A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Bought a new (used) 2006 A6 and having problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 06:43 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bought a new (used) 2006 A6 and having problems

Hi folks!

New to the forums. Just bought a 2006 A6 3.2L two months ago. Having a few problems that I need help with.

Most concerning:
1) About a month after purchasing I started occasionally having problems starting it. But it has grown in frequency and now happens on approximately 60% of my attempts.

I turn the key and you can hear the starting noise where it is trying to start. This is the noise that is pretty normal for trying to turn a car on. I don't know the terminology, but on older cars, especially if it is cold out you will hear the reeer reeer reeer sound for a few seconds before it actually starts.

Well in this case you hear the starting noise and the engine sort of starts. Instead of the rpms going up to like 1500 and dropping down to 500 (like normal car starting) - it goes to 500 RPMs and the engine is shaking like its about to die (like trying to starting a car off in 3rd gear from a full stop on a manual tranny) and the starting noise is still going on. So it seems like it only partially started or something. Maybe only certain cylinders started and not all of them???

I turn off the key really quick and try it again and it usually starts up just fine.

Today it took two attempts. Anyway. It's getting worse and starting to freak me out. Any ideas what the problem is?

2) The yellow brake rotar lights thing came on. I had the car inspected before I bought it and the car guy told me I had around 5k miles left on them. It's been around 1500 and the light came on. How much longer do I have before I need to change them? A few thousand more miles or pretty much need to do them ASAP?

3) Around 3 weeks ago some rock from no where slammed into my front left fog light and cracked some of the plastic around the light. Right after the rock hit it, my car started telling me the light was out. Examining the light, there is no actual damage to the glass or light itself. Just a very small crack on the housing. I couldn't figure out how to turn on my fog lights (maybe they both are out). What is wrong? Can I DIY this? What do i need to do?

4) My fuel door won't close. This happened the night I bought it and filled it up. Previous owner said nothing about it. Inspection guy said nothing. Are there any fixes I can make or does this pretty much involve take it down to a shop and having them replace the electrical lever thingy?
Old 10-20-2013, 07:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I also have symptoms similar to what you describe in problem #1, but much less frequently. Do you get any check engine lights when it does it? I get both a check engine and the EPC light comes on.
Old 10-20-2013, 10:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

[quote=FireWynd;24500193]Hi folks!

3) Around 3 weeks ago some rock from no where slammed into my front left fog light and cracked some of the plastic around the light. Right after the rock hit it, my car started telling me the light was out. Examining the light, there is no actual damage to the glass or light itself. Just a very small crack on the housing. I couldn't figure out how to turn on my fog lights (maybe they both are out). What is wrong? Can I DIY this? What do i need to do?[quote]

Turn the light switch past auto then pull the **** out to turn on the fog lights.
Old 10-20-2013, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 205 Likes on 174 Posts

Welcome to the AW forum and I've tried to provide some feedback to your questions, in the appropriate order:

1 - have you done any general maintenance to the vehicle; new spark plugs, fuel filter, air filter etc...? If so, I'd get these things done ASAP. All these may impact your general starting issue, however it also could be the coils...so IMHO get the maintenance done and ALSO get yourself to someone who has a vag-com cable and pull the codes that you are seeing. Since misfires and issues will be available in the download.

BTW, this issue could also be related to the following TSB http://uberlame.com/a6_tsb/Engine/En...ong%20Time.pdf

Or worse, a failing fuel pump - low pressure pump, or pre-pump. The HPFP is located near the front of the engine.

2 - when the brake light comes on you do NOT have a couple of thousand more miles. The brake pad warning light is designed to come on when the front brakes wear down to about 20%-25% left on the pads. Considering the mileage on the car and since I have no idea if the rotors were changed. I'd recommend you get good quality pads, such as <a href="http://www.fcpeuro.com/products/audi-brake-pad-set-front-a4-a4-quattro-a6-a6-quattro-s4-eur1111">Akebono</a> and put brand new pads AND rotors on ALL four wheels. The last thing you want is braking issues. As for timing, this is all dependent on how aggressive you drive, but if it were me I'd be getting this taken care of within the next 500 HUNDRED miles, not thousand of miles. BTW, if you chose not to go OEM rotors, get GOOD quality parts from either <a href="http://www.fcpeuro.com/products/audi-disc-brake-rotor-front-a6-a6-quattro-4f0615301e">Zimmerman </a> or Brembo and don't go with the cheapo ebay stuff and don't waste your time with slotted and/or drilled rotors, since I doubt you will ever be going to track your car.

3 - listen to the advice given by royalclark

4 - fuel door not closing has a number of threads on the subject, just use the SEARCH function on the forum, let me help you with that:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2798974

Good luck and take care of the car and it will be a great drive for many more miles...neglect it and it will be a money pit
Originally Posted by FireWynd
Hi folks!

New to the forums. Just bought a 2006 A6 3.2L two months ago. Having a few problems that I need help with.

Most concerning:
1) About a month after purchasing I started occasionally having problems starting it. But it has grown in frequency and now happens on approximately 60% of my attempts.

I turn the key and you can hear the starting noise where it is trying to start. This is the noise that is pretty normal for trying to turn a car on. I don't know the terminology, but on older cars, especially if it is cold out you will hear the reeer reeer reeer sound for a few seconds before it actually starts.

Well in this case you hear the starting noise and the engine sort of starts. Instead of the rpms going up to like 1500 and dropping down to 500 (like normal car starting) - it goes to 500 RPMs and the engine is shaking like its about to die (like trying to starting a car off in 3rd gear from a full stop on a manual tranny) and the starting noise is still going on. So it seems like it only partially started or something. Maybe only certain cylinders started and not all of them???

I turn off the key really quick and try it again and it usually starts up just fine.

Today it took two attempts. Anyway. It's getting worse and starting to freak me out. Any ideas what the problem is?

2) The yellow brake rotar lights thing came on. I had the car inspected before I bought it and the car guy told me I had around 5k miles left on them. It's been around 1500 and the light came on. How much longer do I have before I need to change them? A few thousand more miles or pretty much need to do them ASAP?

3) Around 3 weeks ago some rock from no where slammed into my front left fog light and cracked some of the plastic around the light. Right after the rock hit it, my car started telling me the light was out. Examining the light, there is no actual damage to the glass or light itself. Just a very small crack on the housing. I couldn't figure out how to turn on my fog lights (maybe they both are out). What is wrong? Can I DIY this? What do i need to do?

4) My fuel door won't close. This happened the night I bought it and filled it up. Previous owner said nothing about it. Inspection guy said nothing. Are there any fixes I can make or does this pretty much involve take it down to a shop and having them replace the electrical lever thingy?

Last edited by raj99; 10-20-2013 at 11:07 AM.
Old 10-20-2013, 11:21 AM
caf
AudiWorld Member

1)In addition to the previous suggestions I would add that the Audi 3.2 was one of the first direct injection engines in wide use. In my experience, especially in the first few years, it could be very picky about fuel quality. Try going through a tank or two of Tier 1 fuel: Premium from Shell, BP, etc.

Obviously, if you're already using top quality stuff you'll have to look elsewhere. We had some intermittent slow starting with my '05 3.2 and eventually realized it was much worse after my wife was using the car--because she put cheaper grade fuel in. Even though we had the dealer check the problem out several times, it didn't go away until we figured out the fuel thing. I really wouldn't have guessed that it would make such a difference.
Old 10-20-2013, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 205 Likes on 174 Posts

Good point on the fuel quality! BTW, here's a detailed write-up I did on the DI system on Audi's and how to keep it in relative good shape:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...61&postcount=7

Originally Posted by caf
1)In addition to the previous suggestions I would add that the Audi 3.2 was one of the first direct injection engines in wide use. In my experience, especially in the first few years, it could be very picky about fuel quality. Try going through a tank or two of Tier 1 fuel: Premium from Shell, BP, etc.

Obviously, if you're already using top quality stuff you'll have to look elsewhere. We had some intermittent slow starting with my '05 3.2 and eventually realized it was much worse after my wife was using the car--because she put cheaper grade fuel in. Even though we had the dealer check the problem out several times, it didn't go away until we figured out the fuel thing. I really wouldn't have guessed that it would make such a difference.
Old 10-20-2013, 11:34 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by jbrentd
I also have symptoms similar to what you describe in problem #1, but much less frequently. Do you get any check engine lights when it does it? I get both a check engine and the EPC light comes on.
No CEL - no idea what EPC light is. Looked it up - electronic power control. I don't know where this would be. If it is in the screen area by the speed limit / rpm gauge then - no. No weird lights come on. Just behaves really weird / scary.
Old 10-20-2013, 11:35 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by royclark
Turn the light switch past auto then pull the **** out to turn on the fog lights.
Thank you will check this out.
Old 10-20-2013, 11:41 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by raj99
1 - have you done any general maintenance to the vehicle; new spark plugs, fuel filter, air filter etc...?
I had the car inspected by an audi shop in town around 2 months ago. He said there were no codes. He said fuel filter looked good. The plug he pulled looked good. Air filter could use changing.

Any advice for where to get an air filter? I've looked around and different sites had two different kinds listed as fitting. A cylinder style one and a square one. I couldn't figure out how to get to my air filter - but judging by the container of what i thought it was - it looked cylinder style. Can anyone confirm that for 2006 A6? Where do people buy theirs online?

Also thanks raj99 for your comprehensive answers on all other topics.
Old 10-20-2013, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by caf
I am using the highest octane at the station near my place. I believe it's 91.

Is there really a difference in fuel between different gas stations that have the same octane rating? I've always thought it was a wives tale. Is there some legitimate proof?

Quick Reply: Bought a new (used) 2006 A6 and having problems