A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Big problem with rear brakes

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 09:10 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big problem with rear brakes

My first post and unfortunately, it's because I screwed up. Replacing pads on my new to me 08, A6. Got the fronts done. Started on the rears. Used VAG COM to release the calipers. I got the left one done, started on the right one and ran out of time. I had to go to work. The caliper was laying on the wheel which I had put under the car.

I went in the car to shut down the computer and the car (I left the ignition on) and by accident, hit the parking brake switch. The computer was on the drivers seat next to the parking brake switch. The pistons started to engage. Problem is, the right brakes was not installed. The piston went out all the way and of course I had error lights everywhere.

Now, is it possible to get that piston back in or am I screwed? Any help would be much appreciated.
Old 12-08-2013, 06:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Hi, John
Did You try to open it With vag com again??
Old 12-08-2013, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Try the method of rear pad replacement without the vagcom remove bolts for caliper motor and turn piston back manually. Just a thought.
Old 12-08-2013, 12:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fe342185
Try the method of rear pad replacement without the vagcom remove bolts for caliper motor and turn piston back manually. Just a thought.
Agree, but be prepared, it is a PIA... you will need to be careful not to pull the power wire for e-brake connection out of the back while you struggle with the caliper. You will need a tool to turn the piston...
Old 12-08-2013, 05:32 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks for the replies everyone. The caliper sprung a leak when I got to it the next morning. Brake fluid all over the garage floor. It looks like the piston was pushed out all the way which allowed a small opening in the rubber cover that leaked.

I took the whole caliper apart, cleaned it, and put it back together. I manually turned the piston back to where it should be. Ran out of time today, so tomorrow I will bleed that caliper and mount it, then hope it works and doesn't leak. If it does leak, I will get a caliper repair kit and try again.
Old 12-09-2013, 05:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by johns12
My first post and unfortunately, it's because I screwed up. Replacing pads on my new to me 08, A6. Got the fronts done. Started on the rears. Used VAG COM to release the calipers. I got the left one done, started on the right one and ran out of time. I had to go to work. The caliper was laying on the wheel which I had put under the car.

I went in the car to shut down the computer and the car (I left the ignition on) and by accident, hit the parking brake switch. The computer was on the drivers seat next to the parking brake switch. The pistons started to engage. Problem is, the right brakes was not installed. The piston went out all the way and of course I had error lights everywhere.

Now, is it possible to get that piston back in or am I screwed? Any help would be much appreciated.
Did you do it like this ? -
Old 12-09-2013, 05:22 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by royclark
Yes, I followed those instructions. My problem was accidentally hitting the parking brake switch with the caliper off the car.

An update. I have it working. I took the caliper apart, reseated the gaskets and reassembled. I manually cranked the piston back to the rest position. Attached the caliper and bled it.

I used the VAG COM to reset the error code for the parking brake malfunction and then I had to engage the parking brake to get the error lights on the instrument panel to go off.

Took the car for a long ride and bedded the brakes. Everything seems to be fine. The new pads are Akebono. The oem pads that were on the car were very grabby. Very hard to modulate or to brake smoothly. The Akebono pads are very smooth and easy to modulate.

Thanks to everyone for your input. I'm looking forward to many years with the A6 and on this forum.
Old 12-09-2013, 07:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad to hear that you're able to resolve the problem. I agree with you on brake pads. I've been very happy with Akebonos. It's definitely easier to modulate than the stock pads. The added bonuses are no dust and long life. I have 45K miles on my set and they still have 50% left. My stocks only lasted about 20K miles.
Old 12-10-2013, 05:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by johns12
Yes, I followed those instructions. My problem was accidentally hitting the parking brake switch with the caliper off the car.

An update. I have it working. I took the caliper apart, reseated the gaskets and reassembled. I manually cranked the piston back to the rest position. Attached the caliper and bled it.

I used the VAG COM to reset the error code for the parking brake malfunction and then I had to engage the parking brake to get the error lights on the instrument panel to go off.

Took the car for a long ride and bedded the brakes. Everything seems to be fine. The new pads are Akebono. The oem pads that were on the car were very grabby. Very hard to modulate or to brake smoothly. The Akebono pads are very smooth and easy to modulate.

Thanks to everyone for your input. I'm looking forward to many years with the A6 and on this forum.
very impressed with the fact that you could fix it without buying new caliper. Please keep everyone posted if you will notice any side effects in the near future.
Old 12-17-2013, 01:38 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by beep-beep
very impressed with the fact that you could fix it without buying new caliper. Please keep everyone posted if you will notice any side effects in the near future.
I will.