A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Bluetooth module starting to fail

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2016, 04:58 PM
Audiworld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bluetooth module starting to fail

2009 A6 and my Android bluetooth has been working fine. Suddenly, the phonebook won't populate. Dialed calls, Answered calls, etc. populate fine and the bluetooth connnection allows send and receive calls flawlessly. Thought it might be the phone, but went out to my 08 Avant and it works great - same MMI version as well. I've tried resetting the factory defaults on the MMI, then verified that they were identical to the 08. What appears to be happening with the 09 is that the 'car' is not generating the initial Pbap request which populates the phonebook. That happens immediately when pairing on the 08 but does not on the 09. Coincidentally, radio turns itself on spontaneously. After about 4 inches of rain over a two week period. Anyway to inspect where the BT module is located without pulling the seat?

Bluetooth module starting to fail I suspect - same symptoms as that happened with my 06 C6 prior to complete failure - with BT module flooded.
Old 11-08-2016, 05:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would just feel around under the seat with your hand or a paper towel and see what moisture you can feel.

From reports on here, if the bluetooth module fails your whole MOST ring will fail. (they are all interconnected) and your MMI etc won't work. I'd (a) leave your windows open for a few days if possible to dry out , and (b) look for a water leak.

Nothing good comes from letting water remain under the seats.
Old 11-09-2016, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If it does go out and you don't want to drop the $$ on a new one, you can use something like this to get MMI back up and running.

https://www.amazon.com/Easyget-Optic.../dp/B01DZBMFBM
Old 11-09-2016, 10:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 204 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by iaflyer
I would just feel around under the seat with your hand or a paper towel and see what moisture you can feel.

From reports on here, if the bluetooth module fails your whole MOST ring will fail. (they are all interconnected) and your MMI etc won't work. I'd (a) leave your windows open for a few days if possible to dry out , and (b) look for a water leak.

Nothing good comes from letting water remain under the seats.
This tactic only works if there is an obvious water retention issue and has happened recently. The only sure way is to actually remove the BT module and open it up to see if there's any corrosion or simply replace it...or attempt to dry it out and hope it works ok. That is assuming the issue is the BT module...run a VCDS log and see what it tells you.
Old 11-09-2016, 05:00 PM
Audiworld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, by some magic, everything started working normally yesterday. VCDS came up clean. I wish I could say I knew what changed but I don't. Quite possible that it's a combination of a phone that is aging with a BT module that is starting to go. I have noticed for some time that I need to move the phone out of my side clip onto the passenger seat or console to get any bars at all to show up on the MMI display. Not discounting it might be the phone. Not upgrading to a Samsung Waiting for my Samsung refrig to explode - dishwasher bit the dust after 3 years.