A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Battery Drain Issue Fixed

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2024, 10:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 145 Likes on 126 Posts

The V10 is it’s own beast 👍
Old 07-01-2024, 05:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiAllTheWay
The V10 is it’s own beast 👍
It is that.
Old 07-03-2024, 08:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks to the OP for reporting back on issue solutions so diligently. Will no doubt help others.
Old 07-04-2024, 05:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Sverige
Thanks to the OP for reporting back on issue solutions so diligently. Will no doubt help others.
Just giving back to the AudiWorld community. Too many "unsolved" posts and countless useless Youtube videos out there to weed through.
Old 07-04-2024, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 121 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by A6 4.2 Vier
Just giving back to the AudiWorld community. Too many "unsolved" posts and countless useless Youtube videos out there to weed through.
that I agree. I wanna say that 95% of questions never gets answered on this forum, thus completely defies the purpose of even asking.
Old 07-04-2024, 08:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 164 Likes on 145 Posts

Agreed... I can't stand reading a couple pages of a post, then to get to the end and there was no solution. Sh!tbuckets!
Old 07-06-2024, 08:50 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by A6 4.2 Vier

I started pulling fuses and measured the amp draw for each circuit. I noticed that fuse 19 (Rain Sensor) was drawing .07 amps with the car in "sleep mode". I thought that was unusual so I disconnected the Rain/Light sensor and it has been over 2 weeks without the battery going low in voltage.

Thank you for reporting solutions.
Can I ask how much the sleep mode draw was with the rain sensor fuse removed?
I have a drain issue too. I did not do any fault search yet. But it would be interesting to know what the expected baseline would be.

A .07A draw for the rain sensor in sleep mode would not be normal. Yet it should not drain a fresh battery in a couple of days? I guess the draw may have been fluctuating and been higher at times?
Just had an drain issue on a Peugeut. It appeared one of the foglights periodically was coming on at random intensity due to a mouse nest on top of the control module. The cables were OK. The module was heavily coroded inside due to urin.
Old 07-07-2024, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Haio
Thank you for reporting solutions.
Can I ask how much the sleep mode draw was with the rain sensor fuse removed?
I have a drain issue too. I did not do any fault search yet. But it would be interesting to know what the expected baseline would be.

A .07A draw for the rain sensor in sleep mode would not be normal. Yet it should not drain a fresh battery in a couple of days? I guess the draw may have been fluctuating and been higher at times?
Just had an drain issue on a Peugeut. It appeared one of the foglights periodically was coming on at random intensity due to a mouse nest on top of the control module. The cables were OK. The module was heavily coroded inside due to urin.
From the fuses that I pulled (left and right dash sides) the only other draw was a .05A draw for the left side electronic windows. Note I did not check the under the hood fuse amp draws.
The total current draw measured at the battery negative terminal was 0.18A with the rain sensor connected.
I also suspect that the rain sensor amp draw was fluctuating as the battery drained in my driveway within a few hours, other times it would take over a week.
My meter has a record function but I figured that it would be a good enough test to just remove the rain sensor from the circuit.

From my research the digital radio optics circuit was a contender and the first one that I eliminated, the rain sensor was the second on my list.
One other abnormality that I noticed was that when I pulled the fuses, the metal tabs were slightly oxidized except where the contact was made. I cleaned them up with a stainless steel wire brush.
I also suspected issues with my previous battery as the new battery eliminated the check engine light from the fuel rail system pressure too low error code and the steering wheel started to move into and out of position with the new battery upon starting which I forgot about this "feature".

Last edited by A6 4.2 Vier; 07-07-2024 at 11:44 AM.
Old 07-11-2024, 10:57 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you.

I put in a new battery today as the car was left unattendet for acouple of weeks and the old was completely dead after several deep discharges lately. I have a drain of 0.24A in sleep mode. I pulled all fuses at left side, including the rain sensor. but no luck so far. As it was sitting in my driveway with a dead battery I was working outside until it started raining. I'll put on a charger for now and continue when it dries up.

The Radio was a good tip. I remember now the FM-radio unit acted up and shorted out the bus long time ago. I just bypassed it as we no longer have any FM-service anyway. I believe it may still be connected to power. May be worth a closer look.

Oxidized fuses are well known. It is recomended to change them from time to time. But who does?
Low battery tension during starting due to a weak battery can create a lot of interesting false error codes. Seen a lot of that kind lately. :-)

Old 07-11-2024, 03:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Battery drained again - problem not solved!

Quick Reply: Battery Drain Issue Fixed