A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Best OEM battery replacement and coding of new battery

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2018, 02:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

About two months ago, my battery died. Everything was fine, & mmi indicated that the battery was 100% right up until it wasn't.
It drove me nuts, thinking that there was a major electrical problem, or the immobilizer had been triggered. I called AAA to tow the car to my Indy. They(AAA) jumped it, & it started right up. They put in a new $150 5yr warranty battery & it's been fine ever since.
I didn't do any recoding, & just had them hook up their power supply, while they changed the battery, so that the car wouldn't lose it's memories. But, everything does seem to be fine, without going through a lot of trouble...

Last edited by LarryJa; 03-15-2018 at 02:53 AM.
Old 03-15-2018, 11:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by LarryJa
About two months ago, my battery died. Everything was fine, & mmi indicated that the battery was 100% right up until it wasn't.
It drove me nuts, thinking that there was a major electrical problem, or the immobilizer had been triggered. I called AAA to tow the car to my Indy. They(AAA) jumped it, & it started right up. They put in a new $150 5yr warranty battery & it's been fine ever since.
I didn't do any recoding, & just had them hook up their power supply, while they changed the battery, so that the car wouldn't lose it's memories. But, everything does seem to be fine, without going through a lot of trouble...
LarryJa, that's great that it has worked out for you. I wonder if having the car hooked up to the power supply so the car doesn't lose any memory (realize there is a new battery being installed) has anything to do with it. I'm grabbing for straws here. What brand do you have in there now and is it an AGM battery?
Anyway, I haven't had any issues in about 2 weeks so I'm hoping I'm in the clear. However, one thing I am learning with these cars is to not get too comfortable because just when everything is going well..........BOOM, something happens out of nowhere.

Just today I got a "Key is not in car" message on the dash accompanied by the LOUD beep. Scared the mess out of me. Of course the key was in the car. I was driving but the key was in the cupholder in the center console where I normally keep it when I use the push to start. First time this has happened. Every few days there is a new dilemma for me to solve.
Old 03-16-2018, 09:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i did not hook up any backup power when changing the battery and all settings saved, maybe there's some sort of backup battery in the mmi that lasts a short amount of time to keep settings? i get that "key not in car" message all the time too, drives me nuts, keys are always in my pants pocket....and of course the car never unlocks the car with the sensor when it's raining out, the only time you really need it to work!
Old 03-16-2018, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by VONBOTTLE
i did not hook up any backup power when changing the battery and all settings saved, maybe there's some sort of backup battery in the mmi that lasts a short amount of time to keep settings? i get that "key not in car" message all the time too, drives me nuts, keys are always in my pants pocket....and of course the car never unlocks the car with the sensor when it's raining out, the only time you really need it to work!
Yeah....the battery was out of my car for a few hours before I hooked the other one up. Well, I just went and got new batteries for this dumb remote. I drove my car that is actually reliable and EVERYTHING works in it. The picture has a hint on the car. I’m sure the battery will fix the issue! Yeah right!!