the heavy sand/mud. I always spray off the heavy stuff then hand wash. I never use the brush even though the are boars hair. And I use spot free even though I full dry. I would never take my car to the soft touch/ brush auto car wash.
I totally agree! I have a 2011 A6 in Black Phantom Pearl, I will never take my car to a auto car wash with brushes or anything that touches the car...strickly high power jets and the dryer.

I recommend buying Griot microfiber towels online they are the best. The ones you buy at Autozone or Oreilly's are cheap and will also scuff up your car. Everything is more exagerated on a black car so it may not be as big of a deal if you have a white car but I've seen what car washes that use "top of the line" towels scratch the hell out of the paint.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 924 Likes on 756 Posts

I try to stick to hand washing the car in my driveway.
Old 11-24-2012, 06:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2011A6Rider
I totally agree! I have a 2011 A6 in Black Phantom Pearl, I will never take my car to a auto car wash with brushes or anything that touches the car...strickly high power jets and the dryer.

I recommend buying Griot microfiber towels online they are the best. The ones you buy at Autozone or Oreilly's are cheap and will also scuff up your car. Everything is more exagerated on a black car so it may not be as big of a deal if you have a white car but I've seen what car washes that use "top of the line" towels scratch the hell out of the paint.
The best way to tell the quality of microfiber towels is too take a CD(one you don't like)and on the back of the CD,take the mic.towel with your finger and rub hard on the surface. If there are scratches on the CD, it will also scratch your car.
Old 09-06-2022, 05:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

My kids lived in apartments for a couple years and used my method: Optimum No Rinse. There are several threads on this forum where I and others have posted.

Briefly, a 5 gallon bucket with 2 gallons of water with a capful of ONR, with good microfiber --- and you can wash your car in 20 minutes without having a hose.

My son's car is Daytona Grey and there are no scratches.
Old 09-06-2022, 06:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 166 Likes on 147 Posts

Ive lost my front tow eye cover in an auto wash before.

95% of the time I just wash it in my driveway with only water and some rags. (I don't want to use any soap because the water runs into the area where my chickens live)
Old 09-07-2022, 02:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 924 Likes on 756 Posts

I bring my car to my local detailer every Saturday morning for a hand wash. It takes about 50 minutes. It is across the street from a Starbucks and I read the paper with my cappuccino while I wait. The car looks great and doesn’t have any swirls you get from the typical car wash
Old 09-07-2022, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Happy to see this thread alive. The two really easy/stupid questions I have:

1. Is the soap in these $10 car waxes specially made to not harm car wax, and is it not a normal detergent (that most know is harmful)?
2. Is any wax added in the last stage of washing so that you don't need to re-apply wax on it?
Old 09-08-2022, 07:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by jasontaylor7
Happy to see this thread alive. The two really easy/stupid questions I have:

1. Is the soap in these $10 car waxes specially made to not harm car wax, and is it not a normal detergent (that most know is harmful)?
2. Is any wax added in the last stage of washing so that you don't need to re-apply wax on it?
HAND WASH YOUR CAR!!!!! As mentioned above, Opti No Rinse a big yellow sponge and a couple of thirsty high quality micro fiber towels and you are good to gol
https://www.opticoat.com/product/opt...o-rinse-16-oz/ will wash your car many times.
Amazon Amazon
will last many years
Look at the Rag company for towels, there are too many choices.
The following users liked this post:
jasontaylor7 (09-08-2022)
Old 10-01-2022, 12:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I’ve used “No-Touch” thru the years in the winter on my A6. It’s still looks good after all these years. Never went thru the brush and scrubs with it. My S7 has Modesta BC-04 and it indicates never go thru auto washes.
The following users liked this post:
jasontaylor7 (10-01-2022)
Old 10-08-2022, 05:23 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

That really is a lot of washing; likely to result in damage to the paint, micro abrasion.

Quick Reply: Automatic Car Wash: Is it bad?