A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Blacked out C6's <Pics>

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 10:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dufferdude, you plasti dip the grill. So you just taped everything off and then sprayed while on the car? What did you do to prep the area, sand, primer. etc?

When you did this, did you remove the tape immediately after spraying or wait till it was dry? I ask because when I did the side trim and waited until it dryed, while peeling off the tape, it was pulling the plasti dip up too since its more rubber like than paint.

How many coats did you spray and last question please: Since spraying it, have you noticed if any of it has started to chip from rocks or bugs?

Thanks so much as this might be my next project as I just heard that to remove the grill you have to loosen the front bumper. If thats true then plasti dip is my next project vs buying a new grill.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

pkancel, yGm........
Old 04-01-2011, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dufferdude
Plastidipped the grille and the spoiler, holds up very well.
I did the same thing but I left the rings chrome on the grille. Looks a thousand times better than it did before. I also spray tinted the bumper side markers and vinyl'd the trim and debadged.
Just need some 20" rs6 reps.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by pkancel
Dufferdude, you plasti dip the grill. So you just taped everything off and then sprayed while on the car? What did you do to prep the area, sand, primer. etc?

When you did this, did you remove the tape immediately after spraying or wait till it was dry? I ask because when I did the side trim and waited until it dryed, while peeling off the tape, it was pulling the plasti dip up too since its more rubber like than paint.

How many coats did you spray and last question please: Since spraying it, have you noticed if any of it has started to chip from rocks or bugs?

Thanks so much as this might be my next project as I just heard that to remove the grill you have to loosen the front bumper. If thats true then plasti dip is my next project vs buying a new grill.
Def worth it IMO to plastidip. It will cost you 10-15 bucks for 2-3 cans and about 5 hours of work. You do have to take the bumper off in order to remove the grille. One tip for the bumper is to put jack stands underneath so you do not have to remove the headlamp washer hoses. Once you remove the grille you need to pop the rings out (keep chrome IMO) and remove the grille license plate holder and backing. Hang all three pieces and paint. You def do not want to spray while on the ground as the plastidip will spit bubbles and ruin the finish (the can has to be upright not pointed at the ground).

Not hard at all. I would recommend putting on only two-three coats of plastidip as anymore may cause blotching. I think i waited about 20-30 minutes before I sprayed the second coat. One more tip is to make sure you Spray it on even. You do not want to be to close and not too far away. I would say about 8 inches away is good.

I've had mine on for about 9 months now (rain, snow, salt, carwashes) and it's still practically mint condition except one small area where something stained it a bit but it's barely noticeable. And if you mess up you can just peel it off and start over.

Oh and while your at it, pop the fog light covers and do those too along with the rear valance. Have fun!

Last edited by r1racer; 04-01-2011 at 12:42 PM.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's a good look R1!
Old 04-01-2011, 06:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by r1racer
I did the same thing but I left the rings chrome on the grille. Looks a thousand times better than it did before. I also spray tinted the bumper side markers and vinyl'd the trim and debadged.
Just need some 20" rs6 reps.
Tape off the deck lid rings or take off spray and put back on??
Old 04-02-2011, 09:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i dont think removing the bumper to have full access to the grill in order to keep can upright is the cheap way to go at it...i think it was smart But more importantly i think it looks great!
Old 04-02-2011, 03:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Robert Schirmer
Tape off the deck lid rings or take off spray and put back on??
I took the rings off and sprayed. The better option is to buy black rings. It's easier for the plastidip to chip or peel on the rings and obviously you don't want to have to take off the rings more th an once as it's a pain.

Last edited by r1racer; 04-02-2011 at 03:43 PM.
Old 04-02-2011, 03:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Let me make an observation that is unfortunate. Everyone has an opinion and trading information, feedback, sharing photos and how to details, is what this forum is all about.

But why is it lately that every time I connect to a post, I see where some ***--ole makes an offsensive comment. As in the case of butthead royclark. I would bet you a million dollars that if he didnt tell everyone what steps he took, you wouldnt have any idea that was a respray. It looks factory to me but my opinion is no more important that yours. I just feel that saying it looks cheap(not cheep, learn how to spell) is offensive to someone that just took a lot of time and effort. You want him to tape it off when he actually removed the entire front bumper cover and grill to make sure it was covered correctly. Its one thing if he put shiny gold bling rims or painted all of the trim gold, but this is very subdued.

So again as I stated in another post to someone that was offsensive to another member. Why dont you grow up and act like an adult instead of an idiot, but hey, thats just my opinion. Unless of course you are his good friend and teasing him, but I am guessing not.

Originally Posted by royclark
To me, it looks like a cheep re-spray, couldn't be bothered to mask any thing off.
Sorry, just the way I see it.
Old 04-02-2011, 04:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I think the plastidip looks factory (like the TI package) on every color car except black and it definitely gives it a more aggresive/sportier look. Everyone's entitled to their opinion though.

Quick Reply: Blacked out C6's <Pics>