A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Brakes screech when cold, but only in reverse...

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 03:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Brakes screech when cold, but only in reverse...

Since the temperatures have been down in the sub-30's lately, my brakes screech loudly when backing out of the garage every AM. As soon as I put the car in D and tap the brakes (to test), no more screech. Only happens when the car has been sitting overnigh in cold weather...during the day (when the car's been driven) no screech when I put it in R. Definitely seems to be related to the cold-weather, but not sure why it only occurs in reverse...

Also have noticed squeaking from the rear seat area when going over bumps (I believe there's a TSB on this), but here again the problem seems to go away once the interior of the car is warmed up.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by audi40
Since the temperatures have been down in the sub-30's lately, my brakes screech loudly when backing out of the garage every AM. As soon as I put the car in D and tap the brakes (to test), no more screech. Only happens when the car has been sitting overnigh in cold weather...during the day (when the car's been driven) no screech when I put it in R. Definitely seems to be related to the cold-weather, but not sure why it only occurs in reverse...

Also have noticed squeaking from the rear seat area when going over bumps (I believe there's a TSB on this), but here again the problem seems to go away once the interior of the car is warmed up.
i think its not a problem, it happens to my car, since i park in nYC streets LOL... and dont drive it for a couple of days and then when i do start it they make a bit of noise until u guess the rotors clean. Try backing it up in the garage, and in the AM when u leave u gonna be on D and see if it happens...

and i also have that annoying squeaking noise in rear. i just have no clue where is it coming from...
Old 01-18-2011, 06:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by audi40

Just sticking pads from the cold... I wouldn't worry unless it gets worse. Whens' the last time you had them inspected?
Old 01-18-2011, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rear squeak could be the folding rear seat lock next to the headrests. I just started getting it when it got cold out and havent gotten around to lubing it.