A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011
Old 09-06-2016, 11:10 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A6 (C6) Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

brake light warning but no LEDs out...is there a fix?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 11:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default brake light warning but no LEDs out...is there a fix?

the 06 Avant I am about to purchase has a brake light warning on the center display but the owner says he took it to the dealer and they couldn't pinpoint the problem, so they just cleared the code but he says it just came back on after 2 mos.
We checked all the LEDs in both taillights and they are all working so what gives? Random Audi electric gremlin or is there a known fix for this? Otherwise I'm gonna make him have the dealer take another look at it since he still has CPO warranty. It would be nice to know what to tell the dealer to look at so they can repair or replace the faulty part under warranty.
Thanks!
The following users liked this post:
johnennals (02-07-2023)
Old 10-25-2010, 11:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Scan under VAG-COM to see if any clues.
Old 10-26-2010, 02:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 921 Likes on 753 Posts

The intermittent brake light warning is a known problem. It is the rear right light unit. The entire unit needs to be replaced. If you search the forum you will see that it has been discussed several times. I had the unit replaced a few months back.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinGary
The intermittent brake light warning is a known problem. It is the rear right light unit. The entire unit needs to be replaced. If you search the forum you will see that it has been discussed several times. I had the unit replaced a few months back.
I read something about that but it didn't seem related. I assume it is. So its always the rear right or could it be either one? I'd like to be explicit when I take it to the dealer so they can focus on that one part or parts. Thanks!
Old 10-26-2010, 03:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 921 Likes on 753 Posts

Everything that I read on the forum indicated that it was only the rear right light.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I also had an intermittent Center Brake Light alarm on my 2009 Audi A4.

I removed the brake light assembly and wiggled it while it was still connected and while the brake pedal was depressed with a stick. All 18 LEDS flashed in unison when I wiggled the Brake Light connector. I examined the assembly under high magnification and found circular cracks in the two solder connections for the connector pins. I remelted the solder and added a drop or two more solder to make a permanent repair.

I have seen this kind of defective soldering on the circuit boards of fuel pump relays as well. It occurs because the more massive leads don't get hot enough to sufficiently flow the solder during mass production.

I believe these cracks tend to form more often in climates having extreme temperature swings such as here in New England.
Old 05-18-2015, 05:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

I posted my experience to a related thread: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-.../#post24687333

Getting the red cover off is not easy - this unit is not designed to be disassembled. In any case, the failure was exactly as you stated - the pins are not soldered well so they break off from the circuit board.
Old 07-09-2018, 11:39 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Had to replace the entire assembly. If you have a performance shop near you, go there. They did mine for 110 out the door. Also, doing it yourself, it's really hard to get the assembly back in, even with the interior pry tools.
Old 04-08-2019, 04:17 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Center Brake Light

You don't have to disassemble the plastic housing. Just cut a small hole over the connector pins and re solder them. I put the piece I cut out back on and covered it with a piece of Gorilla tape and it looks like it came from the factory. Everything now works like it should, and now I have a secret door that allows me to access the connector pins just in case I ever have to do it again. I used my Dremel tool with a circular saw disk to make the door. I just removed a triangle shape with the wide side of the triangle over the solder joints. Run the Dremel tool as slow as possible to keep from melting the plastic.

Last edited by kyle; 04-09-2019 at 12:43 PM. Reason: Additional Information
Old 09-25-2019, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 124 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by ILLusive
I read something about that but it didn't seem related. I assume it is. So its always the rear right or could it be either one? I'd like to be explicit when I take it to the dealer so they can focus on that one part or parts. Thanks!
Everything that I read on the forum indicated that it was only the rear right light.
mine 07 avant is showing me brake error for rear left (drivers side, LHD)
why would it be right hand side light then?

Also, my third brake light is dead, and probably has those conectors cracked... but finding time to deal with this is hard...

and while we are talking about taillights, has anybody tried sanding/cutting/polishing inner lights on a trunk lid? they are completelly hazed and foggy, but outer lights that are on the body itslef are completelly clear and look like new.

Ive seen a lot of avants with this problems, so anybody done anything about it?

Quick Reply: brake light warning but no LEDs out...is there a fix?