A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

battery issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2016, 08:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default battery issues

so i've had some starting issues the last week as the weather has gotten colder (not even that cold really for CT, maybe lows in the 20's at night), wednesday morning was very slow to crank, battery light flashed on but did start. friday went to start but not enough juice to turn over then went dead so i put my trickle charger on it for about 4 hours as my wife was out with her car and it started so i drove it around for about 20 minutes to charge it up. then last night i went to see if it would start as i only took it our for about a mile drive saturday and it was dead again, so i jumped it with wifes car and drove around about 20 minutes. the car did start this morning thankfully, but now that's going to be cold for a while, i hate having to be constantly worried that the car won't start. and it's not just cold, this spring after i left my car parked at the airport for 3 days it barely turned over when i got back at midnight. the battery is only two years old, actually replaced the previous fairly new battery when i purchased the car as i was having cold start issues then too - battery is an Interstate megatron, i even upgraded from the H8 that was in there to H9 with 850 CCA. obviously it doesn't help that the car is not garaged and my commute to work is only a couple miles, but i need to do something so that i'm not constantly gambling whether it will start. would an AGM battery help? from what i've read they're more reliable in cold/hot extremes and don't discharge as rapidly as a flooded battery, plus they charge much quicker which would be a plus for my short commutes i'd imagine. has anyone here switched to one?
there's a Bosch S6-95R which has 950 CCA as well as a couple others i believe with the same CCA, all are $200+, which doesn't bother me, i'd rather pay twice as much for a battery that will reliably start - my peace of mind is totally worth an extra $100.
i had been toying with getting a big jump pack and leaving in the trunk, but i'd hate to rely on it, especially if an AGM battery will hopefully solve my problems.
also, i could put a warming blanket on the battery now, but what a PITA to plug that in every night. anyone else with these issues?
Old 11-28-2016, 09:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default battery issues

I have had a number of Interstate batteries and they have never failed on me before (knock on wood). Since the battery is only 2 years old I would guess that it is probably still healthy. It sounds like you usually only drive for short trips, my recommendation would be to let the battery trickle charge overnight to give it a good charge. If you are still having weak starting issues, you may have a drain in the electrical system somewhere, because the battery should not be weak after only 3 days. Just my two cents. Good luck!
Old 11-28-2016, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by adrianreece
I have had a number of Interstate batteries and they have never failed on me before (knock on wood). Since the battery is only 2 years old I would guess that it is probably still healthy. It sounds like you usually only drive for short trips, my recommendation would be to let the battery trickle charge overnight to give it a good charge. If you are still having weak starting issues, you may have a drain in the electrical system somewhere, because the battery should not be weak after only 3 days. Just my two cents. Good luck!
i guess it could be a drain somewhere in the electrical system, but how do you determine that? the previous battery was an almost new interstate and was replaced under warranty.....but again, 99% of these issues arise in cold weather, so with my short commute and cold decreasing starting power by 30-60%, i think i need something that's going to charge quicker and hold it better. i unplugged my iphone charger which is usually left plugged in, but i can't imagine that is causing excessive drain, or is it?
Old 11-28-2016, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Just because the battery is only 2 years old doesn't mean it's ok. I've had batteries that lasted 10 years and some that only last a short period. AGM batteries do hold up better in my experience.

As far as a jump start pack I have something similar to the link below. They work better than I ever would have imagined. I've started everything from a lawnmower to Dodge Hemi Durango. The only thing it's ever failed to start was my Dodge Cummins 6.7 diesel pickup. Didn't quite have enough juice for that.

https://www.amazon.com/NOCO-GB40-Ult...2Bstarter&th=1
Old 11-28-2016, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 389 Likes on 350 Posts

Yeah, I'll agree, I think you've got to have the existing battery (load) tested and eliminate the obvious.

I think the AGM batteries should be default in these cars with their substantial power requirements. I don't think the traditional lead-acid batteries are going to enjoy a long life span.

Couple of other thoughts:

The cigarette plugs in the A6 C6 are not switched meaning they're draining power all the time when something is connected. I think this is an invitation to trouble, Von.

I'd avoid using the seat heaters and rear defroster on your short ride to work. They're massive consumers and the battery would have no chance to recover on a brief ride.

Output from the alternator could be weak. As you know, you may have something drawing power when you believe the vehicle is off.

I can share nothing but stories of success when it comes to these big AGM batteries:

Name:  DSC_8477_zps5d8b04f0.jpg
Views: 2170
Size:  167.1 KB
Old 11-28-2016, 12:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by the_duke
Just because the battery is only 2 years old doesn't mean it's ok. I've had batteries that lasted 10 years and some that only last a short period. AGM batteries do hold up better in my experience.

As far as a jump start pack I have something similar to the link below. They work better than I ever would have imagined. I've started everything from a lawnmower to Dodge Hemi Durango. The only thing it's ever failed to start was my Dodge Cummins 6.7 diesel pickup. Didn't quite have enough juice for that.

https://www.amazon.com/NOCO-GB40-Ult...2Bstarter&th=1
so true, my wife's 2004 volvo had the original battery in it when we sold it a few months ago and never had an issue with it and i've had dead batteries out of the box and a few in between, so you are right on the age thing. i think i may bite the bullet and get the bosch.

regarding the jump pack - i was looking at one like that and read lots of good reviews, it's hard to believe it really works that well. do you have the 1,000 amp version?
have you been able to start a fully drained battery with it? i wonder if they're just as good as the more old school jump boxes that are the size of a small briefcase?
Old 11-28-2016, 03:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I believe mine is only 600 amp. I've had it for a year or two and they have gotten better and less expensive during that time. Used it this weekend to fire up my 2000 Passat that had a completely dead battery. In my opinion they are just as good as the old style large boxes just a lot more convenient. Really the only thing that's changed is the battery technology.
Old 11-29-2016, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

i sure hope it's not an alternator issue, it was a nightmare replacing it in my old A6 last year.....but seeing as how it just started as the temps dropped, same as last year and just fine in the warm temps, i'm guessing its not the alternator.

regarding AGM batteries, i'd like one with the highest CCA i can find, i've found three with 950 CCA, the bosch one i can only find at summit racing but not available till end of december, Oreilly's has Super Start brand and Napa has their own - the Legend - anyone have any experience with those brands? interstate (the battery i currently have) has one but it's only 730 CCA.

i think i'm definitely going to get one of those portable chargers for a little peace of mind, $80 for 1,000 amp ain't bad
Old 11-29-2016, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 389 Likes on 350 Posts

Pepboi in my area sells the BOSCH batteries.
Old 11-29-2016, 08:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by uberwgn
Pepboi in my area sells the BOSCH batteries.
the pepboys near me sells them too, but they're not showing the big boy with 950 CCA, they have the one with 850 - which is probably fine as that's what i have now, but maybe i'll see if they can order it.....but i wonder if the bosch is any better than the other two brands i mentioned, i thought i read somewhere the bosch ones are actually made by exide?