A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Bridgestone Potenza RE960A/S Pole Position Tires

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 04:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Bridgestone Potenza RE960A/S Pole Position Tires

Originally Posted by PFL1011
Forgot to ask, how you liking the Bridgestone Potenza RE960A/S Pole Position Tires? I need a new set and someone recommended these.
I like them very much, and I have them on my Acura too. They seem to offer great traction, especially in the wet. They seem to be relatively quiet and the cornering traction seems to be excellent. My Firestone dealer has done a good job for me in the past, and I like that I can get free rotation too as often as I bring them in.
Old 07-23-2009, 05:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't like them.

I'm trying to decide if I'm going to keep the ones I recently got. I went from the RE050's (summer tire, very soft but not the Pole Position version) to these and I'm NOT liking the 960A/S. I realize these are AS and the others weren't but the difference in handling, feel, steering response, etc. etc. is astounding. I really thought this tire would be at least close to the old ones. The 50's weren't rated all that well after all and the 960A/s is rated very high. Not the case, not even close. They are very quiet and ride nice enough. As long as you're just going in a straight line they're fine. lol

Thinking about Michelin Pilot Sport PS2's now or maybe Bridgestone's Potenza S-02 Pole Position (RE050A Pole Position). I want my old car back!

Anyone need a set of RE960A/S with about 300 miles on them!!??
Old 07-23-2009, 05:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Interesting, I found that the 960s are quite impressive for steering response, and I have found they handle much better than the stock tires. Not only that, traction is awesome in heavy rain. Here's a thread on the tire on Acura Zine.
Old 07-23-2009, 05:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by schalliol
Interesting, I found that the 960s are quite impressive for steering response, and I have found they handle much better than the stock tires. Not only that, traction is awesome in heavy rain. Here's a thread on the tire on Acura Zine.
I'm sure they're fine (even awesome) in rain and all that entails with an AS tire. I just can't believe the overall difference in my car. My only explanation is the softer summer "performance" tire makes one hell of a difference. We'll see soon enough. My car isn't even "fun" to drive anymore.
Old 07-23-2009, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Wow. I'd be interested to hear if any more have thoughts. I guess I don't know what it's like to have those summer tires on my car, but I have to say that my car is a lot more fun to drive with these tires over the ones it came with. It can turn on a dime, and like the ones on the Acura, the handling is excellent. It's even better on this all wheel drive car!
Old 07-23-2009, 06:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Wow. I'd be interested to hear if any more have thoughts.
Me too!
Old 07-23-2009, 06:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Bridgestone Potenza RE960A/S Pole Position Tires Reply to Thread

I am on my second set of RE960A/S tires and they have been great, especially for long highway drives. The great thing about these tires is that that they have the only Z-rated treadlife warranty (I've Bridgestone honor that for my 2nd set of tires), they are quiet, and good in snow and rain. My Pirellis that came as part of the 05 A6 3.2 Sport Package were great summer tires and fun in Miami, but they were an absolute nightmare in the rain and snow when I moved north to Washington (oh, they only lasted 18,000 miles.....and at $300 each, not worth the trade-off that I get with the RE960 A/S at $200 each...)
Old 07-23-2009, 07:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by sonnyfrommiami
I am on my second set of RE960A/S tires and they have been great, especially for long highway drives. The great thing about these tires is that that they have the only Z-rated treadlife warranty (I've Bridgestone honor that for my 2nd set of tires), they are quiet, and good in snow and rain.
I don't doubt any of the above. I guess I put a lot of value on the way my car "was" to the way it "is" now. It's okay at best. Feels like a slightly better than average 4 four door sedan now. Did feel like a sporty, nimble, quick, etc., higher end car. I miss that a lot so I have to make changes. I certainly didn't expect the performance drop when going to the RE960A/s. I expected a bit maybe but not a night and day difference.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Did anything else change at the time you did your tire change? Are you sure your tire pressure is appropriate? I've been looking all around and haven't found others to indicate anything similar about these tires. I could imagine a night and day difference if you are on the track, but even in tight hard cornering, I find these tires much better than the original Contis. In fact, I have a very very hard time getting any sort of sliding. Pretty much it seems no matter how hard I turn traction is impressive.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Did anything else change at the time you did your tire change? Are you sure your tire pressure is appropriate?
No and Yes.

I've been looking all around and haven't found others to indicate anything similar about these tires. I could imagine a night and day difference if you are on the track, but even in tight hard cornering, I find these tires much better than the original Contis. In fact, I have a very very hard time getting any sort of sliding. Pretty much it seems no matter how hard I turn traction is impressive.
I don't know about the original Contis. The 960A/S do have good traction. I'm not sure I can explain my disappointment and why any better than I have in numerous posts in both threads here. I think I expected too much I guess. I've asked Gary in the Tire and Wheel forum for his thoughts. I'm ready to change out is all I can tell ya!

Quick Reply: Bridgestone Potenza RE960A/S Pole Position Tires