A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Battery died, now MMI does not turn on

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 12:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Battery died, now MMI does not turn on

2005 4.2 S-Line

My car has been sitting at the shop for about a month, give or take.. The battery was dead when I tried starting it, so we charged up the battery, car started fine but the MMI screen will not turn on. We ended up putting a brand new battery in and still the same issue. Everything was a 100% working before we took the oil cooler off to change 2 O-rings. The threads that I've read point to an optical/control head issue... but again everything was working fine before the battery died. Anyone ever encounter this? Or know of a remedy?
Old 02-28-2017, 10:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 202 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Nightlifephantom
2005 4.2 S-Line

My car has been sitting at the shop for about a month, give or take.. The battery was dead when I tried starting it, so we charged up the battery, car started fine but the MMI screen will not turn on. We ended up putting a brand new battery in and still the same issue. Everything was a 100% working before we took the oil cooler off to change 2 O-rings. The threads that I've read point to an optical/control head issue... but again everything was working fine before the battery died. Anyone ever encounter this? Or know of a remedy?
Most likely when you jump started the car you blew a fuse which caused the MMI to become inoperable. Check the passenger side fuse panel right on the side panel and you'll see a fuse related to radio/MMI function. That's where I would start and also run a VCDS to see if there aren't any other things going on.
Old 02-28-2017, 10:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by raj99
Most likely when you jump started the car you blew a fuse which caused the MMI to become inoperable. Check the passenger side fuse panel right on the side panel and you'll see a fuse related to radio/MMI function. That's where I would start and also run a VCDS to see if there aren't any other things going on.
Running a scan was one of the first things I did as well as MMI 3 button force restart. A ton of stuff was outlined in red and stated malfunction... actually the majority of everything was. Seems like everything related/tied to the MMI failed. I ran a optical bus diagnostic as well.. had a couple of errors... Control head, Navigation, radio and a few others. Can't actually post the full scan at the moment. But seems very weird, was curious if anyone else encountered this.

You don't think modified headlights would have anything to do with this, right?

After extensive searching, I realized that you had a similar problem a while back:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...2873702/page2/

My aim later today will be checking all fuses again and going from there.

Last edited by Nightlifephantom; 03-01-2017 at 02:17 AM.
The following users liked this post:
audigwirl (09-28-2023)
Old 03-01-2017, 07:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Ok. How do I code the battery? I know how to do it through VDCS but the brand of the battery is AutoStart. I don't see it as an option in the list. Anyone know how I go about this?
Old 03-01-2017, 08:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Ok. How do I code the battery? I know how to do it through VDCS but the brand of the battery is AutoStart. I don't see it as an option in the list. Anyone know how I go about this?
Sometimes you can get by with changing 1 character in the serial number and it'll suffice:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...cment-2879428/

Battery Replacement - Ross-Tech Wiki
Old 03-01-2017, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Ok, still the same issue. No power to MMI at all and a bunch of red highlighted modules in VDCS.
Old 03-01-2017, 09:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Ok, still the same issue. No power to MMI at all and a bunch of red highlighted modules in VDCS.
Did you thoroughly check ALL fuses? Do you have a fuse tester?

BTW, what do you mean by modified headlights?
Old 03-01-2017, 10:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by raj99
Did you thoroughly check ALL fuses? Do you have a fuse tester?

BTW, what do you mean by modified headlights?
Started raining here, going to wait for it to stop to go back out.

By modified headlights, I removed the AFS unit internal/external from the right stock headlight, the left headlight was replaced recently by previous owner with no AFS, and I also added a DRL LED strip to both headlights
Old 03-01-2017, 12:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Good news. I fixed the issue. The shop checked the fuses with a tester, I did the same after I got home, then after it rained I decided to check them all one bu one y pulling them out. Sure enough, it was the same exact fuse as in your previous thread that I posted. Communication Fuse.
Old 03-01-2017, 01:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Good news. I fixed the issue. The shop checked the fuses with a tester, I did the same after I got home, then after it rained I decided to check them all one bu one y pulling them out. Sure enough, it was the same exact fuse as in your previous thread that I posted. Communication Fuse.
Occam's Razor ...glad to have helped.

Quick Reply: Battery died, now MMI does not turn on